General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #1  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default Would you rather be thin and poor OR fat and rich?

I heard that question this morning while I was watching the news.

I think it is an interesting question.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #2  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Fat and rich. Thin and poor means I'd probably not be getting enough nutrients. At least if I were fat, I would have a better chance of getting all I need. And I'd be able to afford medical care if/when something bad popped up.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

That's what I was thinking: If I'm fat, at least I can probably afford all the extra medical care I would need. Also, if I was to get skinny, I'd be able to afford gym memberships and personal trainers down the line.

To be skinny and poor: If you're really poor, you probably don't have much of a choice in it. Because lower priced, "convenience foods" are less expensive but nutritionally unsound, it seems like it'd be hard to break out of the cycle.

Notice the question doesn't say that you have to be fat and rich or skinny and poor forever.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #4  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Ouch. Tough decision. I think it would depend on HOW fat and HOW rich. If I could be my current size and a multi-multi-millionaire, that would be my choice. Then, I could set up a full gym in my mansion (along with my tennis courts, indoor and outdoor pools, lap-pool, whirlpool and sauna), hire a personal trainer to come over every day, hire a chef to prepare healthy, portion-controlled meals and someone to clean up after!

Of course, I'd still be responsible for atually doing the work, but it sure would be nice to have all that stuff.

Honestly, I don't see why Oprah and Kirstie Alley and all the rest of the celebrities who struggle with weight don't do that. Or, it is just not that easy?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

The reason celebs have weight issues is like you said: no matter what you have at your disposal, you still have to do the work. They can't hire someone to actually work out for them...they put thier pants on just like we do and have the same pitfalls...
Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #6  
Melting Butter

Fat and rich...that way I'd be able to get surgery like Star Jones...

Oops.

That was supposed to a secret, huh? Sorry Star!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #7  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

Neither. I would rather be a healthy weight with an average amount of money. But I guess I probably couldn't choose that one huh?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #8  
goy

well seeing that i am far from rich...... and have just lost 60lbs....... and lots more to go..... looks like i am looking at being skinny and poor..... hehe

but if in a snap of a finger i could be either......... it is a really tough one for sure.... depends on how poor.......... if we can still pay our bills...... and afford food.... maybe skinny and poor........ but if it is poor begging for food , nope...... not at all........ fat and rich it will be.

Last edited by goy; 05-03-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #9  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

Fat and rich, not going to lie...lol Being able to spend what I want means I wouldn't be fat much longer...I would pay someone to wire my jaw shut...and strap me to the treadmill....lol It would hurt...but i'd look really good in all the new designer clothes I could buy......sheesh that's shallow!! lol

Jeanette
Old 05-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #10  

I suppose it depends what you consider poor and what you consider fat. If we are talking the kind of poor that would mean I'd have to wonder where my next meal was coming from I'd say fat and rich. But if by poor they mean I'm paying my bills and feeding my children without a lot of luxuries I'd choose poor and thin.

This is one of those perception questions that I think your own life experiences impact. I notice most of us (who have obviously struggled with weight and probably aren't SUPER rich) still say being fat and rich is the better option. Not long ago I saw an interview with Niki and Paris Hilton and they were asked the same question. They both said they'd rather be thin and poor because of how hard life is for their friends who are overweight (and, by their standards I assume overweight friends are what we would consider average if not thin).
Old 05-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #11  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I would want to be fat and rich,,,and spend alot at fat farms...doing some councilling,,,like Wiona Judd.
I actually mentioned recently that if I won alot of money I would go to a health farm,,,do my detox from sugar and wheat in the privacy of my own padded room.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile

It depends...can be a tricky question...you know like...if you are to be rich you HAVE to stay fat for the rest of your life, or in order to be skinny, you will be poor the rest of your life. And like lucky said, how poor and how fat.? Also, how skinny? I wouldn't want to be too skinny either, maybe a size 10 or 12 would be fine with me. Money isn't everything and doesn't solve everything. It may be a quick fix, and I know it helps but it's not everything. So I would say I would rather be poor and skinny. You're only as happy as you make yourself.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/289/160

Default answer to your question

Well, I'm fat but poor, I'd rather be skinny and poor though...skinny and rich would be nice too, but we can't have it all now, can we?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #14  
with my mind on my monkey

My local news station posed a similar question this morning:

Would you rather lose your job or gain 75 pounds?

My current job certainly isn't making me rich, so I'd rather lose my job than gain 75 pounds. Plus, it'd be a lot easier to find new work than to lose the weight.

That said, if my option was fat and rich or poor and skinny - I'd choose the former. What good is being skinny if you can't afford the fun things in life?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #15  

i would rather be fat and rich and that way if i wanted to i could hire all the help i needed to cook healthy for me and train me to exercise to lose the weight.
Closed Thread