General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #1  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Default Help with a Keurig

My beloved coffee pot kicked the bucket today. I am happy to say that it died after it brewed my last pot of coffee. A friend of ours gave us a Keurig recently. I did not want to have any part of it since I like my coffee the way I brew it. LOL Since my beloved coffee pot has gone to coffee pot heaven I have broken out the Keurig but I need some advice. I read the booklet but didn't see my questions covered there. My coffee mug holds more than the large coffee cup button. If I do the small coffee cup twice it's the right amount of liquid that I will need. I also like stronger coffee. Should I use two different K-cups? I'm thinking I should but don't know about all of this and don't want to totally ruin my first cup of coffee in the morning. I haven't opened any of the little cups to look at what's inside. Is there real coffee grounds in there or is it instant coffee? TIA
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #2  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Height: 5'9"

It's coffee grounds that it pushes hot water through and into your cup. If you want to fill your mug, with the lowest setting, it would be best to use 2 cups (I prefer strong coffee and used to do this before my Keurig died after 3 years of daily use and 2 moves).

However, if you want to do that, I would recommend getting a reusable mesh k-cup (they are like $10-$15) and fill it with your favorite coffee grounds. It works exactly the same, just dump the used grounds out, and refill, then run it through again. It's a whole lot cheaper! I started doing this when I realized I was going through a 12 dollar box of 18 k-cups in less than a week. It got pricey!

Last edited by FeraFilia; 08-09-2014 at 01:23 AM.
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I like the idea of the keurig, different types of coffee, but too expensive for my taste. My parents have one, and the reusable mesh k-cup just doesn't work for me. I always end up with coffee grounds with that thing. When I needed a new coffeemaker I researched and bought a programmable Sunbeam 12 cup. It's great. I can set it at night and I wake up to fresh coffee.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #4  
Trying to live below 200

Thank you for the info. I love my morning coffee. Everything turned out fine this morning. I can tell it's going to be expensive, though. DH has been wanting one of these for a long time. He doesn't drink my coffee often because he says it's too strong. His comment is that my coffee will "wake the dead". Well, I am half dead when I get up. I had everything set up this morning and he knows how to use it. He had to leave early this morning, before I got up. When I got up I noticed he didn't use it. He is a gadget person but rarely uses the gadgets. I think this is going to be a similar gadget situation for him. My Keurig came with the reusable k-cup thingy. I will use up the rest of my ground coffee with that. I am not completely impressed with the whole thing. I will probably continue to use it until it breaks, .
Old 08-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #5  

I just want to second the reusable k cup. Buying the individual kcups really is expensive after awhile if you are a coffee drinker. I usually use the biggest cup button and I'm good, but I'd like to try hitting the small twice without replacing the grounds in the reusable kcup thing. Might work. Only thing I miss about the pot is in the summer I would make a pot, have my hot cup and let the rest sit and make iced coffee later in the day. You can brew it out of the kcup onto ice but its not as good...
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #6  
Trying to live below 200

The first cup of coffee with the reusable K-cup was an epic fail. I have noticed that the Keurig doesn't brew a strong cup of coffee with good body. You can get a dark roast, which I don't necessarily like, and it has a strong bitter flavor. But it's not strong how I like it and none of it has a good body. It's thin like water. I don't know if that makes any sense. I will probably hand pour the rest of my ground coffee instead of using the reusable K-cup, unless I can figure something else out. Oh how I miss my coffee pot!