General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #1  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Default Visiting Dallas, TX

Im going back to Texas the end of August this year.
Last time I went for a month and I sat on a computer all day while my bf was at work(his town has no public transport).
This time I plan to make the most of my time, (Im going to be there for just under 2weeks and 2 weeks in Fl)
Now, as there is no public transport, It going to be impossible to get around, but I will find a way.
I 'may' have my driving licence by then and will be insured on my bfs car, but I dont think Id feel okay being responsable for his most favoriste possession and driving of US roads.
If I had this option to make most of my time, what do I need to try and see?

If I dont have a licence, I have to find other ways of getting to a place of public transport and seeing stuff: what should I try and see? How do I work around the none.
Thanks for your time

My second dilema is, if Im 'trying' as much as possible, do I include foods (ekk!) like cookie dough blasts etc seeing as it is my holiday and I wont get these things for ages?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

First of all, have a great trip and have lots of fun! I never have been there so I don't know what to see or do - but as for food - count everything! But- if it were me I would count it but wouldn't scold myself for eating it or going over my calories (or whatever plan). This is your vacation treat yourself a bit but don't just ingore that you ate it. If you start ingoring it then you forgot and then you eat something else and ingore that and it really ads up.

That is just my two cents - have a good time, don't be afraid to indluge a bit, but make sure you record it (you are only lying to yourself).

have fun!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Sonic drinks are perhaps one of God's little gifts (Strawberry Limeade on a hot summer day, anyone?), but please do try some Tex-Mex when you are down there... or at least some good BBQ. I mean, at LEAST have a proper steak.

Is your boyfriend going to have some time off, like on the weekends? Perhaps you guys could go to Lake Travis in Austin or into the Hill Country to go hiking(just west of Austin). You could also go to the gulf coast. The coast used to be incredibly polluted between the refineries and the oil spills, but they have done a wonderful job of cleaning it up.

Like I said in my other post, even though it is my birthplace and my family is still there, I made it a rule a long time ago to never patron that state in the summer months- unless it's straight to the beach. I suppose my gut instinct is to find a body of water.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #4  

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth - have for most of my life.

I guess my first question would be: What part of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex will you be in? You're right - there is very little public transportation, so what you will be able to see will depend on where you will be.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

CJ, can I ask you something? Every time I'm in Houston I'm amazed at how beautiful downtown is- and how dead it is. Is Dallas the same way? I always thought that the nightlife was not too bad, but I wonder if metro Dallas is kind of hurting because of lack of public transportation.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #6  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Hello, I live in Dallas. There are lots of neat museums, parks and resteraunts that I could let you know about. There are plenty of taxis, but we do have a Railway and a train that can get you pretty much most of the places. .

Let me know if you want to know more. you can google some of these to get more info also

The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza Home Page-chronicles all things JFK-very interesting
Dallas Museum of Art & Dallas Museum of Women
Dallas West End-food, bars, touristy area
Addison Area (north Dallas) lots of resteraunts
Galleria-the best mall
Northpark-my favorite mall
Old 06-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #7  
Marathon Goddess

I live right outside of Dallas commute everyday to dallas, we have public trans, granted Ive been to London, and the train system there is massive, and super nice, but ours is pretty nice, its small, its just in its beginning stages, but it gets you down town, and stuff, and even to Fort Worth, lots to see there as well. I take the trains all the time to avoid traffic. I would defenitly take the train, downtown, and see all the tourist sights, I catch all the new shows at the DMA, (Dallas Museum of Art) It easy on the train, also they have an outdoor symphony night durng the summer. Now in August it will easily be 100 degrees here, so you can take the underground tunnels downtown to go places and stay cooler, also, there is more shopping per square foot in dallas than anywhere else in the US, so go shopping, I kid you not its awesome here!! :-) Enjoy, I hope you love my town and state as much as I do!! :-)
Old 06-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #8  

Um, yes it is definitely hot here. I just moved here recently and I've lived in the south all my life. It's as if each state has it's own sun or something. You flat out can't breathe in this heat. My advice plenty of sunscree, inhalers and definitely find a body of water or air conditioned settings.
For all of you who lived here all of your lives, can you please tell me where i can find some good (well seasoned) food? Not Tex-Mex...
Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 335/324/230

Height: 6'1

When you say "well seasoned", do you mean authentic Mexican food or another type of ethnic food that is spicy such as Cajun, Indian, Spanish, etc.?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:36 AM   #10  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Ill be staying in Mesquite in the East Dallas area.
but I may have transportation to go anywhere I desire.
Kepp em coming, Ill make an itinary for when my bf is at work like 1-7pm weekdays

Im making a list
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...25#post1289225

Last edited by angeleyezx; 06-07-2006 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #11  
Marathon Goddess

See Im just the opposite, I love the heat, its the cold I cant survive in, I always say bring on the 100's. no problems here with that! :-)

When you say well seasoned what do you mean. I believe we have great food of all ethnic categories, what are you looking for and maybe some of us can be more of a help.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #12  

I like Mexican cooking, greek, Old southern style, but I guess the places I've been taken to thus far have missed the mark. although I will say that Mother's Daughter's is pretty good. Someone suggested Sweet Georgia Brown's , but from what I've heard that is just too much sugar for me to digest. I like oriental, not chain oriental, but authentic. Doesn't matter if it is a hole in the wall joint, just great food. Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #13  

http://www.guidelive.com

This is the Dallas Morning News guide to Dallas-Fort Worth (mostly Dallas). It has everything going on in the city and the surrounding suburbs - natives even use it to plan their weekends.

Junebug, now that the West End Marketplace is closing down, one more nail has been driven in the coffin of what is an ongoing attempt to bring life into downtown Dallas. There is still more going on there than in Houston, though, but it's getting primarily focused in the northern end of downtown (the arts district).

Angel, Fort Worth is definitely something to consider as well, even though it's a ways from Mesquite. It's all highway to get there, though - and it's my hometown, so I'm partial.

If you're coming in the summer be aware that we do have horrendous air pollution days here during the summer. If you have any breathing problems be sure to bring your medications and take them faithfully.

As far as Dallas Area Rapid Transit goes, you can get anywhere in Dallas on it but it can take forever. I live in Lewisville (north of Dallas), and I can't take DART to my work in Dallas because it would take two hours to commute one way. DART is good for some things, though, especially for going downtown if you are near a transit center or train station. You can go to http://www.dart.org and use the trip planner that's there to see if DART is better than driving. If you want to go to the Mid Cities (Arlington, Hurst, Euless, etc...) the Trinity Railway Express may be of some use to you. It will take you to downtown Fort Worth, but transit in Fort Worth beyond the TRE is useless.

I still don't consider DART to be "rapid" anything, though. My family is from NYC and I'm used to going up there and taking the subway anywhere I want to go, so I'm spoiled.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 AM   #14  
Melting Butter

I go to school in Abilene Texas which is 3 hours west of Dallas...and since Abilene is kind of small (hometown is Houston) I'm in Dallas all the time!

I really enjoy the nightlife. There are many great clubs to go to for dancing and drinks.
As far as the heat goes...wear summery things because the heat is awful. Especially if you plan on going to the parks or zoos. Whew.
And the public transportation...CJ is so right... public transportation in Dallas is not even close to the wonder and ease of the subways of NYC. God bless the subway. *smiles*
I hope you have a great time and keep us posted on all that you do!
Closed Thread