General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #1  
Bread is my Enemy.

Exclamation Wendy's

I Know you guys heard about the human finger being found in a Bowl of wendy's chilli in california... if not http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ys_finger_dc_1

Oh My Gosh, this has turned me off from fast food period. I'm just upset that it took a finger to do it!

Last edited by BrOOklyN ChIcK; 03-25-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:23 AM   #2  
Curvy Vixen

omg i didn't hear that!! gross... and I love their chili... yikes..
Old 03-25-2005, 01:40 PM   #3  

I'm always amazed that people take an isolated incident as an indictment against an entire industry or category. They don't even know how it got there, no one who touched that food or its ingredients has been found to be missing a finger! It could very well turn out to be a hoax or a prank. There's nothing about this that is unique to Wendy's, or fast food. It could happen any time at any restaurant or in any food you didn't kill and cook yourself. Not to say it's a pleasant idea or desirable, but ya know, accidents happen, and if you trust other people to harvest and prepare your food, it's part of the risk you take, even in the best, most closely-monitored system that could be devised.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #4  
Bread is my Enemy.

It ain't a hoax or a prank, the finger has been tested and the owner is being saught. This is national news, they said the woman couldn't have caught any diseases because the finger had been cooked first. This is not isolated, I've heard plenty things before and whether it be true or false, this event is something to be paid attention too, I wish I could have that "accidents happen" attitude. But thats not me...not when it comes to human body parts inside of the food that I pay for.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #5  

Look, I grew up in a family that owned a restraunt so I know "accidents" happen. I agree that this is an isolated incident in that we aren't going to start finding human fingers in our food every place we go.

BUT - I think the point most people are making is that eating out is as much about the experience as anything else. Personally, I couldn't order Wendy's chili without this "isolated incident" coming to mind and THAT is what is a turn off. Not because I think it will happen again but that it happened ONCE. It conjures up a gross enough image that my appetite for that product is pretty much ruined.

Eating isn't just physically stimulating. It is a mental and visual experience as well. Given that fact, I don't think it is unreasonable for people to make an indictment against an entire industry or category under such circumstances. Most will only hold their view temporarily but, in the meantime, the imagery can be quite compelling when making dining choices.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #6  

I don't really see how someone in the food service industry could lose a finger, and then just carry on and hope that no one notices. No one, according to Wendy's (who is cooperating with the police) involved with the making of the chili has reported losing a finger. So maybe it wasn't accidental? Maybe the customer put it in hoping to get a fat settlement? Maybe a disgruntled teen aged fry cook who moonlights at the local mortuary slipped it in to give his or her employer a black eye?

I dunno. But I think that this is a very isolated case. You don't want to eat Wendy's? Good for you. Fast food generally is high in calories and fat. I myself have almost complete given it up. But doing it because you think that Wendy's might serve you up a cup of finger? Because you think that they are somehow ok with that? Silly, simply silly.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #7  
Bread is my Enemy.

wow obviously its isolated I never debated that. Me personally who struggles with junk food this gave me a reason to chill, personally. This is more than your average accident. When I was 11, fish accidentally was mixed in with the food I ate, so I accidentally had a horrible allergic reaction. Although isolated, Its just pretty terrible what happened.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #8  

Oh, no denying that it's pretty horrible. I sure wouldn't want to be the person that found it. If it's turned you off of fast food, well, good enough. I still think that major mishasps can happen with any venue of food preparation, even home cooking. Sure, you know what's happened to the stuff you prepared, but how do you know that someone else, even someone you love, might not have absent mindedly cut some veggies for a salad on the same cutting board they hacked up a chicken a few minutes before?

Eating is risky.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:16 PM   #9  
BirdBrain

If you REALLY want a reason to not eat fast food, check out the book "Fast Food Nation." I was revolted and I'm not even liberal.

Kelly
Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 PM   #10  
missaprylj

Ixnay on the iberalay, please. :soapbox:

This is scary... thank God I don't even have to deal with it because the nearest Wendy's is HOURS away. Hey, Jawsmom! Now I'm all freaked out to eat anywhere! That's probably for the better, huh?

Old 04-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #11  
prepare for the BEST time

Hmmmm, this wasn't picked up by CNN or I missed it on the website?

I gave up fast-food at the beginning of the year...except for an occaisonal Quiznos where you watch them make the sandwich...
Old 04-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I used to work at Wendy's & made chili several times. You open cans of tomatoes & cans of beans & cans of tomato sauce. I am betting THAT is where the finger came from, not the Wendy's itself.

This sounds like the girl who was allergic to mayo biting into the chicken sandwich, getting a mouthful of white goo & *GASP* it was a tumor in the chicken's breast!

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chili.asp
Old 04-07-2005, 03:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

yuck chicken tumors....that is grosser than gross!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #14  
Bread is my Enemy.

man how did we get to chicken tumors? whew. That is terrifying.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

The Wendy's Chili Finger incident is a local story for me - it happened at a Wendy's in San Jose, in the Bay Area.

Even though it's an isolated incident, I haven't been able to eat chili since the story broke...

And I have to wonder WHY the local TV news stations have INSISTED on showing a color photo of the finger fragments next to a ruler? EEEEwwwww...NOT during the dinner hour puhleeze...
Closed Thread