General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #1  
Haley

Default I'm going to Mexico!!! Any tips??

I'm leaving for Mexico Friday night to visit my family who's already vacationing there. I'll be flying in to Cancun and we'll be staying in Playa Del Carmen. I've never been out of the US before and am just wondering if you have any tips on how to stay safe, keep my money safe or any other good travel tips. Thank you!!

I'm soooo excited!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #2  

I have stayed at an all-inclusive resort in this area...it is relatively safe, just stay with your group and don't wander too far from the resort, there is alot of jungle around this area. Their will be alot of locals trying to push their wares on you and alot of people trying to sell you vacation places also-just walk right past them. The place we went to had great restaurants, swim up bars, great beaches and beautiful sunsets. The people who work at the resorts are very accommodating-but they do not want Americans to over tip-one dollar per duty is the norm-if you give them a five they feel like we are showing off-they make approx. one dollar per day! We could not drink the water but they did provide alot of bottled water-even to brush your teeth with, no pepsi-just Coke. You'll have a great time and let me know how it goes for you. Oh ya-the lines at the airport were terrible so plan for a long wait...BYE!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #3  

I WANNA GO! Playa del Carmen is my favorite place in the world. DH and I plan to go back one day!

Ditto on the marketers. People can get kinda pushy sometimes and there are a lot of skeemers. Stick to your guns and don't be afraid to say no. Especially, to the tricksters at the airports.

Definately DO NOT drink the water. Even though most resorts have filtration systems, don't trust them. Be careful of icey drinks off the resort. And, be careful of fruits and veggies that have been washed and not cooked. Better paranoid that calling the hotel doc (who visited my mother once with his tackle box of medical equipment!).

Have fun and attempt Spanish around the hotel, even if you think you sound like a goof. Most people will appreciate it.

If shopping in a flea market type setting, do not pay the asking price. You can always get it significantly lower. Check taxi prices at the hotel. Some drivers will try to up the price on you. If you make it clear that you traveled from x to z for $5, they will take you back to x for that price too.

When I was at Playa, I felt absolutely safe. Just use the ususal common sense safety measures. Don't flash your money or keep it all in the same place. I divy mine between pockets and leave some in the hotel safe. For the most part, they want to treat their vacationers well so they keep coming back.

Have fun!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

Yes, yes, stay away from the icy drinks at the outside bars, I got ill the last night i was in Cancun. We didn't bother with taxis as the bus was so available and cost about 50 cents. Be prepared for VERY hot weather. be careful what you eat at the outdoor buffets as food spoilage can cause you some gastric misery.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #5  
Haley

Thank you everyone for your great, very very helpful comments!

marbleflys: icy drinks? like margaritas and things?? i'm planning on drinking while i'm there.

and i'm a vegetarian so i dont really have to worry about spoilage unless theres milk or cheese on it, as far as i know

thanks again all!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #6  

I drank plenty of icy drinks...they are plentiful there and ohhh soooo good, I didn't get sick, the bar had ice from a bag so I was assured that it was manufactured with purified water. Be careful of the sun, you can burn very quickly there...also some of the shops will try to sell you marijuana-at least they did to us-We went in to a shop that had bongs, pipes, etc...and the man tried to get us to come in the back because he said he had "good stuff to go in them" but we were with another couple (who are both police officers) and they felt like it was a set up they plan for Americans. I am going again in October and I can't wait!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #7  
Bye bye baby weight!!

S/C/G: 242/233/150

Height: 5'5"

I went two years ago to Playa Del Carmen and it was THE BEST VACATION EVER!! I can pretty much ditto everything everyone has already said but also be sure to get some package deals at your hotel to go visit some of the sites. They can arrange all of the transportation and tickets. My favorite places were Chichen Itza (pronounced cheechen eatsa ) and Xel Ha (pronounced Shell Ha)! Chichen Itza has amazing pyramids and other ruins and Xel Ha is a natural inlet off of the ocean where you can snorkel and scuba. As far as merchants go, I agree, just ignore them because they can be pushy. And I drank probably hundreds of mixed drinks and never got sick (except when I drank too much ), so I wouldn't worry too much about that one. You can also get sun sickness there because of the intensity of the sun and if you mix that with alcohol you'll be puking for sure. The best way to beat the sun is to spend some of your time under an umbrella I'm sure you will have an AWESOME time!! I am going back in October also and I can't wait!!
Old 07-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #8  
Addicted to potato salad!

BY ALL MEANS...DON'T EAT THE GOAT TACOS SOLD BY THE VENDORS ON THE STREETS!!

For that matter, only eat the food served at the hotel. My dad worked in Guadalajara for a year in 1985 and the people my dad worked for told him that unless my mom cooked it at home, they should only eat at the Hyatt or the major hotel chains. We got some goat tacos at a party one night, though, and I have never, EVER been more sick!!

Also, unless you can speak Spanish fluently, never talk to the locals in Spanish. They'll think you speak it fluently and will rattle off at lightning speed!! If you just speak English from the get go, they'll either try speaking in the amount of English they know, or will speak Spanish very slow and will try to communicate as best they can.

And, I was always polite to the peddlers on the street, but the peddlers see this as weakness and will take that opportunity to not leave you alone. If you just say "NO" sharply and firmly, but not rudely, they'll get the point and bug someone else. BUT, then there's the little kid peddlers, who I was a total sap for...I'd empty my pockets and give them almost everything I could. Which probably wasn't the smartest thing, but I have a serious soft spot for kids...

Hasta Luego!!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:38 AM   #9  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

i have never been to cancun but have been to tijuana and rosarito many times, on many a crazy night between 18-21. if you plan on going out on the town, stay with other people. i found it useful to be with other girls in a group, and preferably with a spanish speaker. the only time i ever was in a dicey situation was when i was with a really drunk out of control girl. some bouncer tried to take her pants off! also, if you are drinking, watch your drink! two friends of mine had someone lace their drinks with something at a club while they were dancing. and if you want to wear cute outfits, be prepared for some outrageous comments. i wore a little tshirt that says "the best girls are from orange county" once, and at least ten guys walked past and hooted and hollered "orange county!!!" at me. it was so annoying. i was longing for the hoodie i had left in my car across the border. also, if you give money to one little kid, none of them, or merchants, will ever leave you alone again. i also made the mistake of walking around with my purse unzipped once. the missing wallet was later found at home, but at the time i was kicking myself for being so dumb. food and mixed drinks in mexico have never made me sick, but if you have a sensitive stomach, you might want to stick to hotel food and bottled drinks. i don't know about vegetarian food in mexico. that would be another thing good about eating at the hotel.
have fun!!
Old 07-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #10  

We stayed in an all inclusive in Cancun....no problems at all.........nobody minded getting more than an american dollar for a tip.

Was a great holiday.......next time we leave the kids at home!

Liz
Old 07-29-2005, 12:35 AM   #11  

Pay for as much as you can in American $'s because of the exchange rate. They will appreciate it. I've never been to Mexico (yet), but my brother has been a few times. Definitely drink bottled water and I know you are vegetarian, but warn family who may not be to be careful of the fish- even in the large hotels.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Generally drink the bottled water to be safe. Although most of the resorts have their own purification system and so it is OK there for ice in your drinks. Just ask the resort to make sure. Outside the resort is where you need to be careful about ice in your drink (Usually I solve this problem by sticking with beer).

Also, on your way home watch out for the ice on the plane. Most people forget about it by that point. Just ask where their ice comes from.

My husband was once told and swear's by this when traveling (and never gets sick) that having a yougurt everyday will help fight off the bacteria that makes you sick. Something about the bacteria in the yougurt counteracts with whats in the water.

Don't forget sunscreen the sun is Intense down there! And drink losts of water even if you are in the pools and don't notice it you are getting dehydrated. Especially if you are drinking alcohol. (Although most of their drinks are watered down anyway)
Old 07-29-2005, 11:12 AM   #13  
Haley

Thanks everyone, not sure if you saw the other post I made but my trip was cancelled because of Hurricane Emily.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #14  

awww- that's no good!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

My mom is leaving for Mexico tomorrow, and I gave her all of the tips posted here Thanks!!

~liz
Closed Thread