General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #1  

Default no flour, no sugar diet

My daughter and I are going to try Dr. Gott's no flour, no sugar diet. Is honey considered sugar? What about pure maple syrup?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm not familiar with this. I read in a paper about the "nothing white diet" and tried it a couple years ago. No sugar, flour, pasta, white bread, milk, rice or potatoes. I didn't know it at the time, but I'm Atkins now and it seemed about the same.Atkins does restrict fruits but I don't. I love them and have included them in my weight loss program all along and done fine with eating them. Fruit didn't make me fat.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle
Fruit didn't make me fat.
I love it! I'd use it as my signature if my signature wasn't already so long.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

You should consider Sugar Busters!! Come to our forum and check it out!!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:55 PM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi,

I'm not familiar with that particular plan either, but one of the things you should figure out is what is the main thrust of the plan. Honey is considered differently by different plans. Does the plan look at those things that simply spike the blood sugar and all the problems that can lead to or is it concerned more with getting rid of the nutritionally empty calories that most of the sugars contribute.

Yes, honey spikes blood sugar, but taken occasionally and with protein can be part of a balanced food plan as honey does have some redeeming nutritional qualities. There may be some concerns about using raw honey as it has natural organisms that can be harmful to babies.

Here's a starting point if you like.
http://www.honey.com/pressrm/research/nutri.html
Karen
Old 06-19-2006, 02:10 AM   #6  
resident lactivist

You should probably order Dr Gott's booklet. If memory serves (the paper here doesn't have his column), honey and maple syrup are both verboten, as, well, they're both sugars. I believe the main thrust is to eat nothing with added sugar. I'm always rather bemused by people who think honey is a different matter diet-wise from sugar. It's still a caloric sweetener, & it still works in your body much the same way. Syrup as well. Neither is an integral part of anything, unlike fructose & lactose (the sugars found naturally in fruit & dairy products).

OK, I did a Google search trying to find Dr Gott's column online (and United Features Syndicate, which distributes his column, said that particular feature was down right now), & apparently he does have a book out on his no flour, no sugar diet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...lance&n=283155

I think you can get a good feel for the diet simply by reading his columns. If it's too vague for you, you might want to try Sugar Busters; I've had great success with that WOE.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 AM   #7  

Honey is about 100% sucrose...or table sugar. It is not a good choice if you are trying to avoid sugars for glycemic reasons. Maple syrup is the same...high sucrose. Agave syrup on the other hand, is almost 100% fructose and does not have a high glycemic index. Honey and maple syrup are NOT ok for diabetics, but agave is.

A diet that limits whites, and sugars is very close to Sugarbusters. If you need ideas or support, as Techwife said, come check out the Sugarbusters forum.
Closed Thread