General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 152/152/125

Height: 5'2

Mmmm that salad dressing looks good! Does the salad dressing mix have salt and sugar in it though? I am a little confused about what can go in salad dressings on this plan- since you hardly eat anything processed on this diet I don't see how a little salt in the dressing would make a big difference but maybe it does?

I am also all ready to start in earnest tomorrow jenjen- I had kind of started but it was my nephew's birthday today and I had some seriously non-ETL foods :-) All systems go tomorrow! The fridge is jam-packed with veggies!
Have a good week everyone.
rosiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #32  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome aboard the ETL train, Rosie!

Strictly speaking, no, I should not have used the packaged Italian dressing mix as a sort cut but after I made it, I went online and found this recipe for a low-sodium Italian salad mix you can make at home. It contains sugar but the amount should be reasonably nominal once mixed up in the tomato-based dressing. One and a half tablespoons of this mix equals a packet of the commercial mix like Good Seasons.

So mix this up and use 1-1/2 Tablespoons in place of the Good Seasons mix in the other recipe.

Low-sodium Italian Salad Mix

2 t oregano
1 t onion powder
2 t basil
2 t paprika
1 1/2 t pepper
2 T garlic powder
6 T granulated sugar

Mix and store in an airtight container. To make (non-low fat) dressing use 1 1/2 tablespoon mix with 3/4 cups vegetable oil and 1/4 cup wine vinegar. One and a half tablespoons of this mix equals a packet of the commercial mix like Good Seasons. Yields: 32 servings.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Day 1

Hey Ladies,

Today I'm starting Day 1. I expect it to be tough. I brought a ton of raw veggies with me to work for lunch---lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, & peppers. I have some Mrs. Dash no salt added seasoning that I'll add. I plan on cooking either Brussels sprouts or asparagus for dinner. I love roasted asparagus!

I'm still sore and didn't get up early enough to work out, so I plan on doing some kettlebell training this evening.

Both dressing recipes look really good. It's tough to cut out all salt and sugar. I do my best not to add any to a dish, but it's still difficult.

Hope everyone has a great day!
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #34  

Oh my goodness! This is actually kind of hard. I feel like I was constantly chomping my way through acres of veggies today and I still did not eat the 1lb of cooked vegetables (although i think i managed the greens). I thought I ate pretty well before but nowhere near the sheer volume of vegetables I ate in the past couple of days...

Also not feeling too great! I was so tired in the afternoon i had to take a nap! Luckily I am not working right now...I was supposed to go to the gym today but totally couldn't face it! Any words of wisdom? Has anyone experienced this kind of thing before?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #35  
Because I am.

Jen and Rosie, you're both doing great! Rosie, the 1 pound quantity is just an estimate. I manage 1 pound of cooked vegetables only because of the increased moisture content after cooking. I rarely make it to a full pound of raw vegetables! And, yes, I totally find that it takes me significantly longer to chomp through the acres. In addition to the fiber, eating slower helps to make me feel full. I also find that I have to floss my teeth after almost every meal because of vegetable fibers getting caught!

When you're detoxing from sugar (in particular) you may not feel too great the first week. At least that's how it works for me. I usually start to feel better after about a week.

Yesterday was a struggle for me in terms of warding off the urge to binge but I managed to stay on track with calories and exercise, so in the end, I made it. I don't like feeling that way, though!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #36  

I hear ya about taking longer to eat & the teething cleaning afterwards. Normally, I'd scarf down my lunch in about 10 minutes. Now, I'm actually using my lunch HOUR!

I made sauteed onions & peppers and added cumin, garlic powder & chili powder to it. Then added a can of low sodium black beans & some roasted corn. I put that over lettuce and had a "taco salad". Really hit the spot! It will be another meal tonight.

I don't really weigh my food. If I end up hungry, I just much on raw veggie or fruit. I haven't cut caffeine but I'm leaving the creamer out of my morning coffee. Normally in the evening I drink either water or unsweetened iced tea.

I did do about a 30 min workout last night with my kettlebells. I may do that again this evening.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #37  
Because I am.

Good job, Jen! You're doing great. I've been doing tossed salads lately. I made an Indian-style Saag the other day and have enough left for one more meal for dinner tomorrow night. Still on track with calories and my workout. Unfortunately, I have developed what I call a zinger in my hip. It's a painful nerve. It started after I started working out on the elliptical. Not sure why it's paining like this though.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #38  

Sounds like you guys are doing well. I managed to go for a jog yesterday so that was good! Feeling better, I think the sugar withdrawal is fading :-) I haven't been counting calories this time but just for fun I plugged everything I ate yesterday into sparkpeople and it was amazing! Very low calorie (like around a thousand calories) even after I had absolutely stuffed my face with vegetables. I also baked some slices of tofu with some soy sauce on them (i know, salty...) I actually then ate the grain I was not planning on eating as I have heard it is actually detrimental to weight loss to eat less than 1200 calories.
And I hit all the nutritional guidelines. On previous diets I have really had trouble getting enough iron (like lots of women I am anemic), calcium, protein and it was no problem here so I guess the book was true :-)

Good luck today everyone!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #39  

Worth, sorry to hear about your hip. Hope it goes away soon.

Rosiem, way to go on the exercise. I haven't been tracking calories, although I have in the past on ETL. I figure that with all of the nutrient dense foods, I'm eating, it doesn't really matter. I'm not starving myself.

I'm sure my coworkers love me. I just finished heating up the sauteed Brussels sprouts I cooked last night! Oh, well. I love them!

Hope y'all are having a great day.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #40  
Because I am.

Sounds like you're both doing really well, too.

The way I've been cooking brussels sprouts lately is to initially steam them in the microwave for 4 or 5 minutes, then spray with some butter-flavor cooking spray and toss with lemon pepper and salt and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.

We had leftover Saag for supper tonight. My husband was funny, as we were eating, the television news reported about the level of arsenic being recorded in rice. DH reached out and gently pushed the dish of rice away from his plate and toward me. I laughed and said, "Sorry about that."

Tonight's workout was 15 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the recumbent bike.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #41  

Hey ladies!

More Brussels sprouts for lunch today. Worth, that recipe sounds really good. I'll definitely try that in the future.

I have to admit, I buy the fresh, pre-sliced sprouts and already cut up onions and peppers and other pre-prepped veggies. It's just so much easier & I'm just cooking for me. If I have time, I enjoy doing the prep, but this week was crazy.

I'm going out of town tomorrow for the weekend. I doubt it will be vegan or even vegetarian, but I'm going to do my best to make healthy choices and limit meat/grain intake and focus on fruits & veggies.

Have a great day ladies.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #42  
Just watch me ...

Hi. I'd like to join in. I don't eat much meat, but then I eat junk instead of real meals. So this group will help keep me on track.

Starting now.....ETL
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #43  

Happy Weekend everybody! Update on my progress- I am finding this way of eating relatively sustainable except when i do anything social. I went over to my parent's house to visit and they had made a nice lunch with quiche and salad which of course i had to eat. Basically the only times I have slipped up on this diet is when visiting or going out. So many social interactions revolve around food and I am young and have a quite active social life! I haven't quite figured out how to solve this dilemma but I am hoping a few cheat meals a week won't do too much harm? Any suggestions? I don't have too much weight to lose but I pretty much haven't lost any yet :-( I am re- committing to the giant salads today!
Interestingly I am doing really well resisting the sugary treats though- what I like about Eat to Live is I just think about buying a brownie or what have you and think "you can't eat that" and then I don't think about it any more, whereas in previous diets (e.g. weight watchers), you have permission to eat it if you adjust other things you eat, but that never worked out for me. Much easier just to say- maybe in 20 lbs! Ha. Good luck everyone!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #44  
Because I am.

Wink Update

Exhale! Glad to see you joining in.

Jen, pre-prepped vegetables is a great way to go! We all have busy, busy lives so if buying prepped, fresh vegetables works for you, I say go for it! It's a wonderful way to stay on track. No excuses that way.

Rosie, you're doing great. : One thing you can do to avoid empty calories when you're out with friends is to skip the alcohol and stick to diet drinks. Eat good, solid meals with lots of fiber during the day when you know you're going out and have a wholesome snack like an apple or two, before going out. That way, you won't feel as hungry and won't eat as much of the pizza, nachos, or whatever is being served. You'll have a taste but be able to honestly tell people, I'm really not that hungry. If someone offers you sugar, tell them honestly, I'm not eating sugar right now.

Unfortunately, the less weight you have to lose, the harder it is to lose it! When you're having those big salads, keep track of the toppings you load on. Make sure to stay away from high-fat items like cheeses, olives, and croutons. Pick a low-fat dressing and stick to the 2 tablespoon serving size. I go so far as to measure mine out in a container at home to take along. (We do what we have to!)

Think about upping your activity level to burn more calories. Take the stairs; park further away from where you're going so you have to walk. Little stuff like that adds up.

Consider changing up your exercise routine to challenge muscle memory. If you do the same exercise routine over and over, your body gets use to it and eventually won't burn as many calories as when you started out. The biggest calorie burner I know of is interval training.

Are you doing any weight training? You may find that by doing weight training and shaping up your muscles you'll start looking longer and leaner, more trimmed and toned without significant weight loss.

As for me, I've been on track with my daily calorie target. I scored a loss of 1.2 pounds this week. I didn't sleep well this week which make things challenging. I pushed myself to do 40-60 minutes of exercise each evening after dinner until Thursday of this week then decided to give myself a two-day break. I was exhausted and felt very unwell. If I'd kept pushing myself to perform it would have triggered a binge and set me back to square one. So, I guess you could say I'm still working to find balance in my program.

Let's have a fantastic weekend, everyone!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #45  

Hey Ladies,

I'm not doing to well eating on plan this week. I'm not eating badly, just not vegan. I've been craving meat, so I think my body is trying to tell me something. Also, I haven't been able to do significant grocery shopping since my weekend away, which doesn't help!

I'm going to do my best to get back on track this weekend.

Sounds like y'all are doing great with exercise & eating. Way to go!