General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #1  
Mom of 4

S/C/G: 276/230/175

Height: 5'2"

Default I need to gripe about people

Over the weekend my Military Family Readiness Group hosted a raffle at a local store where we stood outside of the store and sold raffle tickets. The proceeds of this raffle will be spent to give local area soldiers and their families a good Christmas Party. Most of theses soldiers will be leaving for Iraq around next May.

Call me a sucker but I can never pass up a fundraiser that helps out Veterans or Soldiers nor can I pass one up that will help kids raise money for something they need (like sport uniforms).

My gripe is this

Some people are so rude. One man (term used loosely) when asked if he would like to buy a ticket to help support the soldiers came back with "Nope I ain't got no use for the soldiers". AAAUUUGGGHHHH Then lets send him in their place. How can an AMERICAN say something like that. I do not always support what our government does but I ALWAYS support our soldiers. Of course my husband is one and has been for 18 years but come on people, without our soldiers where would we as a country be?

We stood outside of that store for 8 hours selling tickets and only sold 252. The last time we had a raffle we sold 437 in 7 hours. I know that everyone is getting tired of the whole Iraq thing but we can not give up and quit supporting our soldiers, they need us now more than ever.

Ok I'm done now. Sorry but it really gets to me.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #2  
No description available.

I am sorry that you had to deal with that.

If that guy has a problem with the war, he needs to turn his frustration into voting!

The soldiers, sailors, marines, air force people (what are they called?) deserve our support whether or not we support the choices our government has made.

I read that 100 US soldiers have died in October. The magnitude of that sacrifice, by the soldiers and their families, is more than words can say.

Thank your soldier for me today.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I will agree that the guy was rude and should've said no thank you.

Personally, I don't like to be solicited for things going into or leaving a store. I don't buy anything, sign any petition or what not for anyone calling me on the phone or soliciting me anywhere. The reasoning is that I don't like it so I don't promote it and also because I trust giving directly to a charity rather than giving to someone on the street that says they support a charity. I have a few charities that I specifically like but also I usually do research into other charities to see if there are any others that I like and could support.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I think the problem is that there are a ton of organizations that solicit outside of stores, and not all of them are for such good causes. I know that I have learned to pretty much ignore people standing outside of stores, because talking to all of them would take a CONSIDERABLE amount of time, and most organizations (not yours, but many) will try to pin you down for long conversations, which I usually don't have enough time to have when I'm trying to go to the grocery store and get dinner on the table.

His comment was unexcuseably rude, but the lack of ticket sales may be due more than just fatigue with what is going on in Iraq - it may also be fatigue in general with being pinned down outside of stores/supermarkets/etc for donations or political signatures. It can be difficult to determine, in the 15 seconds you have walking through the entrace of a store, whether the cause being promoted is one you care to support.

Thank your soldier for me as well! I wholeheartedly agree that even if one disagrees with things going on politically with the US military, they need to acknowledge that the soldiers and families of soldiers aren't responsible for those decisions and deserve our support.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #5  
Mom of 4

S/C/G: 276/230/175

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I think the problem is that there are a ton of organizations that solicit outside of stores, and not all of them are for such good causes. I know that I have learned to pretty much ignore people standing outside of stores, because talking to all of them would take a CONSIDERABLE amount of time, and most organizations (not yours, but many) will try to pin you down for long conversations, which I usually don't have enough time to have when I'm trying to go to the grocery store and get dinner on the table.
I completely agree with you here, and the lack of tickets sold isn't really even my problem. It is just the rude comments people left behind in regards to the supporting the soldiers.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/265/175

Height: 5'8

Sometime I feel intimidated by some of the fundraiser ppl outside of stores. Sounds silly but there are times I feel like they are staring me down from the time I get out of the car until I walk pass them. Hmmmm maybe it's the eye contact thats the problem (?) or the guilt I have no money to give. I DO support certain groups like The Cancer Society (my grandma died of cancer) and Miliarty fundraising (my brother is in the Navy). I wish I could give more to other charities but reality is they need more money then I have to give. I do what I can for the charities I support. Some people have a hard time giving up money they have worked hard for to help support other Americans. I agree that guy was very rude and I would have had to remind him that without our armed forces he wouldn't have the free speech to say such things!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

to you and your soldier. I always support our armed forces not matter how I feel about their orders. I have several family members and friends that have spent time in Iraq both now and before.

I never carry cash when I go shopping so I dont usually buy outside the market (unless it is girl scouts or boy scouts) But I try to at least be polite when I say no. (except to PUSHY PUSHY people with pettitions)
Closed Thread