General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default 3fc mentioned at conference

Hi all, I attended a conference today on mindful eating in an obesegenic environment (or something like that!). The speakers discussed marketing and public policy and how that affects the food choices people make. People are more likely to say they enjoyed food with a fancy descriptive name than if the food has a plain name. So call those egg white omelets "Italian Vegetable Folded Frittata" or something.

Marion Nestle was there and she was fabulous. If you ever get a chance to hear her speak, jump on it!

There was a nutritionist from Brooklyn there who showed a slide with various "dieting" books, and right smack in the middle was the 3FC book. She said it was brand new and that she loved the title.

Later she lectured on Maintenance. The main points were that most people lose about 10% of their body weights and that fluctuations are normal and often derail maintainers. There were many mentions of the NWCR.

A speaker touched on medications and another touched on meal replacements. She considered combos, like string cheese and an apple, to be meanl replacements.

Their advice: Start with slow manageable changes, eat breakfast, eat every 3 hrs or so, exercise for health and maintenance. Gee, everything I already knew from 3fc....except here it is free advice! I wanted to stand up and talk about how many people on here lose and maintain a hundred or so pounds. Meg or Howie or Mrs. Jim or Charles....you all should be on the lecture circuit!

A final topic was mindful eating...makes sense. Don't eat out of habit. Think about what you are eating and why.

Great advice for myself and for my patients (although I send most of them to this website for support and common sense tips).
Old 05-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #2  
it's always something

What a fascinating way to spend your day! Thanks for letting us know that we were mentioned, that's exciting and really an honor considering the event!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

That's great that the book was mentioned at the conference! When people ask me what "plan" I am using or my "support" I say 3FC and the response is often "Oh, I've heard of that." Word is beginning to spread!
Closed Thread