General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/180/110

Height: 5"1

Smile Susan's Weight Loss Journey: 75 lbs to lose...

It's Friday night.

I should be out or something but I am sitting here thinking about my weight issues.

My weight has been unmanable for a good 6 years. I have been making excuses left and right on why I am overweight: too busy, have a daughter, work, etc.

It's time I take accountability for my weight.

Every year when I see my doctor for a full physical, she is always concern about my weight. I am at high risk for diabetes and heart disease if I keep this up.

I am only 29 years old and my weight needs to be controlled or else it will be too late for me.

It is time to start changing my lifestyle and change my eating habits.

I am 5"1 feet. And I am 185 lbs. My BMI is 35.0

I am morbidly obese. Sigh...

My goal for this weight loss:

1) Eat 1,300 calories per day
2) Fast for 24 hours twice a week (Mondays & Fridays)

I am on this forum because I need support badly...

I will also read other people's stories for inspiration.

Wish me luck!

- S
HappySusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #2  
Jonah

S/C/G: 440/Ticker/220

Height: 5" 11

Welcome aboard Susan!
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

I don't know... I wouldn't do the fasting part just yet. I mean if you set the bar to high to fast you are more likely to slip up. A 1300 calorie diet is already tough to stick to.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with things.
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Susan, welcome to the forum! I agree with Drix about the fasting, but you gotta do whatever works for you.

Congrats on the first, and hardest step: getting started. Lots of folks with good advice here on the forum, and the before & afters are so inspirational.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 08-18-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

Welcome aboard and you can do this! I'm not a faster, but I think every *body* is different and things change as we go through them. There is no one path as everyone here will tell you. Good luck and I like you're my height LOL.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #7  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! My overall advice to you is to be gentle with yourself, be willing to try different approaches, and be patient and forward-looking. Best to you!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #8  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Welcome and good luck I'm 30 and decided to start losing for ME as in to keep ME around for a long, long time for my children. Health and the fear that I could easily have diabetes at 35 scared the **** out of me.

I started with little things. I started to substitute my food...swapping bad choices with healthier ones. Then, I exercised. I started doing Wii Just dance with my daughter, then Biggest Loser. I moved on to Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred (which I highly recommend), to a weight lifting schedule with cardio.

I've been on this weight loss journey for a little over a yr, lost 47lbs (not the faster weight loss but steady), went down 5 sizes, and feel like a different person. My children noticed the biggest difference.

I know it's hard, but you can totally do it. You made the biggest decision already-to make a change.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Hi Susan! Welcome! Congratulations on taking the 1st step!

I can relate for sure. Back in March when I restarted, I was 220 and my BMI was 36.6! I have 2 little ones, a 3 year old and an 8 month old. It can be tempting to use them as an excuse -- but really there are no valid excuses I've found.

You can do this! Just remember, that even if you current diet plan doesn't take, just keep adjusting things and trying! Some people do super well fasting twice a week, some people (like me) cannot handle it whatsoever. Listen to your body! This is a process, I've adjusted things DOZENS of times over the months. There will be struggles and hard times, there will be great victories and wonderful success! Just keep at it and you will be at your goal before you know it!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #10  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

Hi HappySusan!! I am 29 also and at the beginning of my journey too. Just joined 3fc last week and have enjoyed all the support and cheering on people give eachother.
My "wakeup call" came after seeing a picture of me. In my mind I don't weigh as much as that picture makes me look. It was the slap in the face I needed to formulate a plan and has made me stick with it for 1 1/2months so far. I'm 5'7" 250lb now and have been eating 1200-1400calories a day and walking on a treadmill a couple times a week for 45minutes (I also work 12-16hour days 3 days a week and NEVER get to sit down). I lost 12 pounds that first month despite going on vacation for 2 weeks of it (haven't weighed in this month yet).
It will be so nice to turn 35-years-old down the road and be HEALTHY won't it!! We can do this!
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #11  

Thumbs down Weight Gain :(

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for your AMAZING support! I really appreciate it!

My weekend was a flurry of things...sigh...

Today's weigh-in: 187 lbs. I literally gained 2 lbs from the weekend.

On Saturday: I didn't eat anything all day because of my busy schedule and went on a date with this guy. We went to all-you-can-eat sushi. Gosh...it was awful. Than I went to a guy friend's house to watch a movie and this guy ordered pizza...and I had FOUR pepporoni slices. Awful. Awful. Awful!

On Sunday: I went to Demetre for some strawberries and ice cream crepe with some people. And than had a BIG Greek dinner in the evening.

Now I know why I'm fat. Gosh...

I have nobody to blame but myself.

I fasted for 24 hours today. I stopped eating at 6pm on Sunday, skipped breakfast and and dinner today. And than had normal dinner at 6pm with lots of water.

I know a lot of people freak out when I say the word "fast" but I made sure that I knew what I was doing...

Studies have shown that fasting for 24 hours twice a week helps reduce your chances of diabetes and heart disease. And it also helps with weight loss. I made sure I did my research before I did this.

I find that I can stick to my diet during the weekday but when the weekend hits...everything comes crashing down. Going out with daughter or friends hits me really hard...

I have NO IDEA how to manage my weekends! Oh dear...

Today was a good day. I ate within my range. And I am satisfied. Not hungry at all.

I just planned out all my meals for tomorrow:

Breakfast: 1 large banana and a granola bar
Lunch: Chunky Beef Soup
Dinner: Spaghetti Bolognese
Snack: Thinsations Fudge Drizzled Caramel Popcorn (100 calories)

Wish me luck!

Once again...thank you so much for all your support *hugs*
Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/263/190

Height: 5'10

I agree with starting slow. Like they say, it's a marathon.
Kelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #13  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

There's a thread on here about intermittent fasting... I can't remember where it is though. There's some sound science. My "fasting" is from 7:00pm-7:00am every day... Well... Most days. IF is really good for some people.
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #14  

Talking Down to 185 lbs again...phew...

My day was "alright".

I ate about 1600 calories instead of 1300 calories. This is sooo hard for me! Oh geez!

But I refuse to be depressed about this. Time for me to be strong and pray that I can do this! I need to stay on track! The good news is that I am no longer eating more than 2000 calories a day! Phew!

I have started this Christian dieting called "At the Lord's Table" from Setting Captives Free. It is a 60-day program.

I realize that I am losing weight to idolize myself instead of God. So I need to change my motives.

My eyes should be on God. Not on looking good for vanity sake.

Through Him, I can do anything!

I am starting to realize that I might be in the wrong part of the forum. I realize that there's a Faith Based Support Group...

Will start posting there.

Thank you all for your support!

*Much hugs!*
Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I am a very big fan of intermittent fasting but I highly reccomend people get thier diets in order first and THEN add intermittent fasting.

Too much too fast can be difficult for some but if you can do it ... you'll lose the weight you need to lose very quickly.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote