General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #1  
Sweet Success

Default To all who wears contacts I got a question

I am wondering if it would be safe to wear contacts riding on the Roller Coasters and other fast moving amusement rides?

I have always worn contacts in the last 4 years. The last time I was at an amusement park was 5 or 6 years ago and I was wearing glasses at the time and back then had left my glasses in the car because basically even if you rode the roller coasters they request you to put your glasses up in the cubby holes they provide or it is at your own risk to lose them on the roller coaster rides. It was not a big deal back then to leave them in my car because I could see okay.

As of now, I can't do with out my contacts or I be blind as a bat! I would like to go to Six Flags this year, I miss riding the roller coasters but I wonder if it is even safe to ride roller coasters with contacts.

Has anyone ever had any problems riding rides while wearing contacts?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #2  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Gee Ive ridden on many rides and have never had a problem other then drying out, which you can take care of with buying a small bottle of eye drops (tears)
Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I've never had a problem doing anything with my contacts in... They're pretty stuck to your eyes, I wouldn't think they'd go anywhere! I even swim with mine in. Have fun!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yup. If there's a lot of wind from a fast ride, they can dry out. But usually, you can shut your eyes to rewet them a bit, then use some rewetting drops after the ride is over.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I JUST went to the amusement park last month and didn't even think about my contacts. I didn't even think I would have any kind of problem and I didn't. But I don't have the same luck with swimming in them; I always have to take them out. They dry out and bother the heck out of me. I guess it's the brand. What kind do you use, Valrock? I've got to switch brands because they don't make Surevue anymore. I want to try the new hydraclear Acuvue.

Did anyone use the ReNu that was recalled because of the eye fungus? Well I did use ReNu (because my parents bought all of that stuff for me) but since I'm grown and poor now, I buy the generic Walmart brand ($5 less!!!!) I just thought it was funny that the more expensive stuff gave people fungus and my cheap Walmart brand never has given me a problem.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I wear freshlook contacts... They've never given me a problem. I can't even remember the last time I use eyedrops, but it could just be that I'm lucky like that. I have a hard time remembering to take them out at night all the time... I need to switch to a brand that's extended wear!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #7  

I don't use eyedrops either . . . I'm bad with my contacts though ~ they are two week disposable and I keep wearing the same ones for months at a time ~ until they tear or I lose them. I can't afford to throw those suckers away every two weeks ~ I'd have to buy a new box every 3 weeks. I'm scared to get extended wear because I've read about getting ulcers and infections ~ even from the extended wear type. I've heard of Freshlook, but I'll probably end up buying whatever is cheapest!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 03:55 AM   #8  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I agree. I wore mine to an amusement park and even through the water rides, etc. Like the ladies suggested, take along a small bottle of those renew drops and you'll be fine............
Old 06-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I just got new contacts that have a special silicone center with the regular contact stuff on the outside. I forget what the brand is. I can sleep in them for up to 6 nights in a row according to the packaging. I tried six and only made it to four without having to get up and put tears in. But that is good enough for me. Also, the doctor told me that even though it says two weeks, If I care for them....and not sleep in them every night...they can last for 4 weeks not the two weeks as described on the box.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #10  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I have worn contacts for 21 years and I hit Cedar Point every year (more than 1x per year if I am lucky, I am a thrill seeker LOL) & I sit up front, hands up & eyes wide open! --- never had a problem with contacts. I wear gas perms now & way back then I had soft ones, but still never had any trouble or losses regarding them at the parks.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Hello,

I am an optician, and it may make me a party pooper, but by swimming with your contacts in, you can do serious damage to your eyes! When you swim, anything that is in the water is absorbed into your lens, including parasites, bacteria and other impurities.

As far as over wearing your contact lenses, if you feel that you cannot afford a two week disposable, do your eyes a service and look into other contacts. Yearly lenses are made to be worn over long periods of time. If you take care of them and clean them properly, you should not have an issues with ulcers AS LONG AS YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM! Most eye problems involving contacts are caused by either an ill fitted lens or improper care ( like using saline as a cleaning agent, or wearing a ripped lens).

As far as using generic multi purpose cleaners, there is no problem, but just make sure that you use the same solutions, do not mix and match, as many solutions do not play well with others.

I do not mean to sound harsh, but it is daily that I hear of someone who lost another lens, doesn't have back up glasses and has been abusing thier lenses...now they want more, even "one lens to get me by?"...We even see people who wear thier friend's/relative's contacts that are no where near thier own.

I'm sure that this post will make me very unpopular, but consider that you may be saving money by cutting corners, but with the risks that you are taking, it'll be much more expensive to correct any damage.

There are many contacts out there. Lenses that are meant to be slept in ( not all contacts can be slept in, due to lack of oxygen to the eye). As well as hydraclear lenses ( O2 optix, acuvue advance, acuvue oasys, ect.) that promotes moisture/oxygenization to the eye....Not all contacts are created equal.

I realize that no matter what I say, people are going to do whatever they want because "it hasn't happenned to me", but just keep in mind the health of your eyes.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:02 AM   #12  

Also, wearing contacts on rollercoaster and the like shouldn't be an issue. There may be dryness due to the amount of air hitting your eye, but if the contact is fitted well, there shouldn't be an issue. Consider that so much air is pressing on your face when you're on the ride, the same amount is pressing against your lenses.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #13  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Optical Goddess, thanks for sharing! I can speak for myself, I've always used the "disposables". When I was wearing them daily I would be sure to throw them away when they expired. But now I only wear them once in a while. Not often at all. So should I still be throwing them out as often? I clean them each time and everything.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #14  

If you are wearing a disposable lens ( we'll say a 2 wk disp.) it is meant for two weeks of wear. Many people only use thier lenses for a few days here or there or only for certain seasons ( snow mobiling, hunting, ect.) If you only wear them two days a week, you will be able to wear them for 7 weeks ( 2 x 7= 14). Be sure to clean them before you wear them again, even if time elapses, like if you clean them, put them in the case, and then a week later want to wear them. It's like a dirty bathwater thing.

You can also get contacts that are meant to be worn once and thrown out, so you don't deal with cases, ect. It's something to look into depending on how sporadically you wear your lenses.

I hope this helped answer your question.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #15  

ooops, I got in trouble. I will look into the longer wear type of lenses. I just think, "I can't just throw this $3 lens away when it still feels perfectly good," but that's bad, I know. But I don't sleep in them or anything, like I used to when I was a dumb teenager (and I reused soaking solution) That was REALLY bad and I got in big trouble from my opt. And they were the kind you ARE NOT supposed to sleep in. They were literally glued to my eyeball when I woke up in the morning.

And about the one lens thing: my friend and I BOTH lost a contact while we were in France, and we both had to see the beauty of France through ONE good eye because we were idiots and didn't bring extra contacts OR glasses.

This is so weird that this came up because I just found out TODAY my optometrist died. Scary. It's so sad because my mom was just chatting with him last week and he gave her some books.
Closed Thread