General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 07:57 AM   #16  

Good Morning. Went to bed to the sound of rain and woke to snow. It's a slippery mess out there.

Kayla, ahh, gym class. Idea for physical activity...dance! I can't believe you dont have to take it at the school. What happened to the days of the lovely PE jumpsuit? Anyone else have those little snap at the shoulder jobbies? And, the teacher standing at the shower checking her list to make sure everyone showered. *shudder*

DNW, talking to my DH about healthy food is like talking to a brick wall. His greatgrandparents lived into their late 90's and they ate LARD. DH thinks when it's his time to go, it's his time...no matter how he eats. IMO, if he's lucky enough to have a health scare before "his time" comes...he may be scared into a healthy lifestyle. So, meanwhile I'm forced to drag him behind me kicking and screaming all the way.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:57 AM   #17  
Long Lost Chickie

Eww, Tig. I DO remember the snap at the shoulder gymsuit. Red with white pin striping top and shorts to show off all my rolls and my thunderous thighs. Yes, and the gym teacher with the clipboard making sure we showered. OMG. Now I'm just a little nauseous.....

In other news.... Know what I did this morning, yes, on the day of my weigh-in tonight? Tried my first Krispy Kreme doughnut. So what was I thinking!?! Know what else? I had a tiny bite, not even a mouthful ... and it WASN'T great. All the hype I'd heard about these things but it soooo wasn't worth it! I gave the rest away and probably won't be buying them any time in the future. Ah, I feel better about life.

A few minutes later....

Sorry. Had to take a break while Barry Manilow sang to me from the radio. This One's For You. My favorite Barry song. All kinds of memories with that one.

Nurse, I took your advice and popped over to Aphil's thread to ask about Curves. Got a couple of responses, they were very nice to me. Still hoping to get more info. One of these days I'm going to stop into the center near me but right now Rich and I are using one car and sharing and bumming rides, etc. Can't get where we're going easily.

But tonight I get the car to go to WW class! And I'm going to see what happens. I have no idea how well I'm going to do this week. Just have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, a coworker just walked by and whispered "he's coming" so I guess the boss is in. Gotta run!
Old 02-04-2003, 09:16 AM   #18  

Good morning everyone!

It's clear and cold at the North Pole this morning in the orangey glow of the sunrise - and the wind kicking up off our new snow pack is.... exhilirating.

I'm a little brain dead this morning - I wonder if it's because I ate breakfast before drinking my coffee? I'm trying to eat breakfast at home because if I don't I will want pastry... But was running late so I gulped some cereal and took my coffee to go... I think it's interfering with my caffeine absorption.

So I have nothing relevant to add... Except hugs & kisses around. I'm off to crunch some numbers and see if that helps sharpen the pencils upstairs.

edited because I can't spell...
Old 02-04-2003, 09:59 AM   #19  

Hello to my favorite cyber girlfriends. Yesterday 60, today 33 with predictions of snow by evening. Told ya!

You know that I've decided to only weigh once a month, so I did it on the first and was down five pounds. Not back to where I was yet. It should have been a lot more, but I screwed up towards the end, but I'll take the five. BTW. I'm back to being good again. (story of my life)

Huntress how do you like Flylady? I've been trying to fly since November. Wish I had found that site YEARS ago. (flylady.com how to get organized) There is a lot that I don't do but there is a lot more that I do do now that I wasn't doing before. Never again will I take vacation days to clean house.

Guess what I did last night...... I did the 3 mile WATP tape using 2 pound dumb bells the entire time. (tape only uses them for a while.) WOOHOO. I'm really starting to see some arm muscles.... guess that's what those things are. It's unbelievable how weights will up the intensity and get your heart rate up and keep it there while walking in place.

Work is starting to pick up and as soon as it dries up we will be in full swing. I better enjoy this slow time for the few days. Well I'm off so hey to everyone.

Susan, I got the recipes. I killed one tree but I got them printed. They look great, I hope to get a grocery list together later today and try a few of them. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:28 PM   #20  

Hey, where is everyone today? Slower than a snails snot in here.
Me, working on taxes today. I'm suppose to keep everything organized all year so DH can just pop the numbers into the tax program. Me and the word organized. Guess I should sign up for the flylady newsletter.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:13 PM   #21  

I just posted a long one...and its gone!!!!!!!!!

anyways..the jist of it was.....

Hola! Que tal?
I started Spanish last night...it was sooooo much fun!!! im soo excited for it!!! its going to be a blast...and possibly involve a trip to Mexico!!!!

Ross took me out for lunch today.... i miss him sooooo much.....we talked and all ...but things are not the same. it makes me sad.

ah.....anyways......i better get going. see you all tommorrow

luv
Kayla
Old 02-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #22  
DNW

Thumbs up Another Cranky Day in Jersey Paradise

I must vent about one of the woman managers I support or I will bust. I spent the major part of the afternoon finding flights and car arrangements and then she changed them a million times, then when we got done making that movie I worked on editing a contract that she was oh so confused about....I can't go into detail but you get my drift.

Tomorrow I finally get to INTERVIEW FOR THE JOB, as a contract analyst, THAT WILL GET ME AWAY FROM THIS FOOL I WORK WITH.

Friends of mine pray, clap (ala Tinker Bell's revival in Peter Pan) , or whatever, just please do what you can cosmically so I get this job. I am so over being an Administrative Assistant I am ready to commit murder.

I was very cheered up by the gymsuite posts. Yes way back in 1960 they were blue and snapped up the front, and we did not have showers in my school...yucky poo!

Kayla:sorry I got the names mixed up but my intentions were good.

Tiger: Taxes...ah yes...how do you say...pain in the butt? We get raped every year by the Federal government since we have no children and no house...last year we paid over $22,000 in federal alone. It's funny when people say where does all your money go....and I tell them...my uncle takes it!!

Jello: Glad you thought the Krispy Kreme donuts sucked too. I mean the taste is no big deal and their so small too. Why all the fuss...ah yes...media hype.

Cafe: I used to love my morning coffee but after having gastric reflux syndrome for 3 years I can only have two cups a month...really otherwsie I get really sick....and I never was a huge coffee drinker...go figure.

Quilter, Tiffany, and Semo lots of love and hugs!!!

Last edited by DNW; 02-04-2003 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:51 AM   #23  

Good Morning. If I can just make it over this hump(day). It's been on of those weeks where I can't believe it's only Wednesday...feels like Friday already, not good.

Somebody print me a T-shirt! I SURVIVED DOING TAXES WITH DH! What a pain in the I must block out how terrible it was the previous year in order to subject myself to doing it yet again. He gets so uptight and snippy. Next year, I'm just gonna do it all by myself.

Jello, any news on Curves?
I noticed one popped up in our town about a month ago. I'm thinking about giving them a call. I just wonder how practical it would be for me...or if I'm just making excuses for myself. It's in my town, but about 15miles from my "stay at home butt". I do usually go to town at least twice a week...what's one more trip? Then there's the $.

DNW,

Well, I'm off to clean up the paper-trail left by the nightmare taxes. Hope everyone has a great day OP!
Old 02-05-2003, 09:01 AM   #24  
Long Lost Chickie

Tig, ooh, I don't even want to THINK about doing taxes with Rich. If your DH is anything like him, you deserve more than just a Tshirt! Ring, ring, hello? H&R Block? Should be quick and easy. I mean it's not like I have any money or anything.

DNW, Good luck! And when you get the new job, send some "new job vibes" my way so I can do it too! : Yeah, on the Krispy Kremes. I thought maybe the ones I saw were just "mini doughnuts" or something. I didn't realize they were all that small. Or lousy.

Oh geez, I almost forgot! Weighed in last night with a 1.4 lb. loss! I'm feeling much better about my weight loss efforts. It'll still take me another couple weeks to get back to where I was but I'll keep struggling. Doesn't help that a girl in my class has lost 42 pounds in 15 weeks. Brat.

I haven't heard any more news about Curves. I guess I'll just have to stop in and check it out for myself ... once I get my car back! Rich and I are still sharing and he hasn't even taken his in to the mechanic yet but he can't drive it the way it is. Men!!! Anyway, the new Curves in my area is only about 3 miles from my house and on my way home from work. I have to admit that I miss the gym.

Huh! Who said that!?!?!

Kayla, bien, gracias. E tu? Uh, that's it for me and spanish. Mexico is beautiful! Be sure to go if the opportunity arises!

Semo, forgot to tell you CONGRATS on the 5 lb. loss! 5 pounds in a month is great. That's about what I'd like to do ... if I can ever get my act together.

Well, bossman is in and is talking about the distinct possibility of another visit by the infamous frenchmen. Guess I'd better go.

Later!
Old 02-05-2003, 10:15 AM   #25  

Hi Ya'll.

I wasn't going to tell anyone what I'm doing but maybe it will help in the long run. I ordered the Power 90 program by Tony Horton. I know I'm such a sucker, but anyway this program is for 90 days with some butt kicking exercises. I figured the ending date as May 4th, with yesterday being my first day, just in time for summer clothes. I THOUGHT I was in fair physical condition....... the beginning cardio tape was, mildly put a KILLER. Tonight is weight training. I thought by confessing, maybe this would not turn out to be yet another failure. I can feel my muscles in my lower abs,(pooch) not really hurting but achy. I'm really excited about this and will do my best to stay with it. It's only 90 days and then you can go to maintance or repeat, depending on your results.

DNW: Best of luck to ya and just "Now Nice" the other lady.

I had those gym clothes too! We thought they were terrible then, think the kids would just die if they had to wear them now!

Awww taxes, we finally got everything gathered up and sent to the CPA. I don't want to talk about it! Keep telling DH if we have to pay in all this money in then where the heck did the rest of it go. Because DH sill farms some our taxes are due in Feb.

Yea for Jello, good going on the loss!

Kayla, the only spanish phrase I know would be one that they don't teach in school. Why are those the ones that are so easy to remember?

Hey to the rest of the gang, gotta get going we have fertilizer going out in a few minutes. Farmers, it's 20 degrees outside, and they think they are behind.......... Love 'em but holy molly they are hard headed. Chow.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:17 AM   #26  

Happy Hump Day, everyone!

Well I have bad news. I skipped my weigh-in last week because TOM was just arriving. But I weighed in today and gained 2 pounds! That leaves me with just a net loss for the year of 1. I'm very disappointed.

Still, there is nothing to do but keep going. Like I said, I know I make excuses for myself when I don't feel well - and this has somehow got to stop. I need to press forward in not-so-good circumstances as well as good.

So I feel down the stairs (all 3 of them) last night in front of my building in the middle of downtown. I twisted my good ankle and got a scraped bruise on my other shin that... is long and oval shaped like someone smacked me with a rolling pin.

Sitting on the bus I thought: what the heck? in the last 2 months I have endured a whiplash injury without the benefit of accident insurance to foot the bill, what I think was the 'flu, a crummy cold, and now injured myself on the stairs. WHAT is the freaking message that I'm not getting here? It sounds like "SLOW DOWN" but why? I don't get it.

Anywho - sipping my coffee and taking time to post this morning, taking it slow is Cafe. what. ever. :/
Old 02-05-2003, 11:23 AM   #27  

Miss Cafe: Please cheer up if we could we would just wish it to go away but we know there are no quick fixes Hang in there and you will see results. Heck if we give up then who wins? Just one day at a time, you can do it!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:32 AM   #28  

I forgot to tell you guys...
I bought tickets for a concert. Toby Keith and Rascal Flatts(yes, I'm a country bumpkin) are going to be at Notre Dame. We are taking the kids. It will be their first big concert. I can't wait to see how my youngest acts. He's 6. He already knows the words to several Toby Keith songs and he's not scared to belt them out.
Also, gives me a boost of motivation. The concert is March 8th. Gotta fit into my favorite jeans.

SEMO, good luck with the new program.
Speaking of being a sucker (not that you are)....me. I bought One A Day vitamins aimed at Weight Loss. I think they were called WeightWise. Yep, I'm a lollipop.

Cafe, stop and think...you could have finished the year with a gain. Chin Up!...unless you are walking....then watch where you are going!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:07 PM   #29  
I'm back again

Hi all,

Found my way back....busy week!

Jello: the recipe is for Penne Pasta Casserole with Sausage, Peppers, Onions, and Tomatoes (quite a mouthful, isn't it?):

2/3 # penne pasta
4 tsp. of olive oil
1 1/2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 # lean turkey sausage
ground black pepper
2 cups diced tomatoes (I used a can of tomato sauce)
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into strips (I chopped it fine)
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into strips(I left this one out-too much)
1/3 cup fresh, chopped basil (I used a tsp. or so of dried sweet basil
1 small sweet onion, quartered and sliced (I chopped this fine, also)
2/3 cup grated, fat free mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta to al dente and drain. Put olive oil in skillet and cook green peppers and onion for 5-6 min until translucent. Add garlic and cook about 30 sec. to 1 min more. Add turkey sausage and cook until brown. Add tomatoes (or tomato sauce like me) and basil and cook until warmed throughout. Combine pasta with tomato/sausage mixture. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish (I used a 9X13 glass dish so I could portion it easier) and top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Bake 15- 20 min until cheese is bubbly. Serves: 4 WWpts= 7 per serving = 1 1/2 cups of pasta! Enjoy!

Huntress: you sound just like me, girl. I find my way back eventually, too. I wish our weather was good....cold again! I can't wait for spring. I tried to do the Zone diet once before but it didn't work for me....I think it was the lower calories or lower carbs??? not sure which... I think I'm a little hypoglycemic and I have to eat at set times or I get a little dizzy-headed! Not good with my job and all the driving I do! I'm sure it's difficult watching your friend lose wt. but, just think... if she can do it, you can too...darn it! It's a trade off....she's giving up pasta/bread, dairy, etc. and you are giving up extra calories/ fat...... same thing.

I weighed in on Tues. and I was the same I didn't do much exercise last week and it was TOM so I'm thinking the same is ok but not 2 weeks in a row....so I'm on the treadmill each evening and I lifted wts. today....back in the saddle, again, and determined to be below 180 by March. Hurry up spring and longer days!!!!!

Cafe: what a thoughtful post...never thought of it that way...beautiful way to look at it...thank you.

Tiger: same problem with my kids (who are now teens). Little do they know, I have been making changes in their food for years now. First it was the milk....down from 2% to 1% to 1/2% and now skim. Then, it was the chips....baked tostitos, baked chips, baked crackers, turkey bacon, canola oil instead of crisco/lard....they really do learn to like foods without all that fat! They still like french fries from fast food and a cheeseburger now and then but they are slim and healthy kids and I like to think I had something to do with that. Maybe DH can handle subtle changes ( I know kids adapt well)....

SEMO: here we go again! More white stuff! Wish I had your energy for exercise---I'm trying!

DNW: Sorry about the job....good luck on the continuing interviews!

Quilter, Kayla, and Tiff: Happy Wednesday!

"Bright"
Old 02-06-2003, 08:56 AM   #30  
Long Lost Chickie

Yeah, they're calling for snow here tonight into rush hour tomorrow morning. I'm not happy. A girl here is supposed to leave for Florida tomorrow afternoon. She's not happy either. She's been talking about (bragging that is) this trip for months now and although I've been getting sick of hearing about it, I feel sympathetic. Hopefully, she'll get to the airport OK and get winging her way down south.

Tig, must be a sucker born every minute then. I've been searching high and low for those One A Day Weight Smart vitamins. They must be very popular around here. I keep encountering empty store shelves.

Cafe, I'm so sorry to hear about your "unplanned trip". Take it slow and easy for a while. Me, I'm such a klutz, I'm constantly bruised. Last weekend, I banged my thigh (big target!) on something and I'm still sporting a huge ugly black bruise. Looks like I got hit by a baseball or something.

Bright, thanks for the recipe. Sounds wonderful. I've copied and pasted it into my recipe files.

This is interesting. I took my dog to the vet last night. He was sooooo good. I was so proud at how well-behaved he was even though he was obviously scared and just did not want to be there. So when we got home, I rewarded him....

... with food. Of course. Hmmmmm.......

I have to go. Late yesterday afternoon the old *itch came to me looking for an old file folder from about 7 or 8 years ago. I explained as calmly as I could that it was her file, she had it last, it was her responsibility, etc. She's looking for someone to blame for her screw-up (again! ) but it ain't gonna be me this time. I went through the motions of going through my files and then reported that I do not have her file and stopped myself before I added things like "why don't you do your job properly and stop being such a ...." Well, you get the idea. She's still giving me quite the attitude this morning. Oh, yeah. I'm worried.

It's actually kind of sad to see someone so petty and obviously unhappy with her life that she can't stand it if someone else is happy or competent, etc. Much as I wish she'd just retire already, I can't help but pity her too. What a loser. She helps to remind me what I NEVER want to be like. Gee, maybe I should be thankful to her....

Yeah.

Bossman approaches! Later!

P.S. DNW, still thinking of you! :
Closed Thread