General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #1  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

Default Ipod, Lyra, Zen??

Who has a mp3 player? Which is best? There are so many choices. Hubby wants to get me one for late mothers day gift but I dont know anything about them so I need your help please.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #2  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I have a 2mg sandisk -- I love mine! I can load books and music (photos too)

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...layer_2GB.aspx
Old 05-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #3  

I love my Creative Zen Micro. It has tons of storage, radio, awesome sound quality, and is simple to use. It is small enough that is isn't any trouble to carry around but isn't so small that it gets lost in my purse or anything. It is just heavy enough that if it fell off/out of my pocket at the gym I would know it was gone but not so heavy that I notice it there when I'm working out (hope that makes sense!)
Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I have a Zen Micro too! I really like it, plus I love the colour! That's the only reason I bought it!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #5  
I restore Teeth.

I love the design of the Zen, but I own an ipod. I would recommend the zen but the ipod is good if your get the THICK ones. If you get nano or the new video ipods, they can break easily. My 4rth generation Ipod photo has been dropped a million times and functions like a charm! It' also got 60 GB which is plenty of space.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #6  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

My husband has gone through two different mp3 players. His favorite is an iPod. It is great especially when you use iTunes with it. Which is a really good program. He loved his so much that we got me an iPod Shuffle. I only wanted something for when I workout and it's great. Plus it was alot cheaper than the bigger sized iPods.

I highly recommend iPod.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #7  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I have an IPod Mini. Sadly, less than 6 months after I got it, it was out of date and they don't even make it anymore... sigh. ITunes was a bit of a hassle to get up and running on my PC (I think Apple was being snippy since it wasn't a Mac), but now that I've got it all sorted out, I like it!

My son has the Nano and hasn't had any problems with it at all. Neither of us has had them break, nor have we ever had any problem with them (aside from the aforementioned initial set up).

ITunes has an extensive library. It even has a decent (but sadly not overwhelming) library of video game tunes. It was easy enough to add our own collection of video game soundtracks (and any other CDs we own), though, so it's all good.

I haven't tried any other players, but I'm happy enough with the IPod and can recommend it.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #8  

I just received and iPod Nano for my birthday. I love and the sound is absolutely phoenominal. I hear things in songs I've never heard before.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #9  
plucky clucky

ok I admit I am technologically challenged I have a hp pc with windows xp, will an ipod work on this? What is the difference between the ipod nano and a shuffle? Do they really hold 1000 songs or is it just hype? I don't need photos on it but I want to be able to both pick the order the songs play and set it to randomly play. Itunes, how much is it , do you pay per song or story? or membership?

Last edited by Bravelilchicken; 05-16-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I am all about the iPods as well. Both my boyfriend and I have iPod Mini's and I loved it to pieces and finally gave in and bought myself a 60gig iPod Video. I beieve 60gigs is more space then I will ever need (30gig even would of been too much). But I can put videos, music, photos, etc on it. And if I can get it to work, I can unload my digital camera right to the iPod. The battery for both the iPod Mini and video lasts me about 20 hours. iTunes workes great on both my Mac and my PC and is sooo easy to use!

If you want to go running and such with it I recommened the Nano and get a nice armband for it. Keep in mind that even with 2GB one you have more music then battery life. But if it were me I would opt for the 4GB just to make sure.

Yes the iPod will work FINE with your computer. iTunes is free. And like I said, you want the iPod Nano then. Yes they really hold 1000 songs (or there abouts) it depends on the song size and length. Sometimes my iPod Mini only holds 800 songs sometimes it holds over 1000. You definatly want a good case for it as well as an iPod as the iPod Nano's do get marks on them easly but they they don't break. There was actually a webpage about people running over them with cars trying to get them to break! it took a lot of work and I dont think they ever got it to really break, just the screen stopped working. iTunes allows you to pay per song and per album. You can also take any CDs you have and import them into itunes and it goes right onto your ipod.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #11  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Nice summary, Sotypical. I have a few things to add (just to make sure all of Bravel's questions get answered):

A) Each tune you download from ITunes currently costs 99 cents. You can use a credit card or an ITunes card (like a giftcard) to pay. My only complaint about the purchasing process is you can't hear the entire selection before purchasing. You get a 30-second snippet and ITunes selects the snippet. Sometimes, that's not the part you need to hear in order to determine whether this is, indeed, the song you wanted. But, after downloading tons of tunes, I think I've made, maybe 5 mistakes. Less than $5 in errors is ok with me!

B) The difference between the Nana and the Shuffle (besides how many songs each can hold) is the Shuffle automatically shuffles the order of your playlist. You can't tell it to play songs in a particular order. With the Nana, you have the option to choose your own order or set it to play in a random order. You have more control over the Nano (but it costs more than the Shuffle).

C) I don't think either the Nano or Shuffle handles pictures. You'd need an upgraded IPod for that function.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #12  
plucky clucky

Thank you so much. 1 more question though, can I load the nano from like my windows media player or does it have to go through itunes?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #13  
Follow Me to Onederland!

S/C/G: 284~278~150

We have an Ipod shuffle....it's great and holds plenty of music for working out or whatever...I used to be able to head to the gym and for 2 days not hear the same thing twice.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #14  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

I have a 2G Nano, and I love it. I created a workout list and I'm constantly adding to it and it's always on shuffle. Makes the elliptical time go by a lot faster. I also got a docking station for it.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #15  

I have the iPod Nano... LOVE IT! I can't say anything but good things about it. I have the strap that you can strap it onto your arm so I use it at the gym all the time.

I personally find iTunes amazing to use, and organize all my music in. I would definately recomend getting an iPod!
Closed Thread