General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #1  
Cute n' curvy.

S/C/G: 270/270/130

Height: 5'3"

Question Practical Joke Gone Awry

OK gals, listen to this:

There is a segment on radion show here called "Nutcracker." The host, John Lander, calls the victim and put them in a situation in which the person reaches their boiling point. Then when it is revealed that their loved one set them up and the person has become a victim of the Nutcracker, everyone has a good laugh and the play it live over the air.

I decided to prank my mother. My mother is nuts, but I love her. I wrote to Lander and told him that I thought it would be a good idea if my cat, Chips, were to have a credit card. Obviously, cats cannot have cards, so my poor mother would have to defend this to Lander and he in turn would argue that Chips is responsible for what she spends.

He calls me up. He says, "I have been calling your mother about this and now it's time for you to get in on it." He calls my mom again but this time, I speak. I said, "What's up?" She starts telling me about how some a**hole is calling her saying that Chips has a credit card. Then Lander comes on and goes, "Thanks for putting me through, Operator." My mother starts getting heated because now he's back on the line. He starts messing with her asking her how old Chips is, can she put Chips on, what does Chips do for a living, etc. She says, point blank, "Chips. Is. A. Cat." It was so funny. Finally she got to the point where she was saying, "JUST HANG UP!" He then told me to explain myself and I said, "Ma ... you're on the radio." She goes, "Ha, ha, ha ... BYE." She hangs up.

I tried calling her, but to no avail. She would not answer my phone calls! It turns out she was so mad, that she told me that she would NOT allow them to put it on the air tomorrow. Lander even offered her a gift certificate for the Capitol Grille for being such a good sport, but she turned it down. Damn! All that hard work! I really didn't know she was going to be so insulted over this. It was just a joke.

Has this ever happened to you?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

That is hilarious. She needs to lighten up...maybe in a day or two she will chill out. That is funny as heck.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #3  

LOL ! thanks for sharing that. I really NEEEDED a good laugh, and that was really cute! Maybe she will change her mind?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I think it's so funny. Yeah, maybe in a day or two she'll think it's funny. Is she familiar with the radio segment already or not?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #5  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I thought that was hilarious. I would've laughed my off. To be on the radio (even if it's to be made fun of) AND get a freebie, c'mon! No brainer! Maybe I don't mind because I am a fool for the most part.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I hate practical jokes and being made fun of. I would never do that to someone, to put them in a position where potentially thousands of people are laughing at them. If you plan to do something mean to someone, don't be surprised if they don't like it.

Probably need to offer your mom a peace gesture and a sincere apology for embarassing her.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #7  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Turkey, are you a comedian??? Cuz you should be! You are forever killin' me!!! She'll get over it. Thats the stuff great stories and memories are made of! If nothing else YOU can tell the story! You rock.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #8  
Cute n' curvy.

My mom probably feels the same way Glory87 does. You can't go through life like that. It's not like I was making fun of her because I would never do that. People can't take themselves too seriously. I never do and I think I'm a lot happier for it.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Yeah, you can't really be upset with her for being a little skeeved that she was made a public spectacle out of.

I mean, don't get me wrong, that is HILARIOUS, but but be warned: she's probably in a dark room somewhere plotting her revenge.

I intern for a morning radio show and these guys pull some crazy stunts. Half the stuff they pull can't even be aired, but that's the risk you take. They also know that it's not about making friends and that the laugh has NOTHING to do with the person who gets pranked. I eman, i laughed just by you telling it.

And neither of them would prank their own mothers
Old 08-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #10  
No description available.

Turkey said: My mom probably feels the same way Glory87 does. You can't go through life like that.

Actually, you can go through life like that. Different personalities are amused by different things. I prefer to not be the target of mockery myself. I have a great sense of humor otherwise, but I am somewhat self-conscious and I also try to respect other people's feelings. Just apologize to her. She will forgive you. But don't be hard on her or think that she is wrong to be mad. That is her experience and deserves as much respect as anyone else's experience.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #11  

I don't like to be mocked either, but I don't see that as making fun of her. She isn't the brunt of that practical joke IMO. I think she'll see the humor in a day or so.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #12  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeighToGo
I don't like to be mocked either, but I don't see that as making fun of her. She isn't the brunt of that practical joke IMO. I think she'll see the humor in a day or so.
I don't see it as making fun of her either. I see it as people making fun of a stupid situation which an outside party doesn't know about. After all, her mother knew full-well that a cat can't have a credit card.

But eh, everybody's different.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

My dad used to be in charge of his school's library as a secondary duty while he was a High School English teacher some years ago. He brought home a letter that was addressed to :
Johnston Composite High School Library
from American Express. The letter inside read:
Dear Mr. Library, You have been pre-authorized for a credit card ...
Sounds like the same thing.
I think your mom will get over it! It's not like she applied for the card...
Loved the story.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

Default some people...

I think she probably overreacted, an obvious ploy like that when made known, should not have been reacted with such anger and resentment. It was funny and she should known something like that was done in good humor. I mean really- how hostile is it to make believe a cat has a credit card?!!! I know there are difficult people out there probably a good quater of the population that can't take a joke. Good thing she wasn't on camera, she might of disowned you! She might have been having a bad day or something, she'll probably get over it if you sincerely apologize for making her upset. Just know some people will never be able to understand good humor. Some people are just too uptight for one reason or another and can't let their gaurd down without serious intervention. Don't worry too much about it. You can't be to blame if she goes through life so testy.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #15  
Cute n' curvy.

Thanks for the feedback, gals!!! I appreciate everything. Mom is doing fine. She's still pissed, but she said she's only going to be mad for a little while longer (uh oh ... should I be concerned)?

She still won't let them air the segment. Oh well ... live and learn, I guess.
Closed Thread