General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #1  
Movin on down the scale

Default Questions about people who notice the WL

I was wondering if I am one of the only ones this happens to.

We live in a smaller town and people will comment to my hubby about how much weight I have lost and "how is she doing it" and "she looks good, wow" but only a handful of people I know (mostly very good friends) have said anything to me. Is this normal? Why wouldnt the people who ask my hubby just say something to me?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #2  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

I asked my husband the same thing and he said that a lot of people these days are afraid of being politically incorrect and he personally is afraid to say anything to anyone about how they look!

Plus there are people who get offended when people notice they have lost weight, so I guess people don't know whether to mention it or not?

I'd like a few more comments myself!
Old 01-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #3  

Hello
Wow! I wish people commented on my weight loss that is when I lose weight but I don't like when people brag about my weight loss. Doesn't that get on your nerves... Alot of people may say you look sick or something when I was in my Junior year of High School I was loosing lots of weight and than gaining the weight back. But I stayed a size 7 for 2 years and than after I got out of High School I started to gain weight and you know the Lunch Lady at my School well of course you don't know but she said You look sick and i was like okay... But I had alot of teachers worried about me when I was missing alot of school because i basically didn't feel good but now that i"m out of High School I've not missed one day of school since i started my first year of College and I'm going to start back to taking my 1000 units of Vitamin C a day.

Well thats all I wanted to share
Old 01-19-2006, 05:47 PM   #4  
one leg press at a time

It may also be that the people you see on a regular basis actually don't notice the weight loss.
A friend of mine had lost 20-30 pounds and since I saw her 3 times a week, I never noticed it until she held up her old clothes where you could see the difference. I myself cannot see my own weight loss unless it is on film, so I tend to depend on others to notice it- and many do notice even when I do not notice it at all.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #5  

I would agree, firmgirl. Last year dh was slowly loosing weight but I had no idea. He just doesn't talk about those things. Maybe because I wasn't doing anything about my weight at the time and he didn't want me to think he was hinting or anything.

Anyway, one day I just noticed that his belly was smaller. I told him he looked really nice and trim. He smiled and said "Thanks. I've lost 20 pounds" With a big ol' grin

I had no clue he was even trying. He was doing things like cutting out the junk during the day and taking the stairs, etc.

For those that know...how much weight did it take before you started noticing in your clothes?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:25 AM   #6  
Movin on down the scale

In my clothes it took about 20lbs, but I didnt get my first comment (to me) until 30lbs were gone...and now with close to 45lbs gone, I get some here and there, and my hubby gets a lot of people asking him about me..lol
Old 01-20-2006, 10:32 AM   #7  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

I think what it is, is that people don't want to be rude and say "Wow, you look good, did you lose weight?" or "You look so nice now!" Someone is bound to take it the wrong way and think that they didn't look good before.

I probably would still say that someone looked good and ask if they've lost weight. I have a big mouth though!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #8  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

A lot of people where I work asked my secretary whether I was losing weight before they asked me. I guess they're just afraid of their comments coming across wrong, maybe I'm losing weight because I'm ill or bereaved or something (an extreme example, and possibly not the one they were concerned about, but a reason why you might not just jump in before you're sure that it's deliberate!)

I noticed that the first comments I got were always "those clothes are nice" or "I like your new haircut" rather than "have you lost weight". Then I did get "have you lost weight", and now I'm into "how have you lost weight" and "how much" territory - where there's absolutely no doubt about it but they just want the gory details!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #9  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

People make comments to my husband all the time (about my weight loss). I think it's just that weight is such a touchy subject, they don't want to offend. It's safer to comment to the spouse, secretary what have you.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:18 PM   #10  

Who the **** gets offended when someone notices that they have lost a few pounds.........good lord.

I usually get lots of compliments on my hair at first......usally because I look different but people can't quite figure out what it is........
Old 01-20-2006, 11:07 PM   #11  
Movin on down the scale

Liz, I know what you mean, I am HAPPY as pie if someone asks me if I have lost weight. And, no one sees me daily except for my kids/hubby since I am a SAHM. But I can understand the politically correctness of it, but once hubby tells them "yes she has been watching what she eats, and loosing weight" you would think they would comment to me the next time they see me...NOPE, they still dont...oh well at least they are NOTICING!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #12  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz321
Who the **** gets offended when someone notices that they have lost a few pounds.........good lord.

I usually get lots of compliments on my hair at first......usally because I look different but people can't quite figure out what it is........

It's easy to be offended if someone says it wrong.

Like if someone says "Have you lost weight - you used to be really fat!"

Usually I would say "You're looking well - have you lost a bit of weight." Which I hope implies that they only needed to lose a bit.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #13  

Women comment in completely different ways to men, I find. I've had a lot of women come up and ask me how much I have lost and how I am doing it.

Men tend to ask my other half, I think mainly so no one can accuse them of coming on to me!!! And also to check that the weight loss is a deliberate thing.

Hey the year before last these men were the same ones coming up to the man in question and asking him when I was due (um I wasn't pregnant!!!), and then when he said "she's not pregnant just fat" claimed it was because I was drinking coke rather than booze!!!! (don't worry, the other half was instructed to put it that way, by me! I was less sensitive about people calling me fat than people thinking I was pregnant!!!)
Old 01-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #14  

.....ya the "you used to be really fat" is sort of a no brainer, it would offend.

I think it is pretty safe to say that most people are flattered that people notice they have lost some weight and are looking better, happier, healthier etc.

Liz
Old 01-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default I think men would be more likely to ask your dh -m

I know the last time I had lost weight, I had women asking me all the time, but the one guy who did -at work- was real uncomfortable and stumbled around a bit before he could get it out that he just wanted to say how good I was looking. I'm sure if he had the chance he would have rather asked the dh! I used to walk in on people ALL the time in the break room or lunch room, and the room would go silent. Finally someone blurted to me, we were just talking about how much weight you've lost. I think you're right -that unless they are your close friend - they are likely not comfortable getting on that personal level with you to talk about YOUR personal weight, or the need to lose it! lol Congrats on your weightloss by the way. I'm looking forward to being talked about again, and hopefully it will start soon!
Closed Thread