General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/280/200

Height: 5'4

Default weight loss and eyesight

I went to the eye doctor today and they said my vision has gotten better....My mom said it might have to do wiht the weight loss....i was wondering if anyone knew anytihng about this? is it true? Ive looked around online and cant find anything.
wiltedflower19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #2  
Ari

S/C/G: 400/341/150

I haven't heard of weight loss affecting vision, but it may be possible if you have been eating healthier your vision could improve. Certain vitamins like what you find in carrots are really great for vision.
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:13 AM   #3  

My husband is overweight and wanted Lasix surgery (he's around 350) and was told to wait until he lost weight. Extra weight puts pressure on the optic nerves or something like that and when you lose weight the pressure lessens (at least that's what I remember them saying, it's been around a year). So YES, your weight loss can make you have better vision.

Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #4  
Average White Girl

Default Weight gain/loss and eyesight

Hello, I have been working in eyecare for over six years, and I can tell you that many things affect our vision, including weight loss and gain.

The pressure with in the eye itself can increase with streneous activity, such as lifting heavy objects. When one is more out of shape, more energy is needed to do such things, and the body is in a more constant state of exertion, bringing the pressure up.

High pressures can also be an indicator of types of glaucomas.

Also, as we lose weight and regain our health, various other aspects of our eye health will change. Diabetics have to keep thier blood sugars regulated, or risk diabetic retinopathy, where extra blood vessels grow in the eye, some bursting and causing bits of blood to float around the visual field of the eye.

There are a lot of reasons why losing weight, or more accurately, regaining your health can change your vision. It changes other aspects of you, such as bringing cholesterol and hypertension levels down, increasing stamina and edurance and over all well being. Eyesight is just another benefactor in this.

Hope this helped.
alteaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #5  
Average White Girl

Another factor, which i'm not sure if I mentioned is diabetes and prediabetes. The changing glucose levels of the blood affect eye sight. Diabetics can have extremely unpredictable eye sight.
alteaon is offline   Reply With Quote