General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/133/125

Height: 5'5

Default Bad to eat the same few meals?

I noticed that I have a tendency to eat the same few meals every day with relatively little variety. I find that this gives me a sense of discipline and by pre-planning these meals, I'm less likely binge.

However, I have heard from the vine that this is bad for weight loss and that you should not eat the same thing two days in a row? Is this true? If so, does anyone know why?

Does anyone else pre-plan their meals with the same few things? If so, what kind of things do you eat?
pengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #2  
Chillin' like a villian

S/C/G: 341/289.5/176

Height: 5'7"

I hope that's not true. I don't have time to cook an entire meal at lunch so I usually eat the leftovers from dinner the night before at lunch. It's quick, I already know it's yummy (or I wouldn't have saved it) and it helps keep me on plan. If I don't have something quick and easy to take care of me, I have a tendency to say, WTH and find the nearest drive-thru.
angierue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I think as long as the things you're eating are healthy and you're getting the vitamins and minerals you need, then there's nothing wrong with eating the same thing over and over again.

Just make sure you're not skimping on any needed nutrients.

Oh, and to answer the other part of your question: I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast in some form. I don't duplicate every meal, but I do tend to repeat breakfasts and lunches with nearly monotonous regularity.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 02-19-2008 at 10:18 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #4  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

I thought it was bad for someone to eat the same things, but i do it anyway. So hopefully its not
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #5  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

They say it's bad for weight loss because people tend to get bored and start to stray off the healthy bandwagon for something that tastes different.

I've been eating the same lunch for the past two months. chicken, brown rice, corn. With a apple and a yogurt as snacks between meals.

It's okay to eat the same things for a while. it's a good idea if you are very new to diets and calorie counting. then when you get your feet under you, you can try different combinations of healthy foods.

but if what you have now makes you happy, go for it ^_^
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #6  
it's always something

In the book YOU: On a Diet, Drs. Oz and Roizen recommend sticking to the same general type of meals, and their research has shown that many people are more successful losing weight this way. Just make sure you don't eliminate any food groups, and you get veggies of every color
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I do like to eat a wide variety of food so I can take advantage of the most nutrients, but I pretty much eat the same thing for breakfast/lunch/snacks every day. I do vary dinners quite a bit, but I probably have 10 that I usually cycle through.

Breakfast (I've had one of these 4 choices 99% over the past 3 years)
Kashi waffles, 1 with natural peanut butter 1 with jam
1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 spoons of apple butter
1/2 cup granola, fat free yogurt
50 calorie whole wheat tortilla, 1/4 cup egg beaters, spinach salsa

Morning Snacks
Berries - either blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or strawberries, every day for over 3 years

Lunch
I usually bring a spinach salad from home with some chicken, grape tomatoes, pepper, onions, carrots other vegetables
Turkey sandwich with spicy mustard, whole grain bread, lettuce tomato onion
Salmon (or tuna) salad with a little low fat mayo, whole grain bread, lettuce/tomato
Hummus wrap with roasted vegetables
Roasted vegetables over whole wheat couscous
Lentil or other bean soup

Afternoon snacks
Almost every day - orange (when it's not orange season I try to have a mango or nectarine)
Cut up vegetables - every day (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, red pepper strips)

weekend snack
Starbucks tall skinny mocha, 140 calorie biscotti

Favorite Dinners
Maple-glazed salmon, brown rice, broccoli
Shrimp stry fry with tons of vegetables over brown rice
Home made pasta sauce with veggie crumbles, tomatoes, fresh basil, onions, garlic, sun dried tomato over whole wheat pasta
Home made pizza with organic crust, spicy pizza sauce, spinach, onions, sun dried tomato, kalamata olives, low fat feta
Tacos with blue corn shells, veggie crumbles, low fat cheese, lettuce, tomato, tons of salsa
BBQ chicken salad - fresh greens, purple cabbage, grape tomatoes, onion, black beans, corn, avocado, a little low fat ranch dressing, chicken

Sometimes I feel silly posting my menus in the various threads - I eat these exact same things over and over. It makes my life a lot easier, I know I'm getting a wide range of nutrients and it's really easy to count calories. I still like what I'm eating

Last edited by Glory87; 02-20-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I also eat a lot of the same things. I do like to cycle through various items for nutrient sake but really I wouldn't call it bad for weight loss at all.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #9  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

The only time it has been "bad" for me is if I get bored of those foods and break my plan because of it. I take it as a sign that I need to switch things up a bit
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote