General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #1  

Unhappy Cranky when I eat less!

Ever since I've started counting my calories and eating lesser than I used to, curbing my temptations I feel I am getting a lot more irritated than I used to be. Earlier I felt happy and satisfied and never craving for anything.

Now I feel angry easily, mood isnt the best always (though I do feel good when I measure my weight every morning)! I feel like I am frustrated with lil things at job/home. I feel good when I am exercising but when I come home, I feel low (I suppose I should feel high)...PMS is worse than before. I feel like I've become very self absorbed and not the happy jolly I used to be.

Does anyone else feel so? any advice would be highly appreciated. wha should I do?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

What sort of a calorie drop did you make? About what were you eating before the change? If you went from eating about 2500 a day, for instance, and are now eating about 1500...then a 1000 calorie a day drop is going to be a big deal for your body, you know? Hard to handle for a while.

One thing that may help, is to be sure that you are eating something with a little protein with each meal or snack. Don't just have carbs/fruit/veggies on their own. A few nuts, milk/yogurt, a bit of peanut butter, or bit of lean meat with each meal/snack will keep your blood sugar levels more balanced, and you won't get as cranky.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:17 AM   #3  
pole princess!

S/C/G: 136.5/136.5/107

Height: 4'10"

I know the feeling, I was like that at first.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:51 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Like Aphil said - make sure your blood sugar doesn't drop too low. You do need calories to function - and you only really need to drop by about 250-500 calories through food and burn 250-500 calories through exercise every day to lose 1-2lbs in a week. Make sure you're not burning too much or eating too little.

I used to get cranky but that was when I ate about quarter of a biscuit for breakfast (to "boost" my metabolism ) no lunch and then whatever dinner was put on the table. Usually not a lot, since my Granny knew I was trying to diet!

What a diet ninny I was Now I eat more and weigh less
Old 07-27-2006, 06:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

What everyone else said is right and sensible, but I would also ask what kinds of foods you are eating. Foods with a lot of additives and artificial sweeteners always make me more bad tempered (like some diet foods, especially sweet ones). If this sounds like it could apply to you, you could try reducing the amount of these sorts of foods in your diets and swapping them for more wholesome foods.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:15 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

My questions are the same as Pachyderm... depends a LOT IMO on what you are eating. Go for whole, unprocessed foods like lots of fruits and veggies, along with protein, etc. Much more filling and satisfying than processed junk and artificial sweeteners, sodiums and chemicals.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Have you read the book "Volumetrics" by Barbara Rools and Robert Barnett? They talk about our bodies like a certain amount of food, no matter how many calories it has in it. The whole concept of the book is how to get more volume for you calorie buck. I've found it helpful. Because I know I want a lot of food to eat.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #8  

I eat lots of fruits and veggies. I started having salads(no dressings) and yogurt for lunch instead of burgers. I eat a low cal cereal like HiLo or oatmeal and half a toast for brkfst. I snack on things like low cal protein bars/crackers/nuts. I eat salad/steamed veggies for dinner.

I exercise a lot. I run 1 mile a day for 3-4 days a week. Also started swimming. If I eat even a bit more than this (even with same exercise), I will gain like 1 lb next day! (which is highly frustrating). I cant exercise more than this!!! and I cant eat less than this!

I think I have this gnetic tendency to gain weight because with the same exercise and much more food, My husband is loosing a whole lot! BTW, I count my calories to the ideal requirement for my age and height (about 1300 calories a day)
Old 07-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Also, try eating small amounts many times a day. I eat 6 times a day. By fueling my body often, I never really feel famished or deprived. Some meals require more substance and others I get by on fruit or something equally light (depends on the time of day). I also want to know the calorie drop. Some people try to go too low.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #10  
PinkSnowDays

S/C/G: 260/250/150

Are you drinking enough water? It seems that you are getting in your protein in which would of been my first guess but maybe you body is getting dehydrated and tired = cranky? Just a thought. Hope something works out for you!
Closed Thread