General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

Default I have to start a high-fibre diet

This has nothing to do with weightloss. I'm maintaining my weight pretty fine.

Basically, now, and for probably about a year, I've been unable to eat without getting bloated, being in pain, and feeling horribly depressed and self-conscious because of it.

No doctor seems to be able to say what's wrong. One said celiac. I had the test, it came back negative. One said I was making it up, one said IBS, the next said chronic constipation, the newest one thinks I'm anorexic and trying to find an excuse not to eat (bullcrap).

IBS has pretty much been ruled out, so I'm being treated for chronic constipation. Such a lovely illness to have, isn't it? xD

BUT, I don't have a nutritionist appointment until December. I'm not waiting that long, I'm sorry. So I thought I'd try starting a high fibre diet to start flushing out my system (Yes, I know, this is all very lovely).

So, tl;dr, what are the best foods to have in a high fibre diet?

So far, I've stocked up on
-Prunes
-Figs
-Dried apricots
-Other fruit like apples, raspberries and bananas
-Bran flakes
-Brown rice
-Brown pasta
-Salad stuff

And I'm aiming to be drinking a **** of a lot more water.

Is there anything else to add in a bit more variation? Are there any meats that are particularly good? I usually eat chicken, or tofu or quorn instead of meat, and I really hate fish and seafood.

Or are there even any supplements I could take? I'm already taking pro-biotic pills, evening primrose oil for my PCOS and dioctyl from the doctor. Anything I could do to speed up the process would be great, though I don't want to end up doing loads more damage to my body. I just want this thing gone because it's basically ruling my life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated =D
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

beans, beans, beans, did i mention beans?
lots of fiber for little tiny amount. but if your body isn't used to very much fiber, add it slowly. you might mix bran cereal with your reg. cereal. or just add berries(more fiber than we realize)
make a veggie soup with some beans. meat if you want.

some people feel better eliminating certain products- pasta, bread, gluten or carbs from grains.

so try to experiment. see what helps. give it some time. and drink lots of water.

also, exercise helps move things along too.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #3  
I CAN do this!

also, go easy on the dried fruits. lots of cals. and beware of eating too many prunes. they have strong effects on some people. probably most people.

meat tends to slow things down, but small amounts are ok.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #4  
closed

S/C/G: 227.5/217.4/150

Height: 5'7"

I find that lots of veggies do the trick for me. I try to eat spinach at least every other day with my evening meal. I love spinach though, so it's easy for me to eat the almost thewhole 10 ozs frozen box with my meal, lol. Cleans me out just fine by the next morning.

I second the advice to stay away from dried fruits --- TONS of calories.

And YES: beans, beans, beans! Did we say beans? I use beans alot for protein, as I doing a higher protein calorie counting plan (my own).

Good luck!

~ ~

One for every 5 lbs lost:
Flamanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If you have PCOS you need to get most of your fiber from veggies and beans- too many carbs could be your problem- even if they are good ones. I know if I eat a lot of carbs I get bloated and gassy and it SUCKS. I'd stick to fruit and grains sparingly for a while. I do South Beach Diet and my doctor swears up and down it's the best diet for PCOS.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I was told Tofu is high in fiber.

Spinach, broccoli, beans. Whole grains like quinoa have fiber.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

Cheers for the advice everyone. I can't believe I hadn't thought of beans. That's going on the list for sure.
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #8  
I CAN do this!

try hummus! yum!
rachael ray has a million ideas on different combos. experment with different beans, ingredients. everything tastes better with roasted red peppers and garlic i say! haha

my family likes black eye peas cooked in garlic and evoo. roasted peppers or other veggies you like is good in their too.
my family prefers turkey sausage w/ it, but you don't really need it. i love it. now i'm cc i would work on doing it with less oil.