General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #1  
:)

S/C/G: 167/140/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Babysitting!!! Some advice, plz!

OK, so, here's the deal. I basically just hate kids. Not always, but most of the time. I don't know why but I just can't stand them... maybe because they make me so damn uncomfortable!!! Anyways, I am babysitting tonight: two spawns of Satan (yes I'm sure of this) and I just got a babysitting job for their neighbor for the next two weeks.

How do I keep these kids entertained??? I mean besides just popping in a movie (which I wish I could do the whole time). Yesterday these two kids were horrible to me. I went outside to play with them and they shot me in the head with a nerf gun and then ran away on their bikes. I was PISSED. No matter how much I tried I could not get them back!! So I chased them down and practically pulled them inside. Their dog ran out so I had to get her, too, but them they locked me out. Ooooooooooh my goodness I was about to boil over, but they didn't lock the garage door so I went in that way and sent them up to their rooms while they were kicking me and calling me names.

Seriously, I cannot put up with this. I have to babysit again tonight and then I hope thats the end for a while for those little brats. They are mean and undisciplined. The first time I babysat for them their mom actually told me not to "beat them or spank them." I was like... ok well I wasn't planning on beating them or anything, but now I'm sure they could use it!! But after the mom has the baby, I aint babysitting no more. I can't do babies.

What the heck do I do??? Nothing seems to work on these kids... plus the fact that I can't keep them in their rooms and I'm not allowed to punish them any other way.
BumpSetSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

I would call the mother and make her aware of exactly what they did to you last time.Have her sit them down and read them the riot act and to tell them it better not happen again.If she won't then back out of babysitting
I am not fond of kids most of the time either.I suggest you consider finding another way to make money.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Tell the parents to find another babysitter, haha
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

Oh man, I know how you feel. I once babysat my second cousin for the summer. He was waayy too young to be potty-trained, but his mom INSISTED on trying, and she COULDNT buy the pull-ups or anyting, she had to use CLOTH diapers....! He was a total brat and would never once sit on the toilet, instead would go in his underwear, and then she was all bewildered when she had about 6 pairs of soiled underwear when she got home. I eventually got fed up and put diapers on him. You've never seen Spawn of Satan until you've seen this kid. :S

Now I am babysitting my other cousin and he isnt too bad, likes to watch TV, mostly takes care of himself but he LOVES to scare my cats, birds, and chickens to death. I have to hide my animals in separate rooms when he comes, the poor things.

Im not very motivated to entertain kids, it'd probably be different if they were my own. So, I'll check back later and see if i can learn anything.

Last edited by cardsfan2009; 07-21-2006 at 05:53 PM.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:48 PM   #5  

Yeah I am thinking about just quitting on them... But I have to go tonight because they owe me for last night and one other night. Plus I can't just quit on them at the last minute. So I will try to put up with them this last night.

Anywho... cardsfan, I can totally relate. Her youngest, which is going into kindergarden this yr., isn't even potty trained yet. I'm sorry but their mom really need to get her act together and take control of her kids... but it's not my place to say that so I guess I won't! But yeah, I can handle kids if they just work with me, but most of them don't.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #6  
No description available.

It really sounds like you should not take babysitting jobs. Also (taking a hint from your end-quote), try praying before you go. Love and compassion go a long way with children.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You absolutely should not put up with that behavior. I would tell the parents what happened last time and tell them that if it happens this time, you are going to call them and you expect them to come home right away.

Then if it happens, I would just call their parents and tell them that the kids are out of control and they need to come home. If you think you are angry, imagine how angry their parents are going to be with them when they've ruined their evening.

When I used to babysit and the kids were out of control, all I had to do was pick up the phone. I didn't even have to dial. As soon as I took the phone of the hook, the kids would stop what they were doing and beg me not to call their parents.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #8  
pole princess!

S/C/G: 136.5/136.5/107

Height: 4'10"

Default Try This

My nephew, who is a complete pill, is outa control. I love him dearly though because Im one of the few who can control him.

What you do is bring somthing that you think they would like. A treat(make brownies or cupcakes), a cheap dollar store toy, or a game that they dont have, that you bring over that they get to play only when you come over (Twister is a great one), whatever, be creative. Bring it with you and let them know you have it. Set guidlines for the evening and let them know that if they are mostly wellbehaved that they will earn their treat. If they start to misbehave, let them know that they are in danger of losing their treat. It might work. Give them attention it is probably what they are lacking.

This is how I keep my nephew under control. In fact my sister-in-law even joked when we were headed ito the delivery room for the birth of the second child that they were just going to hand the baby over to me for raising

Of coarse I am allowed to give him a good wholup on his bottom if need be (which devastates him because he is auties luvsponge) But I have only had to resort to that on 2 occasions.

Try it may work! Kids love babysitters who bring the fun.
Blueyedblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

BUMPSETSPIKE~ ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I have read what you have posted about babysitting...my first and ONLY thought was: THIS IS NOT THE JOB for you!

Then I read at the bottom of your posts:

"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it."

Prayers for God's will in this matter.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #10  

Hey guys well thanks for the replies... yes, I realize that this is not the job for me but somehow I tell myself that I will put up with it... but it's not working with these kids. Usually the kids I babysit are not this out-of control! But anywho, the advice that most of you gave me was great. If they continue this behaviour tonight I am going to tell the parents. Unfortunately, I don't have time to run to the store or get candy or anything, because they will be here in about 10 min to pick me up... unless they said 7:30 but I can't remember if they said 5:30 or 7:30.

And also, thanks for noticing my end quote. It's my favorite. But re-reading my post and then reading that made me realize that I wan't acting in a very Christian-like way. So I apologize for that.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #11  
Melting Butter

Ugh. I don't like kids much either.
Good Grief. I couldn't babysit for any kid...unless it was some extreme circumstance and the kid was under 10 months old, and it was just the one kid.
I don't know why but I've never liked kids. I tend to be uncomfortable around them too and they get on my nerves after 5 minutes.
Good luck to you...I know I couldn't do it myself!
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpSetSpike

And also, thanks for noticing my end quote. It's my favorite. But re-reading my post and then reading that made me realize that I wan't acting in a very Christian-like way. So I apologize for that.
He has already forgivin you! Good luck V-B Girl, you are on your way to being a mature person! When they push you, push back....but first try with a "cookie" (a nice gesture or comment) Maybe that will help, but then, some kids are just....................
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #13  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
OK, so, here's the deal. I basically just hate kids. Not always, but most of the time. I don't know why but I just can't stand them... maybe because they make me so damn uncomfortable!!!

Hmmmm... I really get the feeling you should be letting the parents know TONIGHT that you can't continue to watch their children. I imagine if they read the statement you wrote, they would probably change their plans anyways. Even if these kids were angelic, it is not in their best interest (or yours for that matter) for you to be responsible for them. I imagine in a few years, you may change your feelings a bit, and babysitting will come easier for you. I'm assuming you are pretty young yourself (physically and emotionally also) and you have a lot to learn about how to deal with young minds. (My feeling is that bribery is NOT the way.. but that isn't what my post is about )
If you need to find something to earn some spending money for the summer look into yard maintenance or maybe start a small errand-running business. Just some ideas for you.
Also, If I were you I would definately think twice about the job you accepted from the neighbor too.

I'm really sorry if I come off sounding harsh hon, but just re-read your opening sentence again, then think about why these kids may be acting up towards you.... Kids are NOT stupid. they probably know exactly how you feel about them and are probably just as unhappy having you there as you are to be there...... Good luck !
iwmonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:24 AM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

If you were my childs babysitter, I would respect you 100% more if you were upfront and told me that you really don't like children. This is a sure sign that you shouldn't be babysitting. I would then make other plans to stay home or have someone who is more experienced and comfortable to watch my children. There is nothing wrong with admitting that you can't tolerate babysitting. I have never seen a child that was totally angelic, including my own.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyedblond
What you do is bring somthing that you think they would like. A treat(make brownies or cupcakes), a cheap dollar store toy, or a game that they dont have, that you bring over that they get to play only when you come over (Twister is a great one), whatever, be creative. Bring it with you and let them know you have it. Set guidlines for the evening and let them know that if they are mostly wellbehaved that they will earn their treat. If they start to misbehave, let them know that they are in danger of losing their treat. It might work. Give them attention it is probably what they are lacking.
Oh my goodness... you are a genius. They were angels tonight!!! I told them that if they behaved.... I would buy them a baby bottle pop for next time... and it worked!! We actually had fun! Thanks!