General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 01:36 PM   #1  

Default Eating Well For Optimum Health, Dr. Andrew Weil

Hello everyone! I have been reading this board for a while now and thought I’d pop in, introduce myself and see if anyone else is following the book “Eating Well For Optimum Health” by Dr. Andrew Weil. About 18 months ago I was a size 24 (was far too embarrassed to step on a scale, but I probably weighed about 230 pounds). On my 5'3 frame I was certainly classified as obese,
even though I am large boned I was so mortified by this problem that had compounded over 24 years of marriage that I really did not want my friends to see me – didn’t want to leave the house and spent most days moping around in huge track pants and oversized t-shirts. I felt physically and mentally awful and most certainly depressed. I hated to look at myself in the
mirror (my face had blown up out of proportion) and seeing myself in a photo was torture. Unfortunately, there were a few personal events in my life that were catalysts to losing weight –
things that make you stand back, take a look at your life and commit to a change. I knew I had to pick a weight loss strategy, but I was also realistic enough to know that it had to be something I could commit to forever. I had failed at losing weight MANY times before – so I had enough experience to judge what would not work for me:

-- weekly meetings... primarily because it would be a 2.5 hour return drive to the nearest WW location and I am very good at procrastination
– gym memberships (living in the middle of nowhere has its drawbacks)
-- any type of pills, shakes, bars or “meal supplements”
-- eating more than 3 times a day
– low carbohydrate diets (I’m a pasta, bread and rice kinda gal)
– unpalatable menus (cabbage soup every day... ugh!)
– more than moderate exercise such as jogging or running (I have arthritis from a broken ankle and anything other than fast walking is out of the question)

What I wanted was a way of eating that was healthful and gave me the freedom to eat well. As an overweight person I was ashamed to admit it, but I LOVED to eat (and still do!). I think there are few pleasures finer than enjoying a well-cooked meal prepared from fine ingredients... in fact, I love to cook almost as much as I love to eat. After reading “Eating Well for Optimum Health” the first time, I thought I found what I was looking for. A second and third reading convinced me that this was for me. For the first time in my life I understood nutrition and had my eyes opened to things like the glycemic index, the difference between dietary fats and WHY some were better than others – and the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid -- it all helped me to choose foods wisely and change my cooking methods and eating habits.

Well, a year and a half later, I can tell you that this was the book that changed my life. Size 8 now fits me comfortably and my weight loss is around 80 pounds (15 to go to reach my goal). Although I have not eaten a potato chip, cheese puff, pretzel, commercially baked cookie or pastry, french fry or (anything else deep fried) in 18 months, and although I consume very little white flour, there is certainly no feeling of deprivation... at all. Someone asked me recently if I didn’t miss pies and cakes – as I was pulling fresh whole wheat foccacia bread from the oven and finishing up a meringue-crust blueberry tart, stirring the pot of homemade minestrone on the stove and opening a fine bottle of red wine for supper – I could honestly say NOPE!

So... I’d like to know if anyone else here is following Dr. Weil’s plan... anyone care to swap recipes, successes, things you find difficult to manage, failures??? I’d love to hear from you!

Cheers!
Northern_Alice
Old 01-25-2002, 11:52 AM   #2  
diamondgeog

Default Good job

I haven't read any of his books but have seen him on public television a number of times. He and Bob Greene seem to be 2 people who actually have the right idea when it comes to losing weight and being healthy. I definitely think you can get just as much satsification from many types of healthy foods as you can from foods that are not so good for you.

I am not that much of a cook but I think it is really great that you turned something that you are good at and like to do into something that helped you lose weight. That seems like an excellent way to go. Basically I tried to eat slower, eat less, stay away from sugar and fried and fatty foods and it has worked. I am sure there is much I can learn about nutrition but there is also a LOT of good people can do with some simple changes in their lives, those do work also.

Old 01-25-2002, 02:02 PM   #3  

Dear Alice,
I am very interested in learning more about this lifestle. I have decided I want to try the Mediteranean DIet and came on here to find others who are doing the same! Not having much luck!

I am 5'2", weight 268 lbs. and have severe arthrits at the age of 41. I have been low-carbing since last summer and have lost 25 lbs., but my arthritis is causing me some severe pain. I've read that I need to pretty much go the OTHER way, and eat the Mediterranean Way. I do have Dr. WEil's book, but just skimmed thru. I should go back and read it.

Do you know of any websites that I can tap into for recipes and motivation?? Would love to hear from you.

Debbie in Alberta
[email protected]
Old 01-26-2002, 02:33 PM   #4  

Hello Diamondgeog: Thanks for your kind words! Funny you mentioned Bob Greene -- last summer I picked up a copy of "Make The Connection" (co-authored with Oprah) and I found it to be extremely informative. I use many of his principles in my lifestyle. Another book that I love is "Thin for Life: 10 keys to success from people who have lost weight and kept it off." The weight loss masters who tell their stories and the way the book is presented is extremely motivational. I often read it whenever I need to keep myself on track. It's positive proof that you CAN lose weight and keep it off.

Nice to meet you Snowhite7! I'm very happy to help you in any way I can. I too, do very poorly on low-carb diets. I find when 60% of my calories come from carbs, I feel much better, have more energy and I'm just .... happier all 'round. It is vital, however, to make sure you are selective about the carbs you eat -- less-refined, less processed foods with a low glycemic index are what you need to concentrate on. You'll find Dr. Weil's recommendations about carbs, types and amounts on page 71.

I have recently found Dr. Weil's website at http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.php -- it looks promising and there are a number of chat rooms that you can participate in. I will be registering there in the next week or so. Dr. Weil answers many questions about integrative medicine and if you type in "arthritis" in the search engine at the top of his page a number of topics come up.

The best advise I can give you is to read the book thoroughly at least twice -- make notes and use a highlighter and post-it notes to flag the key points he makes. Then go back and read these points a few more times until you can just about recite them by heart. They will be instrumental when you have to make eating choices away from home, when you are reading labels at the grocery store and choosing recipes. The key to my success was thoroughly understanding his principles of eating well and applying them to everyday life. I treated it in the same serious manner as if I were doing a major project at work -- now it is second nature.

Like any new eating plan, you will find the first few weeks and months to be the toughest and you will need the most support during the initial phase. However, when you develop consistency in your way of eating and when you begin to notice the benefits in health and weight loss (I was losing about one clothing size a month for 5 months before I hit a plateau then lost 3 more sizes within the the next few months) -- the motivation is there to continue.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Alice
Old 01-28-2002, 02:52 PM   #5  

Dear Alice,
I just have his book Spontaneous Healing. one tip he had was to just have one protein meal a day, so I'm working on that one! It's tough though!!! I do love my protein.

I always have fruit for breakfast, and maybe Whole Wheat Toast if I'm really hungry.

I made a big pot of veggie soup yesterday and threw in some lima beans and barley(which is all new to me)! So I'm going to have that for lunch, and we'll see if that carries me to supper. I was thinking too, for those times when you're running around town at supper, Wouldn't Subway all veggie on Whole Wheat bread work?? This would at least be some place we could all go and have a bite to eat!

What kinds of things do you have for breakfast? or lunch?

One interesting point he had that I'd never read before, was that when you are on a high protein diet, the liver and kidneys are working overtime to digest this food, and cannot get down to the business of healing, which iswhat my body needs. Lots and lots of healing! So this would certainly explain why, even though, I've lost weight on high protein, I started to feel worse and worse with each month that passed! I pray that this lifestyle will be the answer to my pain!

Take Care and Congratulations on your great weight loss success!

Debbie
Old 01-28-2002, 05:38 PM   #6  

Hi Debbie:

<<<<You write: I made a big pot of veggie soup yesterday and threw in some lima beans and
barley (which is all new to me)! So I'm going to have that for lunch, and we'll see if that carries
me to supper.>>>

Excellent! Don’t worry about making it through to supper though. Take a break mid-afternoon and snack on a carrot and celery sticks -- with some broccoli and cauliflower florets. I
sometimes make a dip of a few tablespoons of fat free yogurt with a spoonful of dry soup mix from our health food store. Or make some low fat whole wheat muffins or cookies (Secrets of
Low Fat Baking by Sandra Woodruff is an *excellent* resource for recipes for healthy baked goods made with a variety of grains and dried fruits to replace fats). Snacking is fine when your hungry – NEVER feel deprived in the afternoon or you’ll pay for it at suppertime

I love making soups and we have them often – here’s a great recipe for a minestrone that is superb http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/jamiesminestrone.asp and a very nice pasta fagioli here http://soup.allrecipes.com/AZ/PastaFagioli.asp A few things I do are to stay away from canned broth and prepare my own chicken and vegetable stocks at home every week or 10 days – I freeze
it in 2 cup zip-lock bags so I always have a ready source of low-sodium, low-fat stock on hand made with ingredients I *know* are healthy. In fact, I never buy boned chicken breasts any longer – I bone my own, toss the skin out and collect ribcages into the freezer as a base for stock. It’s almost fat-free from the get-go. I also tend to make double quantities of two soups a week and freeze half of each. It can become a handy excuse to say that cooking from scratch is too much trouble when you are tired or have had a bad day. When a good, healthy supper is waiting in the freezer, and when you can have it on the table with some freshly cooked pasta within 15 minutes, it is not a temptation to pick up the phone and order in fast food.

<<<<I was thinking too, for those times when you're running around town at supper, Wouldn't Subway all veggie on Whole Wheat bread work?? This would at least be some place we could all go and have a bite to eat! >>>>

I do go to Subway and have a small veggie sub on ww once in a while when it’s either that or McD’s – however, from the fluffy texture of the bread, I am fairly sure their idea of “whole wheat” is enriched white flour with a bit of wheat bran tossed in. I do my best to stay away from enriched white flour products and tend to stick to breads made with stoneground organic ww flour as well as other grains (heavy European type breads). In fact, one of the most useful tools I have is a bread maker. I use it to make dough and form/rise/bake it in my oven. When we have to eat out because it’s late and we’re hungry, I tend to find a mom and pop restaurant where I can get a simple salad and perhaps a piece of poached fish or broiled chicken or vegetable stir-fry or
even pasta and marinara sauce. We’ve had good luck at Swiss Chalet (I’m Canadian too) with several of their dishes – I particularly like their raspberry vinagrette dressing – take the skin off the white meat chicken breast, have a plain baked potato instead of fries and it’s the best “fast food” in town. I’ve found that eating out at good restaurants is a simple matter. Two of my
favorite chefs in town are wonderful with seafood and their salmon dishes are superb. An appetizer of mussels, a salad with a touch of olive oil based dressing and a fresh sorbet for
dessert are perfect and fit well within my eating guidelines.

<<What kinds of things do you have for breakfast? or lunch? >>

Breakfasts are always simple (I was a breakfast-skipper and have little appetite in the morning) – a low GI fruit such as blueberries, a pear or an apple, a protein source such as an Omega-3 egg or maybe a few tablespoons of lowfat ricotta cheese and a slice of homemade bread. Several cups of green tea throughout the morning and a bottle of water or two. Morning calories are usually in the 350 - 400 range

Lunch is usually a vegetable such as a mixed salad or coleslaw or maybe some warmed over steamed veg from the night before, perhaps some brown rice (again, warmed up from the night
before) or protein if I feel like it -- fish, occasionally a slice of skim milk cheese or small piece of chicken, a cup of low-sodium soup, and a slice of bread or two. A bottle of water or two until mid- afternoon when I have green tea and some type of snack -- vegetables and dip, a whole- grain muffin or cookies (I particularly like biscotti!). Total of lunch and snack is about 500
calories.

Dinners vary and can be vegetarian or poached salmon with lemon, brown rice, and steamed vegetables – grilled chicken breast with sauteed peppers, onions and mushrooms, a white bean and chicken chili – usually 2 or 3 vegetables, a pasta, rice or other grain and a sorbet or low-fat baked dessert (usually something with fruit in it). I have dozens of recipes (and there are thousands of healthy recipes on the Internet) and try to add as many different foods as possible into our weekly diet. The trick for me to stay on plan is to eat well (even though it takes more
time to prepare meals than before) and never feel deprived. Supper is a total of about 600 calories. A bottle of water and green tea at night. We usually entertain on weekends and that is
when I love to cook – could be pheasant with wild rice stuffing, cioppino (seafood stew), cornish game hens with apricot glaze.... and I do indulge in a glass or two of wine with supper on the
weekends.

Well.. that’s probably more than you ever wanted to know – but I do encourage you to continue reading the book, hunt around on the Internet for ideas and experiment! Let me know how you are doing and if I can help.

Regards,
Alice
Old 01-29-2002, 12:58 AM   #7  

Hi Alice...

I also have been looking for others interested in Dr. Weil's approach to health as well as the Mediterranean Diet. I have read the Optimum Health book once through and learned a lot more about the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet in a Women's Health class I took recently. I'm definitely ready to make the needed changes in my diet and would be delighted to have a chance to converse with you and others about the various aspects of following this way of eating.

I am at about the same place you were when you started on this path - 43 years old, married 22 years, 215 lbs on a 5'2" frame. I was 112 lbs on my wedding day, but have gained weight over the years with each pregnancy (4 children), little if any exercise, and overeating because of stress, boredom and every other excuse. I need new clothes but won't buy them because nothing fits well, I hate the fitting room mirror and I refuse to buy a larger size (I'm already in size 22 pants and 20 shirts).

I guess I will begin by pulling my book off the shelf and starting with week one. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and it would be nice if we could continue this thread to support each other.

Looking forward to optimizing my health ,
Barbara
Old 01-29-2002, 10:35 AM   #8  

Hello Rosesoap! Glad to meet you! Are you working on the 8 Weeks to Optimum Health book? If so, I'd be interested in hearing how you do week by week.

I'm happy to help in any way -- there's also a Dr. Weil website with chat rooms (one that deals especially with the 8 week plan book) at www.drweil.com Hold off on buying new clothes!! I remember how incredibly happy I was the first time I went to the "regular" womens section (instead of the plus size department) and tried on a jean style cord jacket. It was size 18 and I nearly wept when it fit and I could do all the buttons up. I still have that jacket today -- it brings such happy memories -- and I wear it often (though it's way too big now) -- it's my little reminder of my decision to stay on a healthy eating plan.

Take care,
Alice
Old 01-29-2002, 04:22 PM   #9  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Thanks a bunch!!!

Alice:
Thanks for the web site for Dr. Weil. It was just the little push I needed to get started doing more for myself. I have lots of reading to do until I can jump right in. I'm looking forward to reading his books.

Thanks again
Old 01-30-2002, 02:20 PM   #10  

Dear Alice,
Thank you so much for the website info! I have been reading all kinds of things on drweil.com. It's fantastic! And recipes too!!

Your info is so good, I printed your letter out, LOL! So I can refer back to it when I want. It really helps to see what other people are eating, especially when you're just starting out. Thank again!

Dr Weil's recipe for the day is Pasta with Garlic & Herbs. There is a printer friendly version so that is helpful too.

I bought some veggie burgers yesterday. Haven't tried them. What do you think of these? Also, tofu sandwich meats. THis is all legal, right?

Rosesoap, good to meet you! looks like you and me will be learning here together. Good luck!

Debbie
snowhite7
Old 01-30-2002, 03:18 PM   #11  
diamondgeog

Default my 2 cents on veggie burgers

They vary tremendously in taste. I had one in this green box, I think I have blocked out the name, ah I just remebered Morningstar Farm, that really did taste like cardboard, it was worse then nothing. On the other hand I have liked many of the Gardenburgers. TRY things. You might love morningstar and hate gardenburgers. Also they have different varities and one might be bad and another good. There may be a morningstar veggie burger I like...maybe (I am not convinced). Trying things has been so important in my weight loss journey, trying things. There are dozens of healthy alternatives I found once I started experiementing. Some people think this is gross but I love tabasco on microwave popcorn. I think it tastes great. AND I can use the 94% fat free which was a little bland but with the tabasco I don't even notice, so whoila a nice healthy snack with a little expirementation. Paula's dressings are also super, and usually fat-free.

Larry

the journey is the destination

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-30-2002 at 09:16 PM.

Old 01-30-2002, 03:20 PM   #12  

Hi Alice and all,

I have both the 8 Weeks book and the Eating Well book, so I'm going to follow the 8 weeks plan to help me stay focused on small goals, but supplement my reading with the Eating Well book to further understand Dr. Weil's recommendations.

I went grocery shopping this morning and added some items for the first week - fresh broccoli, EV olive oil, vitamin C, salmon, etc. I'm going to try Dr. Weil's broccoli prep method and the Salmon in Parchment recipe. Does anyone else have some favorite broccoli or salmon recipes?

It always frustrates me that eating well costs so darn much! Although salmon does go on sale here fairly often ( I live in the Pacific Northwest) it is never cheap. Today I went ahead and splurged on it at $7.99 a pound. I'll definitely need to watch the sales and buy & freeze extra. Any advice about how to stretch it? Maybe a fish chowder or stew?

At one time I was trying to follow the Dr. McDougall eating plan, which is pretty much vegan with no added fats. Although I lost some weight (gained it all back ) and I felt much better, it was too strict for me and I really missed dairy products. I began to feel deprived and began to "cheat" (a lot!).

One of the things I liked about the discussion forum at Dr. McDougalls site is that people would post about their daily menus. I got a lot of ideas that way and it was especially helpful in the beginning when I was trying to put variety into my meals. I would love it if we could do the same to help each other.

This is getting long, so I'll close. One more quick question about supplements. Do you take them and if so, what do you take and please list the brand names.

Talk to you all later,
Barbara
(rosesoap)
Old 01-30-2002, 06:16 PM   #13  

Hi Debbie! That Pasta with Garlic and Herbs recipe looks tremendous! I will try it out this weekend (the relatives are coming over.... so it might be handy to have some extra vermouth on hand You were asking: <<<I bought some veggie burgers yesterday. Haven't tried them. What do you think of these? Also, tofu sandwich meats. THis is all legal, right? >>>

Absolutely... read the packaging and see what the ingredients are from most to least (first to last). If the burgers and tofu meats have a load of chemicals added or MSG or a high fat content (though I can’t imagine that), then pass them by for another brand. I know there are very healthy and acceptable veggie products out there. It’s just that I have yet to find a brand that I like – or one that cooks well (I seem to get veggie mush burgers when I cook them). Maybe we could do a taste test and rating on different brands – Larry has given us the benefit of his experience with two of them.

Hi Barbara! <<<You write: It always frustrates me that eating well costs so darn much!>>>

When I first started on this way of eating, I felt exactly the same! However, when you consider the number of foods that will be cut from your weekly grocery bill (e.g. fast/convenience foods,
junk foods, pre-packaged cookies, pastries, etc.) it does seem to balance out at the cash register. We spend no more now eating well than 18 months ago when my cart was full of chips, pop,
frozen pizzas and hamburgers, onion rings, candy and the like.

<<<Although salmon does go on sale here fairly often ( I live in the Pacific Northwest) it is never cheap. Today I went ahead and splurged on it at $7.99 a pound. I'll definitely need to watch the
sales and buy & freeze extra. Any advice about how to stretch it? Maybe a fish chowder or stew?>>>

It seems we’re a bit better off than you with salmon. I just purchased Atlantic salmon fillets at $5.99 a pound and salmon kebabs marinated in white wine and herbs for $1.99 each. That’s
about $3.75 a pound in US dollars. Gee... maybe I should be exporting this to the west coast A few suggestions: See if you can find pre-packaged portions of salmon at stores that specialize in frozen meat products (we have one here called M&M Meats that sells 5 ounce individual salmon portions for about $2.00). Stock up on these for times when fresh salmon is far too expensive. As far as stretching the fish – try one of my favorites, Salmon in Parma Rosa Sauce – people ask me for this recipe all the time and I am embarrassed to tell them how easy it is....

1 package Knorr Parma Rosa Sauce mix
1.5 cups skim or 1% milk
8 ounces of fresh salmon seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon juice
3 cups cups cooked pasta (al dente) of your choice.

Add milk to sauce mix and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.

Place salmon in a lightly oiled foil pouch and bake at 400 degrees 10-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Remove fish from oven, cut into chunks and add to sauce – simmer for 5 minutes. Spoon sauce over 3/4 cup of cooked al dente pasta per person. Serves 4 . My quick calculation of 1/4 the
sauce and salmon on 3/4 cup of pasta comes to 322 calories per serving. Add a large mixed vegetable salad to this and you have a wonderful meal. Often, I will add a splash of white wine and 2 Tbsp. of chopped fresh basil to the sauce just before serving. Note: the Knorr sauce is reasonably healthful for a packaged sauce mix (it does have a small amount of vegetable oil shortening). However, it can be difficult to make a good rosa sauce without heavy cream (I'm going to try and come up with one one day though) and this is a nice substitute with skim or 1% milk. I find you have to weigh the plusses and minuses sometimes

Oh yes, I take a multi-vitamin per day (lifelong habit) as well as 1000 mg calcium magnesium in capsule form.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:33 PM   #14  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Alice,

Your thread is great, and you're a wealth of terrific information. I've seen Dr. Weil numerous times, and have been to his website a number of times. You've inspired me to go buy the book you've been following. Will let you know how it goes!

Karen
Old 02-05-2002, 06:24 PM   #15  

Smile TIme to Dust off my book too....

Hi everyone! I have had this book for a couple of years and have never really read it. Just reading this thread has prompted my attention. Could it be that I have had a jewel sitting on my bookshelf and didn't even know it......... All I want is to get this weight off without (Diets)..... Been there, done that, failed every time..... So, its good to see this book is helping you reach your goals of good health. ~~~~~~I'm glad you are here to talk with. Until next time, Carol J.
Closed Thread