General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default Most Annoying Morning Ever...

I just need to vent, feel free to ignore me.

Wake up, got dressed for jog, and headed out the door. So far, so good, right? I got up, did my thing, started my jog.

I forgot that the middle school has started classes. I jog right around 7:15-8:00 every morning...right when school starts. The jogging only started around the beginning of summer, so I didn't realize. Did I mention I live smack between a middle school, a high school, and an elementary school? And this is the first time I've jogged since school went into session here? (i've been doing other cardio, I haven't been slacking I swear).

I almost got hit 6 (count them...6!) times this morning....4 times by middle schoolers on bicycles who refuse to recognize the fact that they have to stop at stop signs (don't know about the rest of the country, but in CA, bicycles have to follow the same rules as cars), that they can't do tricks hopping onto the sidewalks when there are pedestrians standing on the sidewalks, and that cutting off pedestrians and spinning in front of them is not cute, nor is it rebellious or particularly impressive. Especially when they are running, and already pissed off at the three asses who have almost hit them already.

The other two people were giant SUVs, driven by harried moms on cell phones, who were making wild turns trying to get their kids to school. Now, I can give middle-school aged bicyclists a bit of leeway - you're not likely to do a ton of personal or property damage with a bike, you're not fully mature, etc. But WHY on earth would you drive erratically on a cell phone RIGHT IN FRONT OF A SCHOOL, which is filled with middle-school aged kids on bikes, on foot, and getting out of cars if you're a rational adult? One actually hit my leg, and even that only because I was paying attention and jumped back as fast as I could. The other had to swerve and almost cause an accident to avoid me, a pedestrian in the crosswalk, crossing in accordance with all traffic rules. The kicker? Both flipped me off like it was my fault.

OK, to top it all off. I get back to my apartment (which faces the street) and there is this horrible vomiting sound. Apparently some elementary or middle-school aged kid, riding in a group of three or so kids, got sick. And being kids, at least two of the others started throwing up too. This didn't so much make me mad (I mean, they're kids, and the poor things felt sick), but it is rather disgusting to have a lawn full of puke.

This is the worst morning I've had in a LONG time.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

Update: A bag of trash just broke all over my living room carpet. It included coffee grounds.

Can I go back to bed now?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #3  
No description available.

Sounds like a winner of a day...

One time I was driving down a fairly busy street although at the moment traffic was light, but it is a major thoroughfare here and a man was jaywalking across the street. I came to a complete stop in the middle of the street so as not to hit him. He gave me the finger. I hadn't even been particularly annoyed prior to that, but he was flipping ME off? For stopping and not hitting his sorry @$$?

Amazing that those women gave YOU a hard time. And with kids around.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

It definitely sounds like one of those days that you just want to go back to bed. When the world aligns to give you one of those days it is often better to just cut your losses and stay home.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

I'm always amazed when I get flipped off by people who almost hit me when they are breaking the law and I am following it to the letter. Her kids were in the car. Great teaching, that one.

The bicyclists are an ongoing problem here. We're the "bike capital of the USA" and everyone rides a bike, which makes following traffic rules even more important. The biking culture is so big here that people tend to think they can do whatever they want without regard for the other people using the road (cars especially, but also pedestrians and other bicyclists).

On the plus side, the cops WILL ticket bicycles here for not following the rules - but they need someone by the schools when all the kids are riding in. They have regular patrol cars on Friday and Saturday nights, handing out BUIs (thats "bicycling under the influence"...its illegal and they'll take your drivers license away for it)...why no similar enforcement for the middle schoolers?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #6  
No Sniveling!

S/C/G: 168/130/130

Height: 5'3"

Boy! You must live in Temecula! Although I'm sure there are a thousand other cities just like it!

But I'm with you. I hate, hate, hate when someone does something stupid while driving (especially when they are talking on a cell phone and not paying attention) and then gets all mad at you. I know I've done stupid, lame things while driving but I always give the "sorry" wave or whatever.

Hope the rest of your day is better but you are fully justified in going back to bed for the day
Old 09-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

EVERYONE does stupid things while driving...I'm with you. I always try to give the "geez, am I an idiot" wave. Of course, I know people that get mad at the sorry wave. Not sure why. None of us is perfect.

I live in Davis, which was the first city to implement bike lanes, and is considered the most bike friendly city in the USA by the American League of bicyclists. we have over 100 miles of bike lanes, tunnels, and trails in our city of 50,000 people. So why, I wonder, do some many damned bicyclists end up riding on sidewalks and hitting pedestrians.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Wow what a day! Yah I would say you would be justified in crawling back into bed.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #9  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post

The bicyclists are an ongoing problem here. We're the "bike capital of the USA" and everyone rides a bike, which makes following traffic rules even more important. The biking culture is so big here that people tend to think they can do whatever they want without regard for the other people using the road (cars especially, but also pedestrians and other bicyclists).
Where is this place? I should move here!

lol sorry about that- I'm sorry you had a rough morning. Your sarcasm is so charming though, I almost want to make a movie with your life in it
Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Interesting... they call Redmond WA the Bicycle Capital of the World and even have a big sign up saying that... but IMO it isn't. There are a lot of bikers out in this area but certainly nothing like what it sounds like YOU have.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

Oh, the bikes are big here. We have "bike circles" (like traffic circles, but for bikes), bike cops who give tickets to people on bikes...its crazy. Its in Northern CA, near Sacramento. There are problems - the bikes getting in the way of traffic, and there is a lot of bike theft (most people now just keep their bikes inside). We have almost a bike shop for every 10,000 people - just insane.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #12  
hara hachi bu

That's awesome. I wish more cities in America were this bike-friendly. Bikes are easy to obtain, fix, and ride, and they are a superbly healthy mode of transportation.

That said, SUVs and cell phones (and self-righteous people) do NOT mix. That is an extraordinarily bad morning, I hope the rest of your day went a little smoother.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #13  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I was gonna say...sounds like The People's Republic of Davis....howdy neighbor!!

Hope your day is looking better by now!!! It can't get much worse than a pukey lawn and coffee grounds everywhere.

I feel your pain on the clueless drivers, I ride a scooter....I pretty much have to ride with the assumption that no one sees me. But it still gets old when they flip me off and it was their fault.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

Howdy Neighbor!

I think we're only The People's Republic during the whole earth festival...well, maybe not. OK, we're pretty extreme.
Closed Thread