3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Intuitive Eating #16 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/262957-intuitive-eating-16-a.html)

carolr3639 07-16-2012 11:39 AM

Intuitive Eating #16

Here it is, IE #16

carolr3639 07-16-2012 11:42 AM

A repeat that helps me.

This is a guest post written by Skwigg. This girl is a walking dictionary of food and nutrition facts, has read and tried MULTIPLE fitness plans, and every time I check, she’s read another “hot of the press” diet book. And, she tells it like it is.

skwigg

Well, it took like 25 years of trial and error, but I am a happy eater. I follow no rules. I count no calories. I’m completely over nutrient ratios, meal timing and measuring cups. Plus, as an added bonus, I’m not fat. Any time I’ve flirted with this “intuitive eating” stuff before, I’ve quickly become too fat for my little pants. This time I’m gradually losing. I’m 5’8″ and weigh 135-137 most days. I don’t know my percentage of body fat. It’s possible that I’m losing muscle and brains. I’m not concerned enough to get out the calipers. My Tanita scale tells me that I’m between 14% and 24% body fat. Helpful, eh? It’s like asking a Magic 8 Ball. The readout may as well say “Concentrate and ask again.” Or “Signs point to yes.” All I know is that my yoga pants are loose! Woohoo!

So, why did intuitive eating work this time when it’s destroyed my abs so many times before? I’ve been trying to figure that out. I know that in the past I’ve used intuitive eating as an excuse to binge. I’d turn to it after a bout of really restrictive dieting, or when I couldn’t face my nutrition software, or when I wasn’t accountable to a trainer. My “intuition” would tell me to eat boxes of glazed donuts and sheets of cookies. I’d gain weight, scoff at the total lameness of this “embrace your inner cow” intuitive hoody-hoo, and go right back to obsessive dieting, tracking and measuring. I wrote down every single thing I ate or drank for TWO YEARS. That was not fun, and actually not helpful.

I’m more relaxed now. I don’t make food decisions from a place of frustration and panic. My intuition really likes strawberries. I eat chocolate every day. I like bagels. I like to eat out. I’m not limiting myself to dieter food but I’m very aware of portions. I eat one Cadbury Egg, not six. I eat mini-bagels, not those bakery bagels the size of my head. I understand that a typical restaurant serving is enough to feed four people.

Last time I tried intuitive eating, portion control was my downfall. I believed those books that said to eat as many cookies as I wanted and that eventually I wouldn’t want as many. Right!! Weeks later, I still wanted every cookie that had ever been baked. I was reeling out of control on a blood sugar rollercoaster. The more junk I ate, the more junk I wanted. I was never able to pull it together enough to even maintain my weight, much less lose.

Some things that really helped me this time:

- I weigh myself every day. If you’re not going to count calories or measure your food, you’d better be keeping an eye on something. It could be weight, waist measurement, a caliper pinch, a pair of jeans, but you need some kind of objective feedback. If you choose not to track your food and not to look at any of your measurements, then you’d better go buy some fat pants.

- I eat what I want but I always control portions. Generally, the more I want something, the more I need to watch out. I can play fast and loose with spinach but I’d better take my ice cream in a single-serving container.

- I share. I never used to share before. Sharing is the greatest thing ever! You get to eat whatever you want and make everyone around you fat. Try it! Order the double-fudge super cookie dough caramel delight. Eat three bites and watch your dining companions devour the rest of it like hungry hyenas. Share your French fries. Split the sandwich. Order three tacos and only eat one of them. It’s exhilarating! Plus, I always have great leftovers.

- I strike a nice balance of healthy food and treats. You can’t eat an all-treat diet and look or feel very good. I eat loads of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. I love whole grains. I eat nuts and seeds like I’m a squirrel. I’m a sucker for a big salad. I enjoy lean protein as long as it’s not forced upon me every 2-3 hours. I eat a lot of healthy whole foods but I like to add a Pop Tart or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup for good measure.

- I don’t eat six times per day, or three times per day, or three meals and two snacks. I don’t follow anybody else’s rules because how does the book or the calculator know what I’m doing or when I’m going to be hungry? It doesn’t. So, I eat when I feel like it. On an active, hungry day I might eat 5-6 times. On a lazy day with restaurant food, I might eat 2-3 times. I’m no longer dumb enough try to force three more meals after lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.

- I grasp the importance of good nutrition. I’m not knocking diet plans or nutrition programs, especially if you’re trying to achieve a sports performance or body comp goal. A little bit of structure can be good. I base my eating on the healthy principles I’ve learned but I don’t allow myself to become a slave to the details. And don’t believe that I can eat as many cookies as I want and still lose weight. Big derrrr there!

- I flow. That’s significant because I used to battle. I battled my weight. I struggled with willpower. I waged a war against fat. I fought with the numbers. I kicked myself when I slipped. My mindset was one big bloody massacre. My fitness goals were always at odds with what I really wanted, which was to relax and eat Cheetos. Now, if I want to relax and eat Cheetos, I do so immediately. No struggle. No stress. No guilt. I know that for my next meal I’ll choose something a little more ab-friendly.

carolr3639 07-16-2012 12:04 PM

If you know how to get 16 in the heading let me know.

Ruthxxx 07-16-2012 12:17 PM

I just fixed it for you. I have no idea what IE stands for though.

carolr3639 07-16-2012 12:42 PM

Thanks, Ruth.........intuitive eating.

pattygirl63 07-16-2012 12:55 PM

Ruthie - Hi, I.E. stands for Intuitive Eating.

Sonja Banana WELCOME!! to the IE group. I agree with Obie. I don't want to count anything eiher especilly long term so IE is so much easier. I eat more of a low carb most of the time, however, not extremely low. Somedays I may eat breakfast if really want it but on days I don't want it I don't. I ate intuitively when I was growing up and when single. I was always thin when I ate this way. I also agree that you have to find the way that IE will work for you.

Obie Good post.

Carolr Haven't had a chance to read the ariticle yet but I know it will be really good. So thanks in advance.

We went out to Steak 'n Shake after church Sunday. I've bee wanting to try their Guacamole burger but was always dieting and couldn't. I decided to order it and totally enjoyed. Didn't eat all the fries that came with it only because I didnt want them. IE makes eating out such a joy. Came home and didn't eat a whole lot because I ate what I wanted. I think when we eat what we want that we won't get a lot of cravings.

Obsidianbbw 07-16-2012 01:17 PM

Love steak and shake....and tha avocado burger is great. Have a great day everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattygirl63 (Post 4406790)
Ruthie - Hi, I.E. stands for Intuitive Eating.

Sonja Banana WELCOME!! to the IE group. I agree with Obie. I don't want to count anything eiher especilly long term so IE is so much easier. I eat more of a low carb most of the time, however, not extremely low. Somedays I may eat breakfast if really want it but on days I don't want it I don't. I ate intuitively when I was growing up and when single. I was always thin when I ate this way. I also agree that you have to find the way that IE will work for you.

Obie Good post.

Carolr Haven't had a chance to read the ariticle yet but I know it will be really good. So thanks in advance.

We went out to Steak 'n Shake after church Sunday. I've bee wanting to try their Guacamole burger but was always dieting and couldn't. I decided to order it and totally enjoyed. Didn't eat all the fries that came with it only because I didnt want them. IE makes eating out such a joy. Came home and didn't eat a whole lot because I ate what I wanted. I think when we eat what we want that we won't get a lot of cravings.

pattygirl63 07-16-2012 02:25 PM

Carolr That article is sure worth reading over and over again. And it proves it will work. Thanks again.

TamTam 07-16-2012 04:40 PM

Tank B and Tank P

From the Appetite Awareness Workbook:

The experience of hunger is tricky. When you feel hungry, you may or may not have a biological need for food. You may know that you aren't truly hungry, but you still want to eat. Your body operates as if you are a car with two gas tanks. Tank B(biological hunger) is the tank for nourishing your physical body. It needs to be filled with food. Tank P (phychological hunger) is the tank for nourishing your spirit. Food doesn't fill Tank P, so you don't feel satisfied even if you eat. Hunger signals coming from Tank P indiate that you have psychological needs that aren't being met.
When you can't tell the difference between biological and phychological hunger, you are likely to try to satisfy phychological hungers with food. Eating is an easier and simpler solution than trying to meet complicated psychological needs. food may temporarily mask the discomfort of unmet phychological needs, but it takes a lot of food to silence a psychological hunger signal. Since no amount of food really fills Tank P, you are likely to feel "hungry" again soon no matter how much you eat.
When Tank B is empty, this is tru hunger. This signal appropriately tells you to eat. When Tank P is empty, you get a false hunger signal Using food to meet other needs is not very effective; it doesn't change anything that is going on in your life. To boot, if you eat too much you become overweight, which just adds another problem to your life.

Thoughts?

pattygirl63 07-16-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatholicCajun (Post 4407104)
From the Appetite Awareness Workbook:

The experience of hunger is tricky. When you feel hungry, you may or may not have a biological need for food. You may know that you aren't truly hungry, but you still want to eat. Your body operates as if you are a car with two gas tanks. Tank B(biological hunger) is the tank for nourishing your physical body. It needs to be filled with food. Tank P (phychological hunger) is the tank for nourishing your spirit. Food doesn't fill Tank P, so you don't feel satisfied even if you eat. Hunger signals coming from Tank P indiate that you have psychological needs that aren't being met.
When you can't tell the difference between biological and phychological hunger, you are likely to try to satisfy phychological hungers with food. Eating is an easier and simpler solution than trying to meet complicated psychological needs. food may temporarily mask the discomfort of unmet phychological needs, but it takes a lot of food to silence a psychological hunger signal. Since no amount of food really fills Tank P, you are likely to feel "hungry" again soon no matter how much you eat.
When Tank B is empty, this is tru hunger. This signal appropriately tells you to eat. When Tank P is empty, you get a false hunger signal Using food to meet other needs is not very effective; it doesn't change anything that is going on in your life. To boot, if you eat too much you become overweight, which just adds another problem to your life.

Thoughts?

I've heard something similar to this years ago. It makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for sharing.

Obsidianbbw 07-16-2012 07:57 PM

I think this is me now...I have kinda been in the places the writer describes and the weight isn't falling off, but I am pretty ok with where i am now. Everything seems to have fallin into place (fingers crossed)

I like that he does IE with safety guards. I weigh myself once a week as a guide.

I'm flowing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolr3639 (Post 4406675)
A repeat that helps me.

This is a guest post written by Skwigg. This girl is a walking dictionary of food and nutrition facts, has read and tried MULTIPLE fitness plans, and every time I check, she’s read another “hot of the press” diet book. And, she tells it like it is.

skwigg

Well, it took like 25 years of trial and error, but I am a happy eater. I follow no rules. I count no calories. I’m completely over nutrient ratios, meal timing and measuring cups. Plus, as an added bonus, I’m not fat. Any time I’ve flirted with this “intuitive eating” stuff before, I’ve quickly become too fat for my little pants. This time I’m gradually losing. I’m 5’8″ and weigh 135-137 most days. I don’t know my percentage of body fat. It’s possible that I’m losing muscle and brains. I’m not concerned enough to get out the calipers. My Tanita scale tells me that I’m between 14% and 24% body fat. Helpful, eh? It’s like asking a Magic 8 Ball. The readout may as well say “Concentrate and ask again.” Or “Signs point to yes.” All I know is that my yoga pants are loose! Woohoo!

So, why did intuitive eating work this time when it’s destroyed my abs so many times before? I’ve been trying to figure that out. I know that in the past I’ve used intuitive eating as an excuse to binge. I’d turn to it after a bout of really restrictive dieting, or when I couldn’t face my nutrition software, or when I wasn’t accountable to a trainer. My “intuition” would tell me to eat boxes of glazed donuts and sheets of cookies. I’d gain weight, scoff at the total lameness of this “embrace your inner cow” intuitive hoody-hoo, and go right back to obsessive dieting, tracking and measuring. I wrote down every single thing I ate or drank for TWO YEARS. That was not fun, and actually not helpful.

I’m more relaxed now. I don’t make food decisions from a place of frustration and panic. My intuition really likes strawberries. I eat chocolate every day. I like bagels. I like to eat out. I’m not limiting myself to dieter food but I’m very aware of portions. I eat one Cadbury Egg, not six. I eat mini-bagels, not those bakery bagels the size of my head. I understand that a typical restaurant serving is enough to feed four people.

Last time I tried intuitive eating, portion control was my downfall. I believed those books that said to eat as many cookies as I wanted and that eventually I wouldn’t want as many. Right!! Weeks later, I still wanted every cookie that had ever been baked. I was reeling out of control on a blood sugar rollercoaster. The more junk I ate, the more junk I wanted. I was never able to pull it together enough to even maintain my weight, much less lose.

Some things that really helped me this time:

- I weigh myself every day. If you’re not going to count calories or measure your food, you’d better be keeping an eye on something. It could be weight, waist measurement, a caliper pinch, a pair of jeans, but you need some kind of objective feedback. If you choose not to track your food and not to look at any of your measurements, then you’d better go buy some fat pants.

- I eat what I want but I always control portions. Generally, the more I want something, the more I need to watch out. I can play fast and loose with spinach but I’d better take my ice cream in a single-serving container.

- I share. I never used to share before. Sharing is the greatest thing ever! You get to eat whatever you want and make everyone around you fat. Try it! Order the double-fudge super cookie dough caramel delight. Eat three bites and watch your dining companions devour the rest of it like hungry hyenas. Share your French fries. Split the sandwich. Order three tacos and only eat one of them. It’s exhilarating! Plus, I always have great leftovers.

- I strike a nice balance of healthy food and treats. You can’t eat an all-treat diet and look or feel very good. I eat loads of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. I love whole grains. I eat nuts and seeds like I’m a squirrel. I’m a sucker for a big salad. I enjoy lean protein as long as it’s not forced upon me every 2-3 hours. I eat a lot of healthy whole foods but I like to add a Pop Tart or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup for good measure.

- I don’t eat six times per day, or three times per day, or three meals and two snacks. I don’t follow anybody else’s rules because how does the book or the calculator know what I’m doing or when I’m going to be hungry? It doesn’t. So, I eat when I feel like it. On an active, hungry day I might eat 5-6 times. On a lazy day with restaurant food, I might eat 2-3 times. I’m no longer dumb enough try to force three more meals after lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.

- I grasp the importance of good nutrition. I’m not knocking diet plans or nutrition programs, especially if you’re trying to achieve a sports performance or body comp goal. A little bit of structure can be good. I base my eating on the healthy principles I’ve learned but I don’t allow myself to become a slave to the details. And don’t believe that I can eat as many cookies as I want and still lose weight. Big derrrr there!

- I flow. That’s significant because I used to battle. I battled my weight. I struggled with willpower. I waged a war against fat. I fought with the numbers. I kicked myself when I slipped. My mindset was one big bloody massacre. My fitness goals were always at odds with what I really wanted, which was to relax and eat Cheetos. Now, if I want to relax and eat Cheetos, I do so immediately. No struggle. No stress. No guilt. I know that for my next meal I’ll choose something a little more ab-friendly.

Sonia Banana 07-16-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatholicCajun (Post 4407104)
Eating is an easier and simpler solution than trying to meet complicated psychological needs. food may temporarily mask the discomfort of unmet phychological needs, but it takes a lot of food to silence a psychological hunger signal. Since no amount of food really fills Tank P, you are likely to feel "hungry" again soon no matter how much you eat... To boot, if you eat too much you become overweight, which just adds another problem to your life.

While I agree with the need to distinguish between physical and psychological hunger, I'm not convinced by the idea of "unmet psychological needs." It strikes me as the kind of myth that shrinks would want to spread to keep themselves in business, no?

Personally, I almost always feel like eating and when the urge becomes really strong I could be nervous, or happy, or angry, and calm—there's no emotional trigger. When I stopped bingeing I didn't feel like some deep psychological need rose to the surface; nothing in my life changed except that I felt a lot more in control. I tend to actually think that the negative emotions that we associate with overeating are directly caused by the overeating itself, and nothing else. When you feel fat and bloated it's easy to think that everything in your life is harder.

My philosophy is that if you can't feel it in your stomach, it's not hunger. It's just deep-rooted instincts that don't apply to modern life. From an evolutionary standpoint, it's very advantageous to eat at every opportunity, so of course our brains will trick us into thinking we're hungry. But it doesn't mean anything and we don't have to pay it any attention.

carolr3639 07-17-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

My philosophy is that if you can't feel it in your stomach, it's not hunger. It's just deep-rooted instincts that don't apply to modern life. From an evolutionary standpoint, it's very advantageous to eat at every opportunity, so of course our brains will trick us into thinking we're hungry. But it doesn't mean anything and we don't have to pay it any attention.
Very interesting.

pattygirl63 07-17-2012 03:52 PM

I started reading The Eden Diet and found the workbook and decided that since my attitude has changed that I am so ready to study this book. So I am starting it today. Tammy Are you doing The Eden Diet/workbook?

Quote:

Sonia wrote...While I agree with the need to distinguish between physical and psychological hunger, I'm not convinced by the idea of "unmet psychological needs
Sonia - Your reasoning is interesting. However, in my own experience, I personally had a lot of psychological/emotional eating myself which was caused by different things and situations that happened to me in my life. Learning what the psychological/emotional triggers were has helped a lot to get control of my eating for which I am so thankful.

Quote:

Frome the article Carolrshared... So, why did intuitive eating work this time when it’s destroyed my abs so many times before? I’ve been trying to figure that out. I know that in the past I’ve used intuitive eating as an excuse to binge. I’d turn to it after a bout of really restrictive dieting and go right back to obsessive dieting, tracking and measuring. I wrote down every single thing I ate or drank. That was not fun, and actually not helpful.

I’m more relaxed now. I don’t make food decisions from a place of frustration and panic. My intuition really likes strawberries. I eat chocolate every day. I like to eat out. I’m not limiting myself to dieter food but I’m very aware of portions.

In some ways and a few changes, I could have written this myself. I believe I also used IE to binge in the past. For me it is potato chips not cookies. I'm like an alcoholic with chips... once they are open, I can't put them down until I eat them all. Now I'm more relaxed and I know I can eat whatever I want except I have to admit that at this point "potato chips" are one thing I cannot eat because it turns into a binge. My attitude now is that I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want. It doesn't have to be meal time or snack time. I don't eat 3x a day or 2-3 snacks each day. I eat when I am hungry. Sometimes, I think of something I want to eat, but I am busy so I wait until I'm through with what I'm doing only to realize that I've that I have forgotten what I was going to eat and what I thought was hunger is totally gone.

Carolr You have no idea how this article has helped me. It came just when I needed it to show me that while I don't want to get into rules too much with IE, I love the way this writer has found ways to make IE work for him/her and confirms for me that some of the things he/she is doing that I do myself will work. I think we do learn or create little things I have read that others do or have done. For example, I try to leave at least 1 bite of food on my plate to re-enforce the idea that I DO NOT have to eat everything on my plate. However, it is not a hard fast rule written in stone, because if I really want to eat everything, I do.

I've come to believe that Intuitive Eating is a personal thing that we have to make our own and learn to do it the way it fits us and our lifestyle.

TamTam 07-17-2012 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=pattygirl63;4408280]I started reading The Eden Diet and found the workbook and decided that since my attitude has changed that I am so ready to study this book. So I am starting it today. Tammy Are you doing The Eden Diet/workbook?
QUOTE]

Yes, I am doing the Eden Book and Workbook. I read the book already and now I am doing the workbook but I am going slower this time to absorb it more. I also have her cd's and the first one is the battle with the flesh, I have not had a chance to listen to it yet, but I plan on doing so. There is a forum for those of us following the Eden DIet. If you google it and go to the website there is a community you can sign up for. God BLess and keep me update on your progress. Tammy:hug:

pattygirl63 07-18-2012 09:25 AM

Tammy - I'm going to be behind you a bit as I am reading chapter 3 of the book and doing as she said this time. I am reading the book first. I think I rushed through everything last time and I've decided to take it slow and do what she says. Didn't remember about a cd. I'll have to check int that. I took a Bible lesson from a Pastor friend one time and I remember him saying to me "Read all the scripture references even if you know them by heart". I'm sure some of it was a discipline thing but it was also because so many times we see something we didn't see before. So I've decided that is the way I have to do The Eden Diet book. Although I may know some things, I'm sure there are things I don't. Add to the fact that we are having to learn the lies or false things we've learned through dieting, I think it is more important to follow the process as she guides. Thanks for sharing with me about the forum. I will check it out.

Truffle 07-18-2012 01:18 PM

Hi, ladies...Haven't had a chance to drop by this thread for several days, very busy.

My grandson wanted to do a yard sale this past weekend, so my hubby said okay, he'd do one with him. (I hate yard sales.) Wouldn't you know it, the weekend they chose was a STIFLING heatwave. We roasted sitting out there from Friday to Sunday. I was really amazed to see all the people who came out in the heat just to buy a few "treasures". Even though I don't want anything to do with a yard sale, I couldn't stand being in the house because it was just too hot. We took a fan out into the yard to create a slight breeze, and I sat and read a book most of the time.

So far the heatwave has lasted for six days. I don't think we're supposed to reach 90 today. I hope not.

It was really too hot to eat much of anything all weekend. I think we lived on watermelon, pasta salad, and ice cream bars.

My weight has been zig-zagging up and down the scale within a four-pound range, which is fine with me. Too hot to care about the scale anyway when it's so hot and sticky that you need half a can of powder just to be able to get dressed in the morning. :p

Carol, on the other page I noticed that you said you didn't like to eat out any more. I've NEVER enjoyed eating out. Between being squeamish about food cooked in somebody else's kitchen (hate church potlucks too), and having worked in several food establishments, I just don't enjoy eating food that I don't know where it was prepared, if the place was clean, if the cook washed her/his hands, etc.

I always tell my hubby that if I was forced to eat out for every meal, I'd be a TOOTHPICK!

My oldest grandson will graduate from high school in two years, and my goal is to be able to be small enough and fit enough to go up in the bleachers to sit, in case there's no seating on the main floor.

I have a long way to go, but I'm not going to diet to do it. I'm looking forward to cooler weather so I can get a lot more active than I am at the moment.

Have a great day, and hope you're all staying as cool as possible!

carolr3639 07-18-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Carol, on the other page I noticed that you said you didn't like to eat out any more. I've NEVER enjoyed eating out. Between being squeamish about food cooked in somebody else's kitchen (hate church potlucks too), and having worked in several food establishments, I just don't enjoy eating food that I don't know where it was prepared, if the place was clean, if the cook washed her/his hands, etc.
I know what you mean, Becky. I tilled the garden this morning because we're busy the next two evenings. Picked beans last night. Losing a little again. So thankful.

pattygirl63 07-19-2012 11:56 AM

I'm reading The Eden Diet book again. Thought I would share some from the book. She talks about how 'hunger pangs" were given to us by God so we would know when to eat. Diets teach us to eat by the clock or as my doc told me "so you won't get hungry". Because of diets, we actually learn to fear and avoid that natural feeling of "hunger pangs". She also brings out the fact that "diet foods" makes us fat because we are duped into thinking "psychologically" that we can have more. So we eat more/extra diet food because we think it is safe. No wonder we have gained weight over the years while dieting because we end up bingeing on the "safe" diet food. It's like if it is "diet" we seem to think it has no calories. :?:

carolr3639 07-19-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Because of diets, we actually learn to fear and avoid that natural feeling of "hunger pangs".
Amen to that.

Obsidianbbw 07-19-2012 05:02 PM

Hey ladies....Hope everyone is doing well. My IE is interesting...still low carbing, but my head is finally catching up to the fact i"m not cheating so cravings are starting to hit. I wanted a donut...I had jelly on my toast instead to see if it was just the sweet I want. If I am still feeling it on my early day next week I'll consider the donut.

Wanted rice...decided to have sushi made with brown rice, which is barely a 1/4 of a cup of cooked rice...if that. Anyway..the weird thing was I didn't need a ton of rice. I just missed the texture of it. 6 sushi rolls eaten slowly and I am good.

We'll see how the donut works out.

pattygirl63 07-19-2012 05:09 PM

You know I have wondered how some lowfat foods like margarine etc can be considered lowfat when it is made from fat. I was amazed when she tells in the book about a a diet margarine advertised as having 5 cals per 1 Tbls because it has no triglyceride fat but it could possibly have up to 50 or 60 cals in mono- or diglycerides instead. That is called "hidden" fats.

I also found it interesting how she ate diet tv dinners in college which was expensive for a college student and now she realizes that she could have had a PG&J sandwich and been a lot happier and it would have been cheaper. While she admits that it is important to eat healthier foods, she says when we want something else example, we want what some call a "junk" food instead and maybe there is little if any difference int he calories, we should choose the food we want. Reason being that if you eat what you think you should instead of what you wanted then later you may decided to "reward" yourself for being "good" or you may end up going on a binge. She also explains in the book an incident that happened to me many, many times in the past. So many times in the past, I have broken down and eaten a "forbidden" food while dieting and then maybe I ate more than a serving of the food (say ate 3 cookies instead of 2) and then I would think "well, I have blown it now so I may as well eat more and start over tomorrow). If you're not dieting and free to eat what you want and there is no guilt, you won't feel like you did something wrong if you eat 1 more cookie if a serving is 2 cookies. Hopefully you won't feel tempted to binge because you know you can have another if you "really" want it.

The main thing I see that I didn't seem to catch last time I read this book is that you can eat whatever you want when you eat... AS LONG AS YOU ARE HUNGRY. The key is learning REAL STOMACH HUNGER. Of course this is a process and we won't get it Perfect everytime. So we must learn to be patient with ourselves.

pattygirl63 07-19-2012 05:24 PM

Obie I always said I would do IE/low carb, but I'm eating carbs and I'm finding that I am not really hungry.

Also, I finally unerstand from this book about sweetners. "NO" she does not say give up sweetners at least not from what I've read so far. Just started Chapter 4. But she does tell of her experience with diet coke. Now she seems to have been a person who sipped on diet drinks like some people (my deceased DH was one) who drank coffee constantly. She realized that she used it like a baby with a pacifier and the sweetness of the diet drink caused her to want to eat sweets. It made me think of how I always chewed sf gum because I reasoned that it kept me from eating sweets. However, now that I read her story, I think it set me up to crave sweets . I grew up with a Mama who always had sweets around to the point that I actually did not want sweets. Years later I only wanted sweets once a month during TOM. The day that I started craving sweets, I could not believe it. Now I'm thinking that the sweetners may be the culprit. I don't know if I can give up my sweetner 100% but I sure am going to cut way back.

I found this to be extremely interesting.

Obsidianbbw 07-20-2012 08:43 AM

Aside from weight loss my body doesn't do well with rice, potatoes and pasta...I don't feel well, digesting seems to take forever and yeah some other stuff that is TMI just doesn't work...so I don't have them very so often.

I eat things that are forbidden in low carb land, I just don't eat them very often and in moderation. I would rather eat a lil then have a full on binge.

Carbs will fill you faster than most anything else. For me it just depends on that meal. Yesterday for lunch I wanted the texture of rice so I had sushi. I had been thinking about Chipotle, but when i checked in with my stomach I didn't want all that much rice. Last night I wasn't in the mood for anything really but I wanted to eat so I had smoked salmon and cheese. It took me a couple hours to settle on something I really wanted. If a huge bowl of rice had been sitting in front of me last night I would have rejected it. FYI I do not normally eat that much fish...Right now I am wanting some salmon and I think I may go ahead and have the donut...still playing with the idea of it. I'm hungry, about a 3, but I can wait till I figure it out....so not too pressed.

One of the things reasons I am not rushing on the donut is it isn't forbidden, I'm not hiding. If I eat it the angry diet god isn't going to come down and smite me and make me feel bad. It isn't going anywhere and I'll get to it when im good and ready.

About the eating out, maybe its from living in NY or just being a foodie, but i love eating out..one of my downfalls and how I gained all this weight.

Trying to eat slower....seems kinda hit and miss if I remember...but eh its a process.
Hope everyone has a good weekend.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattygirl63 (Post 4410711)
Obie I always said I would do IE/low carb, but I'm eating carbs and I'm finding that I am not really hungry.

TamTam 07-20-2012 01:35 PM

Cd's

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattygirl63 (Post 4408903)
Tammy - I'm going to be behind you a bit as I am reading chapter 3 of the book and doing as she said this time. I am reading the book first. I think I rushed through everything last time and I've decided to take it slow and do what she says. Didn't remember about a cd. I'll have to check int that. I took a Bible lesson from a Pastor friend one time and I remember him saying to me "Read all the scripture references even if you know them by heart". I'm sure some of it was a discipline thing but it was also because so many times we see something we didn't see before. So I've decided that is the way I have to do The Eden Diet book. Although I may know some things, I'm sure there are things I don't. Add to the fact that we are having to learn the lies or false things we've learned through dieting, I think it is more important to follow the process as she guides. Thanks for sharing with me about the forum. I will check it out.

The CD's are motivational CD's not the book on CD, although the book may be on CD.

pattygirl63 07-20-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 4411435)
The CD's are motivational CD's not the book on CD, although the book may be on CD.

Thanks Tammy. I got the newsletter?? today and she talked about the scripture cd and thought I would try to order it. It would probably be good to relax and listen to those once a day.

I am probably going to take longer than the 7 days to read the book, but I want to do this at my own pace as I really want this to work for me. I'm not going to race through it.

pattygirl63 07-20-2012 07:20 PM

Can't remember if I told y'all that I bought me a recumbent stationary bike and got it Wednesday. I did 25 min Wednesday ngiht and did 45 minutes yesterday and then today I did 45 minutes on the bike this morning intending for that to be it. However I decided to ride some more when I called my Daddy back in TX. I ended up doing 1hr of exercise on it for today. Woohoo. I read the reviews on this bike before I bought it and some of the people said that it was addictive and they seemed to ride it more and more. I guess they were right. I am so thrilled with myself.;)

Obsidianbbw 07-21-2012 08:02 AM

Congratulations Glad you found an exercise you like.:carrot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattygirl63 (Post 4411693)
I read the reviews on this bike before I bought it and some of the people said that it was addictive and they seemed to ride it more and more. I guess they were right. I am so thrilled with myself.;)

So I did all that talking about carbs and hunger and ended up waiting way too long to eat...Going to the wholefoods buffet, being about a 7 hungry, getting a scoop of mac and cheese along with a big tub of salad and veggies and just eating the mac and cheese. I ended up nibbling on the other stuff though out the day and that was my only meal. I was late for work, but realized I"m already late...and forced myself to count how many times I was chewing...and i think that stopped me from overeating because after about 15 mouth fulls I didn't want anymore and saved the rest.

So my goal this week is to eat something before I leave the house...I get up about 6 or 7 and not having my first meal till almost noon on some days is a problem.

Things have cooled off here on the east coast so Im going to start working out tomorrow or monday.

Darby1 07-21-2012 04:26 PM

Hello,
I read Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole many years ago, and decided it wasn't for me. I played around with it for a bit, but I was young and was able to lose weight very quickly by doing crazy calorie restrictive diets. I really wish I'd stuck to it, because it would just be second nature to me now!

Anyway, I lost 50 lbs in 2009 doing WW, and maintained in 2010. In 2011 we had a terrible year, just one thing after another happened and, being an emotional eater, I wasn't able to process what was happening except by overeating. I gained about 35 lbs back. So here we are in 2012 and I've tried to get back into WW and I've tried calorie counting and I just can't face it. So I'd like to really make a commitment to IE.

I've only been doing it for about 3 days, but I've already had some successes. On Thursdays I volunteer at a program that puts horses together with soldiers with PTSD. I love it, but it stresses me out very badly. I literally feel sick to my stomach before I drive there. And then afterwards I go home and eat my feelings away. This week, however, I had a moment to sit by myself before I went home and really think about what happened and why I get so upset. I went home and had a normal lunch and didn't go through the cabinets looking for anything and everything looking for something to fill the void.

Last night my husband brought home a pizza and I ate my first piece slowly, decided I wanted a second piece, and left it at that. My husband was in shock, as we generally split a large pizza between us.

Anyway, I'm being pretty long winded here, and I apologize, but I'm very excited about this.

I do have a question, though. I'm having a hard time figuring out when I'm actually hungry. The other day I waited too long (but didn't realize I was hungry) and got dizzy. Any tips on how to handle that?

Thanks so much, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

pattygirl63 07-21-2012 05:18 PM

Tammy I ordered the cd on Battling the Flesh. Should get it sometime next week.

Obie There are still some carbs I am afraid to eat at this point... chips (no way I can eat a hand full or a serving without binging). I love rice and thought I could never live without potatoes, but I since I learned that rice especiall Asian which is my favorite causes the blood sugar to skyrocket, I'm afraid to eat it and I very rarely have potatoes or pasta even doing IE.

Darby WELCOME!!! One thing that the Eden book recommends is to make it a learning experience. Example make note of the experience you had of waiting too long of how you felt. Did you have any signal before you got to the point of being dizzy that you could recognize next time so you don't let it go that far? From what I understand, there is no "one size fits all" way of recognizing hunger. Some people have a headache that triggers that they need to eat something. Some people have rumbling in their tummy. From what I understand, we have to learn what signal our body as an individual sends. She gives the Apple Test. Example, say you want a piece of cheesecake... visualize a plate with a delicious red apple and a slice of cheesecake. Then you ask yourself, "Am I hungry enough to eat the apple?" If the answer is "NO" then you are not "really" hungry because if you were really, really hungry even the apple would satisfy your hunger. So she say wait longer. When the apple looks good enough to satisfy your hunger then you are really hungry and then you can have the piece of cheesecake. The key seems to be eating what you really are hungry for in moderation but ONLY when you are really hungry. She said some people could binge on an apple and some people hate apples, so you need to make the test food a food that is neutral to you. For example it could be a celery test. We must be patient with ourselves and work toward improving not perfection. Hope this helps.

I guess I have to back off on the bike riding and more reasonable with it. I did too much to soon and having problems with my knee today so I'll lay off of it today and tomorrow and then start back Monday and do 30 minutes, 3 days a week and work up to 30 minutes 4 days.

Carolr and others :wave:

pattygirl63 07-22-2012 01:44 PM

I thought this might help us a little better with learning how to know when we are satisfied when eating. It is taken from pages 112-113 of "The Eden Diet" book by Rita Hancock, MD.

Eating "with" vs. "for" Satisfaction

I believe there is a difference between eating "with" satisfaction and eating "for" satisfaction. To eat "with" satisfaction denotes a mind-set, whereas to eat "for" satisfaction denotes a pursuit.

People who know how to eat "with" satisfaction generally don't feel guilt or shame if they eat fattening food. They eat with a mind-set of joy and thankfulness, thinking of the food as a lavish gift from God, and the mindset leads to gretaer psychological and emotional satisfaction from the eating experience.

On the other hand, some people who eat "for" satisfaction can be bottomless pits for food. That's especially true for emotional eaters. They feel bad deep-down, so they eat large portions of food for pleasure and for a momentary distraction from their ill feelings.

Satisfactions is a relative thing--a subjective perception. That's why it's potentially dangerous to tell emotional eaters to "Eat as much as you want, until you're satisfied." What if their idea of satisfaction is no longer feeling angry or depressed? How much food will they require to feel satisfied in that case? A whole box of chocolate? What kind of reducing diet is that?

Clearly, people who have trouble separating emotional from physical hunger can have a hard time with this concept of "eating for satisfaction". That's why I tell Eden Dieters, "Eat a small portion (e.g. one serving) with satisfaction", rather than "Eat as much as you want until you're satisfied".

TamTam 07-23-2012 09:41 AM

I am still alive!

Morning all. I am still alive, just been busy. Getting ready to read Chapter 3 of the Eden Diet, wanted to have it read this weekend and that just did not happen, so hopefully today it will. Hubby and I's challenge this week is to drink more water. We are both guilty of not drinking enough, it is kind of hard at work sometimes because if you get busy and need to go to the bathroom it can get a little desperate, especially if you are by yourself, but that should not stop us! So water this week. Have a blessed day.

Obsidianbbw 07-23-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darby1 (Post 4412250)
Hello,

Anyway, I'm being pretty long winded here, and I apologize, but I'm very excited about this.

We like long winded no need to apologize

You know IE and dieting work great when you have a very regular routine with little deviation...My weekend did not fall under the category....blah

So Saturday I was up early and decided to treat myself to an ice coffee and donut(s) :dizzy: I enjoyed it I was good and life went on. I forgot to eat before I left the house...and when I got to the movies I didn't want anything so I didn't eat. After that movie I met another friend (midnight showing) for another movie and now its going on 12 hours and I haven't eaten so I settle for mozzarella sticks and water. After the movie, we end up talking till about 5am and I am starved and super sleepy and I have my go to ice coffee and donuts to get me down the road...blah. I crash for 3 hours (wake up at 10am)...no food in the fridge because I never got a chance to food shop, so I have 2 pieces of cheese. (A girlfriend came over to go swimming) By 6:30 my stomach is threatening a mutiny so I go to fridays and have a crappy appetizer, a sugary drink and lots of water.

My issues here is...I didn't really prepare. I should have had some fruit or a lunchable in my bag as just in case food. and I was getting distracted and not listening to my stomach queue on hunger. The second ice coffee and donut kept me from sleeping while driving so I"m ok with that.

I don't feel like I binged,but I ate crappy food because I was out and about.

Anyway I'm back in a good place today... Curious what the scale will say friday.

TamTam 07-23-2012 07:54 PM

Hello all. Quick post before I shut the computer down for the night. We had lunch (2pm) with salespeople and I had the cup of gumbo, small salad and split the seafood platter with hubby, ate only a few fries and passed on dessert, so all in all not too bad!!! Have a blessed evening. Tammy

pattygirl63 07-24-2012 01:54 PM

A quick flyby. My pc is down until sometime Monday. DH had to order a part to fix it. I'll be back then. Y'all have a good week.

carolr3639 07-24-2012 05:02 PM

Sorry to be absent. Baby sitting for five days. Dd is working 12 hr. shifts. So far so good.

TamTam 07-24-2012 07:52 PM

Hello all!

Busy day! Headed to work, had hubby install a computer on my office desk, did real good with my eating, not so good with my goal of drinking more water, I was his "gofer" so no time to drink or potty, but I am still happy with my eating. Have a blessed evening all.

Darby1 07-24-2012 08:03 PM

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks Trish, for a very good explanation of how to figure out if I'm hungry or not. I've used it a few times and it works.

Things are going pretty well, although, I'm still trying to get out of the diet mindset. While I'm doing well eating what I want, when I want it (as long as I'm actually hungry), I find myself still trying to figure out calories in my head.

I realize that this is not an overnight process.

Hope you all are doing well.

TamTam 07-25-2012 08:16 AM

Welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darby1 (Post 4415612)
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks Trish, for a very good explanation of how to figure out if I'm hungry or not. I've used it a few times and it works.

Things are going pretty well, although, I'm still trying to get out of the diet mindset. While I'm doing well eating what I want, when I want it (as long as I'm actually hungry), I find myself still trying to figure out calories in my head.

I realize that this is not an overnight process.

Hope you all are doing well.

Welcome Darby1! It is very hard to get the diet mentalility out your head, I still find myself thinking about calories also, but I am making progress slowly and you will too. Have a blessed day. :hug:Tammy

carolr3639 07-25-2012 10:33 AM

100 degrees here again today but maybe rain again tonight which we sure need. Babysitting over today. Might take a nap. ha