Bad to eat the same few meals?

• I noticed that I have a tendency to eat the same few meals every day with relatively little variety. I find that this gives me a sense of discipline and by pre-planning these meals, I'm less likely binge.

However, I have heard from the vine that this is bad for weight loss and that you should not eat the same thing two days in a row? Is this true? If so, does anyone know why?

Does anyone else pre-plan their meals with the same few things? If so, what kind of things do you eat?
  • I hope that's not true. I don't have time to cook an entire meal at lunch so I usually eat the leftovers from dinner the night before at lunch. It's quick, I already know it's yummy (or I wouldn't have saved it) and it helps keep me on plan. If I don't have something quick and easy to take care of me, I have a tendency to say, WTH and find the nearest drive-thru.
  • I think as long as the things you're eating are healthy and you're getting the vitamins and minerals you need, then there's nothing wrong with eating the same thing over and over again.

Just make sure you're not skimping on any needed nutrients.

Oh, and to answer the other part of your question: I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast in some form. I don't duplicate every meal, but I do tend to repeat breakfasts and lunches with nearly monotonous regularity.

• I thought it was bad for someone to eat the same things, but i do it anyway. So hopefully its not
  • They say it's bad for weight loss because people tend to get bored and start to stray off the healthy bandwagon for something that tastes different.

I've been eating the same lunch for the past two months. chicken, brown rice, corn. With a apple and a yogurt as snacks between meals.

It's okay to eat the same things for a while. it's a good idea if you are very new to diets and calorie counting. then when you get your feet under you, you can try different combinations of healthy foods.

but if what you have now makes you happy, go for it ^_^
  • In the book YOU: On a Diet, Drs. Oz and Roizen recommend sticking to the same general type of meals, and their research has shown that many people are more successful losing weight this way. Just make sure you don't eliminate any food groups, and you get veggies of every color
  • I do like to eat a wide variety of food so I can take advantage of the most nutrients, but I pretty much eat the same thing for breakfast/lunch/snacks every day. I do vary dinners quite a bit, but I probably have 10 that I usually cycle through.

Breakfast (I've had one of these 4 choices 99% over the past 3 years)
    Kashi waffles, 1 with natural peanut butter 1 with jam
    1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 spoons of apple butter
    1/2 cup granola, fat free yogurt
    50 calorie whole wheat tortilla, 1/4 cup egg beaters, spinach salsa

Morning Snacks
    Berries - either blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or strawberries, every day for over 3 years

Lunch
    I usually bring a spinach salad from home with some chicken, grape tomatoes, pepper, onions, carrots other vegetables
    Turkey sandwich with spicy mustard, whole grain bread, lettuce tomato onion
    Salmon (or tuna) salad with a little low fat mayo, whole grain bread, lettuce/tomato
    Hummus wrap with roasted vegetables
    Roasted vegetables over whole wheat couscous
    Lentil or other bean soup

Afternoon snacks
    Almost every day - orange (when it's not orange season I try to have a mango or nectarine)
    Cut up vegetables - every day (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, red pepper strips)

weekend snack
    Starbucks tall skinny mocha, 140 calorie biscotti

Favorite Dinners
    Maple-glazed salmon, brown rice, broccoli
    Shrimp stry fry with tons of vegetables over brown rice
    Home made pasta sauce with veggie crumbles, tomatoes, fresh basil, onions, garlic, sun dried tomato over whole wheat pasta
    Home made pizza with organic crust, spicy pizza sauce, spinach, onions, sun dried tomato, kalamata olives, low fat feta
    Tacos with blue corn shells, veggie crumbles, low fat cheese, lettuce, tomato, tons of salsa
    BBQ chicken salad - fresh greens, purple cabbage, grape tomatoes, onion, black beans, corn, avocado, a little low fat ranch dressing, chicken

Sometimes I feel silly posting my menus in the various threads - I eat these exact same things over and over. It makes my life a lot easier, I know I'm getting a wide range of nutrients and it's really easy to count calories. I still like what I'm eating
  • I also eat a lot of the same things. I do like to cycle through various items for nutrient sake but really I wouldn't call it bad for weight loss at all.
  • The only time it has been "bad" for me is if I get bored of those foods and break my plan because of it. I take it as a sign that I need to switch things up a bit