3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   How old were you when you found your first gray hair? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/72722-how-old-were-you-when-you-found-your-first-gray-hair.html)

LovesBassets 01-13-2006 08:34 AM

How old were you when you found your first gray hair?

...because I'm only 33 and I found my first gray hair yesterday :mad: . And -- because I then KEPT LOOKING for more -- I also found my second, third, fourth, and FIFTH gray hairs. And then I ripped them out.

I am very bummed. Is this the beginning of the end of my blonde hair? Is it all just downhill from here? :(

How old were you ladies when you found your first gray? Is 33 "normal?"

BeatlesFan 01-13-2006 08:48 AM

I was seventeen when I found my first one. :o
Let's just say I'm 33 now and almost entirely gray. :(
I have black hair though and both of my Grandmothers were entirely gray by age 40.

kykaree 01-13-2006 08:53 AM

I was in my mid 20's when I first found one, I am 33 now, and find the odd one here and there, don't panic!

1dayatatime 01-13-2006 08:54 AM

Speaking from a professional standpoint - yes, it's normal. I'm reminded of a 22 year old male client that was completely white. It was actually very beautiful. He started going grey at 15 and went really quickly. He was one that likes the inch size gaping whole in his earlobe - couple of tattoos - so for him it was very cool.

To answer your question I found my first grey at 30. If they bother you too bad you can buy some relatively cheap rinses to use after each shampoo or you can color it. Or you can go grey gracefully. I know, easier said than done. :)

icmethinner 01-13-2006 09:08 AM

I was probably about the same age, and now I have quite a few - but I lighten my hair (it's naturally a mousy, dirty blonde color) and so I really have no idea how many are there - blissful ignorance I guess (I'm 38).

AmberM 01-13-2006 09:18 AM

33?? Good for you! I was 20 or 21 and my hubby was 13!!!! My whole family is gray. My hubby is 32 now and about 65% gray! I have quite a few but I color my hair so that helps. I'm only 29 and I have them all the time! I think finding your first one now is great!

Amber

2frustrated 01-13-2006 09:31 AM

I'm looking forward to getting my grey hairs - my Mum has a wicked white stripe at the front. Think Lily from the Munsters, like THAT! :cool:I think I'll dye my stripe pink or something... I hope I get a stripe! Knowing my luck it'll go all over! I want my stripe! :tantrum:

Kamily828 01-13-2006 09:50 AM

I was 18 and so were my brother and sister. Our family goes gray quickly.

I have a stripe on the top. Thank goodness for haircolor!!

upswife 01-13-2006 12:00 PM

DH was looking down at me over the summer and foound my first gray hair. I pulled it out!! BUt the other day I was looking and I found two more, so I guess it was for real. I am 26. If I remeber corectly DH got his first one at 25 or 26, but also started going bald.

cinnamonspice 01-13-2006 12:10 PM

I'm 30....er, I mean I celebrated my 2nd annual 29th birthday in November ;) and I have some gray, well, I would without some major help from Miss Clariol :)

zoritsa 01-13-2006 12:12 PM

I was 33 when my husband found my first grey hair.I didn't pull it though,and I don't mind the thought of seeing more and more.I do mind the texture of the hair though...so it's not the color that bothers me,I actually like the color.

marbleflys 01-13-2006 12:19 PM

I remember VIVIDLY! It was my 30th birthday, i was toweling off after a shower, saw a grey hair and it WASN'T ON MY HEAD!

Now I'm 49 and have about 15% greys in natural blonde, but use an ash-blonde color with lighter highlights so everything blends. The eyebrows get a color too!

RottenApple 01-13-2006 12:25 PM

I turned 30 last month and found my first gray hair a few days ago...I quit looking LOL

plb@m 01-13-2006 01:31 PM

My boyfriend found my first when I was 25 .I'm 32 and have alot more how .I did color my hair but how I've let it go it helps that my boyfriend is all gray so I don't feel to so bad.....lol might highlight this summer.

charliekay 01-13-2006 02:05 PM

hmm,i have no idea i have been coloring my hair since i was 14 so i have never really seen my natural color in many years.

FrouFrou 01-13-2006 02:30 PM

Downhill??? Too funny :lol: Sorry, but having grey hair is not the end of the world. And with the color of your hair it won't be so noticeable. I have dirty dishwater hair and I can't really recall the first grey hair but...between 39 & 40 I did notice some. Again, with my color of hair it wasn't so noticeable. My DD said she loves it and I have to agree. After all, it is because of them (the kids)! And I have earned every one of those. My brother though started greying at about 23 and by 30 he was totally grey but it didn't make him look old, made him look more handsome. I always said I would go totally grey and never color my hair when it started but it would take quite a while to go totally grey. So, yes I do color my hair about once every 6 months or so, but as close to my natural color and it's not so much to cover the grey but because at my age, my hair gets very dull.

veggie 01-13-2006 02:31 PM

Early twenties. I have fairly dark hair and occasionally people ask me if I dye it and I always say 'you think if I dyed it I'd leave the grey in'? Then they say 'what grey' and that makes me happy (even if they're fibbing). ;)

Ruthxxx 01-13-2006 02:39 PM

I started graying at 30 and was white by fifty. Check out my profile picture. I coloured for years but at 50 decided to let it grow out and did a really major frosting job. It worked fine, in fact some folks thought I'd gone platinum blonde.

srmb60 01-13-2006 02:45 PM

I don't remember. I have that fabulously camouflaging dirty blonde colour. I know I have grey in there but nobody else can tell.

jas80 01-13-2006 03:40 PM

i was around 22 or 23 when i found my first gray. rather, my husband found my first gray. seems they multiply each year.

RobinW 01-13-2006 03:42 PM

I dont know the exact age, but it do remember that it was after my dd was born, so it was after I turned 34. I have very very dark brown hair, and my grey comes in looking like tinsel. It literally sparkles, and says HEY, Im over here!! I also have a patch right at my bangs, kinda like a stripe, it got to a point I had to colour it. I told dh, I remember when men used to look at my boobs, now they look at my grey :( Its gone now tho...and a lovely colour to match the rest of it.

Nori71 01-13-2006 03:50 PM

30'ish or so--and then after I had my first baby 2 years ago I started noticing a few more. After my second baby last April, I swear that all the new post-baby growth is gray! I've foiled my hair for years and that works great still. Soon I guess I'll need all over color though. I'll be 35 this summer.

LovesBassets 01-13-2006 06:21 PM

Phew. Thanks ladies. Glad to see I'm (LOL) kinda right on schedule with this! :D I'm adopted, and I was tempted to e-mail my birthparents to ask when they went gray, but it seems like an odd question ;) .

I would LOVE it if it all went white (ah...SOMEDAY, not now). I love the way some blondes just go from blonde to white without the gray -- I think it's beautiful.

Sorry...babbling...:dizzy:

Thanks again!! It was just something of a shock, y'know?

happytx 01-13-2006 06:55 PM

I was 29, and then I found 2, all at once, its been terrible, and now Im obsessive. Im glad I color my hair because it actually looks like a really blonde high light, so not too bad, only its texture is so different. Im accepting it now, good hting because I turn 30 soon, and im sure its all down hill for the hair! :-)

FL_Chickie 01-13-2006 07:45 PM

I've had a small patch of grey hair in the back of my head since my mid-20's. Oddly enough, it's not really noticeable because it just blends in with the rest of my hair, which I dye anyway. I've noticed the occasional grey hair popping up in other places (usually around where my hair parts) for the past couple of years, and I'm 33 as well.
You're lucky in being blonde though -- the greys don't tend to show as much as they do on darker-haired people, where the contrast is greater. :)

JuliaTN 01-13-2006 08:16 PM

I can't remember when I found the first one but it was before age 27 - that was the summer that I went back to college to finish up and some little twink sitting behind me actually pulled a gray hair out of my head as a "favor" --the same gray hair that I was trying to grow out so it would stop sticking straight up out of the top of my head.:?:
Quote:

I would LOVE it if it all went white (ah...SOMEDAY, not now). I love the way some blondes just go from blonde to white without the gray -- I think it's beautiful.
I wouldn't mind that either - my saint of a grandmother had waist length snow white hair.

DeeJae37 01-13-2006 08:20 PM

doing good

33? your doing good then, I was like 22 when I saw my first one and now my bangs are almost completely white....well at least under my hair color LOL... but I think 33 is definately a normal age to begin seeing the white stuff...In my family I think it was all due to heredity....both of my parents were gray at an early age....

shaley 01-13-2006 09:42 PM

i WISH i was 33 when i found my first 5 gray hairs! i was about 16!!! and i'm still finding them. and to this day, my older sisters still yank them out and laugh at me.

thank goodness for wal mart and the hair dye aisle! LOL!

kindly,
susan

chick_in_the_hat 01-14-2006 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veggie
Early twenties. I have fairly dark hair and occasionally people ask me if I dye it and I always say 'you think if I dyed it I'd leave the grey in'? Then they say 'what grey' and that makes me happy (even if they're fibbing). ;)

:lol3:
I try the opposite - I tell people its highlight just to watch the look on their face. I got my first grey hairs in high school...it started off as a stripe at my temple...it is now pretty much an epidemic up there.

Schatzi 01-14-2006 07:45 AM

I was 30 and it Freaked me out! Now it's coming hot n heavy.. I have a Lily Munster streak that I use to be "fond" of since it reminded me of my Mom.. but I got over that sentiment and now I dye it a fairly dark brown..my normal color!

liz321 01-14-2006 04:31 PM

I was 25.......I was always a mousey brown.....just started with blonde steaks........has not been a huge issue........

Liz

artsy 01-14-2006 10:53 PM

I am 27 and I recently found some grey hair. I would like to blame it on stress....not that I'm getting old :) very very very depressing.....

ApplBride 01-17-2006 01:58 PM

You aren't alone....I am 28.
Grey hairs baby!
-CK

wildlifebio 01-17-2006 02:07 PM

I was 24 when I found my first. Now I am 26 and I think if I didn't dye my hair I would be about 1/4 gray! My sister is 28 and would probably be 100% gray if she didn't color her hair.

almostheaven 01-18-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesBassets
And then I ripped them out.

I keep telling hubby when he does that that for every one he pulls out, two grow back. :D

Smilla 01-18-2006 05:12 PM

When I was a kid I used to get grey hairs all the time. Looking back I'm sure those were from poor nutrition and stress.

I had a grey hair last year, when I was 26. I pulled it out and haven't had any since.

My mother was totally grey by 25, but she smoked and thought a can of diet soda was a healthy meal. :rolleyes: My dad is in his fifties and is just starting to go grey at the temples. I think I'm safe.

When I do go grey I will dye my hair. I heard that henna looks really nice when used with partially grey hair, the greys pick up the henna in a different way than the non-greys and sparkle.

soon2Bfab 01-18-2006 05:16 PM

I was 22!! Now that I'm a blonde, it's not as noticeable!

Cyl53 01-21-2006 05:13 PM

:( Every woman in my family has started seeing gray before they were 25. My Mother's side of the family have all done that. I started seeing gray before I was 25. I began coloring my hair since then unfortunately though I had cancer and went through chemotherapy. When my hair came back in, it was silver/gray/and white. I've given up and I'm learning to live with my hair color.

Cyl53

flipafart 01-23-2006 08:07 PM

It was on my 30th birthday

CynthiaB 01-24-2006 09:07 AM

I was in 8th grade. I'm now 36 and mostly grey; I've been so for about 3 years now. Well, maybe not "mostly" grey, more like salt and pepper with a heavy emphasis on the salt! I used to color it on and off, but it's such a pain and an unneccesary expense. I get compliments all the time on the color, and I'm not upset at all about it. My Mom and all my brothers also greyed early.

Cindy B.