General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 09:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/168/115

Height: 5'3

Red face I need some help in deciding

Im moving out soon, for the first time. This means i have absolutely no kitchen equipment.. I was wondering if you ladies and gentlemen would tell me what items in your kitchen you couldn't possiblely live without. Or just some items you think would be good for a person living on her own for the first time.

Oh sorry, i do have a few kitchen items.

1. about 6 tea cups/saucers
2. 3 tea pots
3. small tea kettle
4. 10 sets of chop sticks
5. 3 large noodle bowls
6. 2 rice bowls
7. 2 mugs
8. rectangle sushi plate
9. blender
10. 2 sake sets with cups

Ok, so i had more than i thought.

Thanks-
Mandy
Old 12-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say:

plates
spoons, forks, knives
pots/pans/lids
measuring spoons and cups
stirring spoons (including a slotted one)
pancake flipper/turner (for hamburgers, too)
electric mixer
microwave oven
crock pot
potholders
baking pans/dishes
pizza pan
paring knife
butcher knife
scissors
timer
strainer
storage containers
grater
can opener
coffee pot (unless you only like tea)
toaster
dishtowels and cloths
dish soap
sos pads

Plus, salt and pepper, other spices, paper products etc. Hope this helps!
Old 12-19-2004, 10:37 PM   #3  
Go, Banana!

hmmm kitchen equipment.... when i moved out i bought a silverware set, a kitchen set (with a spatula, spoons blah blah) and dishes and pots n pans. i realized today as i walked target looking for the perfect garlic press... that was one thing i couldnt live without. i use too much garlic when i cook... cant help it, im part silician. anyway sounds like jane has the list.... id go with what she suggested! lol \
good luck on your move

peace irina
Old 12-20-2004, 03:49 AM   #4  
i luv my dog!

Hi and congrats on getting your first apartment. The recommendations so far sound good. I would add two things: cutting board(s) and mixing bowls.

You don't have to spend a fortune to outfit your kitchen and you don't have to get it all at once. Look in thrift stores and yard sales. You can always find lots of kitchen supplies.

Here are a couple of articles on the subject. You can decide which items will fit your lifestyle and go from there.

http://apartments.about.com/cs/first...hen+essentials
http://www.gourmetspot.com/essentialsfeature.htm

If you will be getting help ($$) from anyone I would suggest a good, quality knife set with sharpening stone. This is one item where quality counts.

GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by a broad abroad; 12-20-2004 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:26 AM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Go to the dollar store, you can get lots of utensils, cutlery and dishes for next to nothing. When you go to buy pots and pan buy the very best you can afford and take good care of them. I have often bought really cheap pans and they last only a few months but my mom got me a really good set for Xmas one year and they have lasted several years now. Don't buy more than what you have space for otherwise you'll have stuff in boxes that you never use. I remember helping my SIL unpack from a move once and you wouldn't believe how many mugs and glasses she had. Probably about 40 altogether not including the cups that came with the 3 sets of dishware that she had. What a waste of space. I could understand if she had major parties and needed all that but she doesn't! Also I don't know if you really need a crock pot right now. I bought one for my mom and she never used it because they make pretty big meals (unless you get a really small one or like to freeze and have leftovers). She ended up giving it back to me and I use it about 3 times a month. A microwave is a good thing to have but don't buy one that is bigger than what you really need. We had this really small one for years and it was the perfect size for what I used it for. Then it went caput and my husband bought this humongous one that is too big for the space I had the other one in and so has to go on a cart in an awkward place. So anyways keep in mind the space that you have and what you are going to be using your stuff for.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:02 PM   #6  
Mel

I could probably live (appliance-wise) with just a blender, microwave, stove, and stick-free skillet. The blender is crucial since I live on eggwhite-oatmeal pancake variations and soups.

Mel
Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 168/168/115

Height: 5'3

Thanks all of you. This has really helped
Old 12-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #8  

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryxdoom
Im moving out soon, for the first time. This means i have absolutely no kitchen equipment.. I was wondering if you ladies and gentlemen would tell me what items in your kitchen you couldn't possiblely live without. Or just some items you think would be good for a person living on her own for the first time.

Oh sorry, i do have a few kitchen items.

1. about 6 tea cups/saucers
2. 3 tea pots
3. small tea kettle
4. 10 sets of chop sticks
5. 3 large noodle bowls
6. 2 rice bowls
7. 2 mugs
8. rectangle sushi plate
9. blender
10. 2 sake sets with cups

Ok, so i had more than i thought.

Thanks-
Mandy
Mandy, I like to cook and bake, but don't get into gadgets. I do most everything by hand. I noticed my mother has many new gadgets (small appliances), which basically collect dust.

For me, basics are all that is needed like:

- a strainer (collander)
- potato masher (you'll need it for more than potatoes)
- two spatulas (non-stick and large flat metal one)
- large skillet
- small skillet
- soup pot (cast iron)
- smaller pans (for sauces, gravies and such)
- service for 8 utensils
- service for 8 dishes
- glasses in various sizes (they usually come in box this way)
- knives (steak, peeling, and large Chef's knife)
- mixer
- coffee maker
- oven mitts
- salt/pepper shaker
- butter dish
- microwave
- dish rack
- rubber spatula
- assorted wooden spoons
- assorted wraps (plastic, wax, aluminum)

Well, that's off the top of my head. Good luck!
Closed Thread