General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Default How much does your insurance go up for a speeding ticket?

I got a speeding ticket. I can't take defensive driving again because I took it six months ago. How much will my insurance go up for a speeding ticket. I have one accident on my record from two years ago.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I don't know but I'll soon find out. My son is on our family car insurance and he goes to court on the 18th for a speeding ticket. His first one ever. Ugh.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #3  
Started again Aug 21, 09

S/C/G: 237/204/165

Height: 5'9"

Do they have deferred adjudication where you are? In Texas if you've taken defensive driving and get another ticket within 12 months, you have the option of doing DA. Basically when you do DA, if you do not get a ticket within 90 days of taking that option, then it drops off your record and insurance never has to know. Oh, and you can take this option as many times as you are eligible.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #4  

Depends on your insurance company, length of time with them, driving record, etc etc etc

I got a 4 point speeding ticket 2 years ago - didn't affect my rates at all because it was the only thing I'd ever gotten during the 14 years I've been with this insurance company.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #5  

Thanks for your responses. It turns that since my last defensive driving was sort of just punishment the judge assigned me to go along with deffered adjudication (that accident was shortly before the last ticket. I'm really a good driver but have had exceedingly bad luck in the very recent past.), I am actually eligible to take defensive driving again. I hate defensive driving. But it's better than higher insurance bills. From now on, my husband drives to church (both these tickets were on Sunday on the way to church). I think you should get some sort of amnesty if you are speeding to church.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have been afflicted with a heavy foot which has caused me to have several speeding tickets. Guess how much my insurance has gone up? Zero, zilch, nada, I live in California and do not know if this applies in other states , but you have a choice of going to traffic school and if you do , the ticket does not appear on your driving record and your insurance company never knows about it,traffic school is not so bad, one 8 hour day. If you have two tickets within 18 months you get to go for two 8 hour days, I've done that one, too.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Four words...

I love cruise control.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Well when I got a speeding ticket (that I never told my parents about) when I was a teenager and got an inattentive driving ticket for a fender bender (no damage on either vehicle), their insurance didn't go up. It only went up when my sister got into an accident and messed someone else's car up.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #9  

I worked for an insurance company for 20 fun-filled years.

It depends on:
1. Your State's Insurance laws
2. How fast you were over the limit
3. If your insurance company finds out

Some states forgive one minor speed (less than 15 mph over limit). Some states don't. Most States treat a major speed (15 mph and faster over limit) as an at-fault accident, which will REALLY hit your insurance policy.

Some insurance companies do not order a driving record every year. Some do. If your Insurance Company DOES order driving records when your policy renews AND your state charges for the violation, your policy could go up hundreds of dollars when it renews.

Whatever you do, I would advise not switching insurance companies any time soon. An application for a new policy will result in reports being ordered for sure.

From the insurance company's standpoint: If you got caught speeding, chances are that you speed on a semi-regular basis. People seldom get caught the one and only time they were speeding. If you speed on a semi-regular or regular basis, you are at a high risk to be in an accident, and that accident will have more damage and injury than someone who was driving slower. They are statistics, but they are true.

I speed, too, so I'm certainly not preaching. BUT, I don't speed if I can't keep a safe distance between me and the car in front of me.

That's a full 5-second distance. I don't know if they still teach that when you get your license, but you would be shocked to see how much room you need to stop when going 75 mph.

So, if anyone has problems falling asleep, just read this and you should be off to slumberland in no time.

I dozed off a few times while typing this, LOL.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 244/244/120

Height: 5'2"

Of course, it all depends on your state law but I'm in Fl and after getting a speeding ticket my insurance went up only $4. No big deal.
Good luck!
Old 09-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #11  
mom2cole

Like an earlier post said, when your insurance renews, if your insurance companies run a driving report then your insurance might go up. If the don't run report they might not ever know. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #12  

I love cruise control and my brand new radar detector.
Closed Thread