General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #1  

Question Can anyone explain candied yams to me?

I've always wondered when I read recipes for candied yams or sweet potato casserole etc exactly who decided sweet potatoes weren't sweet enough. Just plain boiled or baked (especially baked) they are so wonderfully sweet and delicious. And low in calories or points, and maybe even core (?).

I also wonder about green bean casseroles, which I am sure were invented by someone who hated veg so much it was necessary to make them unrecognizable.

And glazed buttered carrots? What is that all about?

I suspect a worldwide conspiracy to make us all get fat just by following family traditions... It's time to fight back, to openly admit we LOVE our veggies as they come, with maybe just a squeeze of lemon. A "no-goop-added" revolution! Let's all JUST SAY NO!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I never understood the candied yam thing either. I do know turnips can do with some sweetness but....

As to the green bean casserole, I think it was a conspiracy to use up a surfeit of mushroom soup and canned onion rings!

However, I'm Canadian so what do I know?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #3  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla49
...It's time to fight back, to openly admit we LOVE our veggies as they come, with maybe just a squeeze of lemon. A "no-goop-added" revolution! Let's all JUST SAY NO!

LOL Now you've got that old edu commercial from the 80's going through my head.

"I'm Louis the lifeguard and I'm happy to say, I rescued a drowning potato today! They drowned it in sourcream, oh what a shame! Cause food's so much better when it's practically plain! Don't drown your food In mayo or ketchup or goo (yuck!) It's no fun to eat what you can't even SEE! So don't drown your food!"

There, now it can get stuck in other people's heads,
Old 11-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tani
There, now it can get stuck in other people's heads,
Hey, thanks!
Old 11-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

All I need is another blasted ear worm!
Old 11-24-2005, 12:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/167/135

Height: 5'1

Oh - I guess it must be a southern thing. I don't like candied yams but we always have sweet pot. casserole on Thanksgiving. I never had it until I married my DH and my MIL first cooked it!!! It is quite yummy! This year we are having it but it is going to be more "natural", so to speak.

carafre
Old 11-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

I prefer mashed sweet potatoes ANY day over candied yams, especially those canned yams...yuk!!!

Nothin' like my mom's sweet potato casserole...(yes she puts marshmallows on top but my nieces and nephews usually grab those off the top before we get there).
Old 11-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #8  
Refreshed

I absolutely love candied yams!
Closed Thread