General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #1  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Default Rude, Rude, Rude! People at the gym-a New Years Rant

We've all been there-you're new at the gym. It's so awesome that you're there. Nobody is judging you. Everyone is working on their own stuff. But let me tell you something-since the New Years rush has begun (and it happens every year, and I DO NOT have a problem with more people at the gym), some new people are just downright rude! I LOVE my gym and I have never had an issue until this past week. Two nights in a row, I've encountered both men and women ignoring lines for equipment (there are lines now because the gym is busy this time of year), not wiping down equipment (hello?! Taint sweat!!!! Eww!), leaving santitizing wipes/towels/water bottles ON the equipment like someone is going to come by and clean up after them (and I did, because I wanted to use that machine) and just a general sense of "us vs. them".

Again, I have never, ever EVER felt judged at my gym, now or at my highest, most out of shape weight, when I couldn't do the elliptical for more than 4 minutes without jumping off and feeling like I was going to DIE, until this week. People have been encouraging and smiling and nice and wiping stuff down and now it's just.....yuck-o. And that really, really bums me out. I can't wait until June, when the herd thins.

/end rant

Happy New Year. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #2  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Ah, my son was just venting about a very similar issue yesterday. I reminded him that, were it not for those New Year's resolvers who sweat for a few weeks until it hurts then give up, his gym membership fees would probably be doubled or triple what they are. The gyms count on it, in fact.

Trust me, the vast majority of them will be gone within a month. The ones that remain will probably have acquired the habit and may go on to become good gym citizens.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

I'm not a fan of the sudden overcrowding either. I left Planet Fitness last year and joined the local park district. I did notice a sudden jump in the number people there recently but nothing like the circus PF turned into.

I see regulars there that don't wipe down so I always wipe before and after I touch anything. I don't have time for the flu.

It will die down after February.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNew Me View Post
Ah, my son was just venting about a very similar issue yesterday. I reminded him that, were it not for those New Year's resolvers who sweat for a few weeks until it hurts then give up, his gym membership fees would probably be doubled or triple what they are. The gyms count on it, in fact.

Trust me, the vast majority of them will be gone within a month. The ones that remain will probably have acquired the habit and may go on to become good gym citizens.
Good point that I've never considered!! I'll have to remember that as I grumble about the extra people at my nice quiet gym this month lol
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #5  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Like I said, I can't wait until the herd thins.......

I remember last June, when there was NOBODY THERE! Ah, sweet silence.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

This is just one of the reasons I am so glad I have my own fitness equipment at home. No waiting, no one waiting for you, no one else's sweat, or garbage, I get to choose what's on TV or the radio, I don't have to worry about how I look, and in the time it would take me to travel back and forth to the gym, I am halfway finished with my workout. I realize that not everyone has room for big exercise equipment. It's one of the perks of empty nest!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Is there anyone at the gym you can talk to about this? Staff should be enforcing rules, especially wiping down. I hate line jumpers so much! Is it possible they are actually unaware there's a line? Certainly speak up if someone cuts!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #8  
In It to Win It!

S/C/G: 263/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

I am so grateful my gym has sanitizing wipes. Luckily I'm able to get to the gym before the mad rush, but goodness as I was leaving today at like 6:30 it was getting soon busy.

Another thing.... people get on a weight machine and then just sit there on their phones. I'm like, uhhhhh....... I'd like to use that? Or when people bring their kid who is too old for daycare and they're like 11 and they just sit on equipment.
banditbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditbear View Post
Another thing.... people get on a weight machine and then just sit there on their phones. I'm like, uhhhhh....... I'd like to use that? Or when people bring their kid who is too old for daycare and they're like 11 and they just sit on equipment.
That's the worst! I don't even like it when people talk on their phones while using equipment, but I guess I don't have the right to complain about that. It just never seems like they're paying attention to actually exercising when they're chatting away (sort of like using a phone while driving).

Kids on equipment is a big no-no! I can't believe the gym would allow it due to liability issues.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Your herd doesn't thin out until JUNE? Ours dies down in Feb, at the latest.

I do my best to try to let it go. It's a lot of aggravation that I really don't need. It's temporary. If there is something that is dangerous or hurts my workout, I point it out to management or fix it. Otherwise, I take a deep breath and let it go. Life's too short!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #11  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokehead98 View Post
Two nights in a row, I've encountered both men and women ignoring lines for equipment (there are lines now because the gym is busy this time of year), not wiping down equipment (hello?! Taint sweat!!!! Eww!), leaving santitizing wipes/towels/water bottles ON the equipment like someone is going to come by and clean up after them (and I did, because I wanted to use that machine) and just a general sense of "us vs. them".
Just to play devil's advocate, if this is someone's first time ever going to a public gym, chances are they just don't know any better.

I can remember my first time at a gym. I was so nervous. So convinced everyone was watching me. There aren't big signs telling you where to stand in line, where to get wipes, etc. People learn from trial and error.

I know I've been places and not realized there is a line and had someone correct me. I know I've had really long days at work and just been pretty oblivious to my surroundings, but still try to get things done.

Yes, there are rude people, but I really would like to think they're probably just new, nervous and don't know any better.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchFattitude View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, if this is someone's first time ever going to a public gym, chances are they just don't know any better.

I can remember my first time at a gym. I was so nervous. So convinced everyone was watching me. There aren't big signs telling you where to stand in line, where to get wipes, etc. People learn from trial and error.

I know I've been places and not realized there is a line and had someone correct me. I know I've had really long days at work and just been pretty oblivious to my surroundings, but still try to get things done.

Yes, there are rude people, but I really would like to think they're probably just new, nervous and don't know any better.
I was thinking this as well. I'm glad someone else said it. I'm sure there are rude people there, but if they are rude, then they will probably continue to be rude whether they are new or not. I would think the majority are just new and have no clue about some of the rules of the gym. What a gym should really do is when someone signs up for a membership, give them a quick little info speech. I think most places do a tour. It would be nice of during this time they did a quick but clear review of rules and etiquette.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 01-11-2015 at 07:50 AM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #13  
Warrior Princess

I just encountered a couple that brought their very young kids and it just didn't seem appropriate. They had books all over the floor, sitting in chairs meant for gym members only (there's a lot of elderly that need to take breaks) and getting in the way of people. I think fitness centers are not a place for young children but again I know most of these new people will be gone in a few weeks.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I just encountered a couple that brought their very young kids and it just didn't seem appropriate. They had books all over the floor, sitting in chairs meant for gym members only (there's a lot of elderly that need to take breaks) and getting in the way of people. I think fitness centers are not a place for young children but again I know most of these new people will be gone in a few weeks.
Does your gym have a child care? I would never bring my kids into the gym area. I'd be afraid they might get injured. And how can the parents possibly get a good workout while watching their kids?

I have never seen children in the gym area in any gym I have ever belonged to, both with and without child care rooms. It doesn't make sense when so many gyms offer a place to leave your kids for while you work out!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #15  

Height: 5'2"

I've encountered rude people in gyms who are not newcomers. I think there are just rude people everywhere. It's the human condition.
Sage2 is offline   Reply With Quote