General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2''

Default Help! Very Low Calorie Diet

Hi,
I am new to this site!

After having my baby a year ago, I am now 12st 11lb.

I started a VLCD (very low calorie diet) 2 weeks ago. I lost 3lb the first week which is apparently not much on this kind of diet. I then went out for a meal (family event) which made me put on 2lb!

I managed to get down to 12st 9lb, but last night I had a curry and some chocolate, and this morning I am now 12st 11lb again!

I am really confused as to how I could put on 2lb after just one meal - twice!!

I am currently on 600 calories a day, and as I am only 5'2'' tall, I would like to get down to at least 9st 7lb.

Just really confused, everyone I spoke to says you should lose 7-10lb the first week and 4-5lb every week after that (about a stone per month). Yet I do not seem to be doing this.

How can one meal be enough to make me put on 2lb, considering that I would have needed to eat an extra 7,000 calories which I did not?

I am unable to do much exercise as I have SPD, although I will be doing a workout dvd as much as poss starting tomorrow.
pinkprincesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #2  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Its not real weight gain. I would imagine the meal had lots of sodium and it is causing water retention. How much water are you drinking a day? Try to drink more water and I bet the scale will start to move.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Now, to answer your question, I got this right off another area on this site.

"What is the Lowest Amount of Calories You Can Eat in a Day?

When wondering how many calories you should eat to lose weight, you should concentrate on healthy diets. Most dieticians will tell you that the lowest amount of calories you should eat in a day is 1,200, unless you are extremely overweight and under a physician’s care. They will then probably say that even 1,200 is a bit low, and 1,400 is the advisable amount to keep you from feeling hungry and stay healthy."

Here's a CNN article about VLCDs. http://articles.cnn.com/2009-12-15/h...s?_s=PM:HEALTH

"Diets of less than 800 calories can lead to numerous complications, according to Jampolis, including heart arrhythmias, which could lead to death. Extreme dieters are also at risk of dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, low blood pressure and high uric acid, which could lead to gout or kidney stones, she says. Also, losing weight quickly could lead to gallstones and thinning hair because dieters are getting the minimum amount of nutrition, which can affect hair and bone density.

While different programs restrict patients to different calorie counts, Hernried believes some diets provide too few calories to their patients. "No matter how good the nutrition is in the product, the brain will start to break down under 600 calories."

Last edited by JessLess; 11-07-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added a line
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #4  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Why are you eating so few calories?
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote