General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 09:26 AM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Teeth-Whitening Products

Has anyone had good luck with these products? I've got a new hairdo, contact lenses now, and want some whiter teeth to go with the improved me <--- as white as those teeth --->

I've tried the "paint-on at nighttime" type, and yeck!!! I start producing like 10 times as much saliva as I would normally, and that taste and foaminess, yeck again.

I guess the Crest Whitestrips, with the "visibly whiter teeth in 7 days" is attracting me.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:22 PM   #2  

The Crest Strips work, but they make your teeth sensitive to cold.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:10 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I used the "Professional" Crest WhiteStrips this year - bought them from my dentist. They're a bit more expensive than the storebought, but supposed to be better! I'm VERY pleased with the results.

Besides, it's WAY cheaper than having a dentist do it...
Old 11-26-2004, 04:13 PM   #4  
Raindancer1

White teeth do make a girl feel prettier, and people do notice. I was born with good genes, and therefore have a great smile...strong white teeth. However, being a former smoker and coffee drinker, I wanted to improve the look. Basically, I use Arm and Hammer Peroxide Whitening toothpaste for maintenance, brush 2X or more per day and floss. My husband, who drinks as much coffee as I do, and could be a poster child for "How to Brush and Floss" is not so lucky. His teeth are beautifully straight, but not all too white. The A & H has made a difference for him, though. I have used the white strips from Crest and they apparently worked because I got noticed a few times (my smile, that is). They did not affect my sensitivity to anything, but they are a little yucky to taste for 30 minutes at a time. I asked my dentist to whiten my teeth professionally, but he refused, saying the teeth are fine, and anything else would give me an artificial "Bathtub white" look. He also said that coffee and food and tea do not really stain teeth per se. HHmmm? Maybe it is internal, general health, or aging.

The bottom line is that there is no substitute for healthy living, and attention to oral hygiene. Which means not only twice a year pro cleaning from the dentist, but daily routine that includes the best toothpaste for you particular needs (in my case, industrial strength nuclear neon paste is fine) depending on sensitivity, etc. and flossing. Do that twice a day, more if you do drink coffee, tea or smoke. Another thing is to use chlorophyll laden foods (parsley and other dark green herbs) to keep tongue and breath fresh and healthy. Finally, there are tricks of the female trade: use lipsticks with only red and blue undertones (like plum, bright red, fuschia,) no yellows, golds, oranges, or beiges. The latter cast a yellowing pall on the teeth, exactly what you do not want. I do not like red lipsticks generally, but I use lighter shades with a bluish base, and I always see the difference immediately. Good luck and happy smiling!
Old 11-26-2004, 06:29 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I heard those whitening products will strip your teeth and do more damage in the long run. I've tried the crest ones and not only did my gums hurt but my teeth did too. Not worth it to me.

What I've been doing is peroxide and listerine with a once a week light brushing using pure baking soda and it makes a big difference
Old 11-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I had the laser whitening done and love it!! I don't notice any sensitivity to my teeth either. The Downside is that it is $500 a pop but it lasts years!!! It's called zoom if you want to look into it. I tried those tray whiteners and I can't use them they made me ill gagging because I have a child size mouth my dentist even gave me some trays that he trimmed down but still very uncomfortable, and the strips I think had a funky taste to them if I recall. I never did try the paint on stuff though Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #7  
Biker Chick!

I will resurrect this thread 'cause I've completed the 7-day Crest Whitestrips plan, and am very pleased. I had a coupon that, combined with the store sale price, brought it down to $21.00 as opposed to $34.00.

I was prepared to deal with the sensitivity issue, but it didn't occur.

I found the strips fine to deal with for a half-hour at a time.

Teeth do look better! I'm happy. I'm also using a tanning/bronzing lotion, which also gives a nice contrast.

Thanks for everyone who answered. I'm curious, about the "blue-ish" undertone of lipstick color...I'm not sure I understand that? But I do understand how an orangy-lipstick wouldn't be flattering.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Vermontmom- thanks for the update - I was thinking about trying these but not sure if I wanted to spend the $.

Love your ani difranco quoute too!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:22 AM   #9  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvaisroux
Vermontmom- thanks for the update - I was thinking about trying these but not sure if I wanted to spend the $.

Love your ani difranco quoute too!
thanks!

yes, having the coupon combined with the store's sale price was the deciding factor!

You know, as much as I might be self-conscious about other parts of me, I didn't think there was much wrong with my teeth - until I found my husband "touching up" a digital photo of me smiling, whitening up my chompers and a younger girl I know was describing a woman whom she said looked like me, and was attractive, "but her teeth were whiter". Bam! I can take a hint
Closed Thread