General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #16  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

groupon.com is good... but dangerous. It's basically a place to purchase "Coupons" for local shops. Now, dangerous because you'll see a good deal like a mani pedi combo for just $20 and you'll think! TOO GOOD not to! And spend $20 you normally wouldn't spend.

BUT

On the upside, if you log in with an objective in mind and focus, you can save money on some things. Example. My car needed an oil change, this is probably one of the servicse machanics don't really need to mess around with and I could do one myself, but I HATE doing them and it's probably the same price just to pay someone to do it. I will see I need an oil change, log into groupon and find a coupon for one. Last time I spent $25 on a groupon and got an oil change, engine check, transmission fluid check /top off and tire rotation. They even checked pressures and lights. $25, normal cost for all that service? $100. It was a necessary need.

I also needed my hair done, Groupon, spend $30 to get a normal price $120 style and cut and color. (I hate cost cutters as they always mess it up, so I was in search of a good salon).

When my Fiance and I want to go out and it's in our budget, we often check out groupons or deals posted as well, because you can go out for half the price.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #17  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Good point about Groupon. Living Social has similar deals. It's tempting but I wonder if it's worth it...
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #18  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

It can be worth it. Like, the oil change for example. But scanning through just for giggles can get pricey. I did a wine one once, I drink a lot of wine, and while I did save on wine, I would up with 50 bottles and gave most away. XD
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:20 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 331/317.2/150

Height: 5'8"

I feel ya. I started couponing saves a lot but also can make me buy things I didn't plan to just because its a deal. And I'm beginning to look at stuff and say "hey is the healthy for me and my family" and stuff like that. Because I'm really trying to work towards more whole stuff and cooking from scratch to try to save that way.

We gave up soda finally. This is a soda free family. And even when my brother bought a case for my friends son that comes to visit him in summer and on weekends nobody else touched it. That is pretty impressive for me. I finally broke that habit. I got used to drinking water in the morning. It sometimes makes me gag and gives me acid reflux type stuff. But it has improved actually the longer I go without sugary drinks.

What i mean is just look through receipts and track what you buy and find places where you can cut out stuff. I'm finally getting that I need to meal plan so that I know my list to shop from. Due to job hunt struggles I'm currently on the EBT Food Stamp challenge of eating healthiest I can but on a strict budget.
LessOfLissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #20  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I've been a compulsive shopper, but I always found I did it because I was bored or because I wanted to fill a void.

Think about how industrialization, mass production and the "demand" for consumer goods is destroying the planet, generating pollution and wiping out the remaining wilderness areas of countries across the globe. If that doesn't work, think about never being able to retire because you don't have any money because you spent it all on knick-knacks when you were younger.

I know how manic phases are - my dad bought a 5 bedroom house for a family of three in a mania, which is now a total money pit. Can you cut up your cards and put some of your savings $ in an investment account so you can't touch it?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #21  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink

Thank you for all the great suggestions and advice! I paid off 2 of my 3 creditors today, big yay!!!

Have a good night!

Amy
Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

congrats.
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #23  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Sweet! Being debt free is such a liberating feeling!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #24  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink

Thank you all so much for the encouragement!! It does feel great to become debt free!

Take care.

Amy
Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I do what Pattience says, but instead of a cash box, I use a bank account. I have one for bills only and I make sure to tally the full amount that I need every two weeks and transfer the money into that account. I always keep it charted out in advance. For example:

Mortgage is $2k, electric is $200/month. Every paycheck (every two weeks), I transfer $1k for my mortgage, and $100 for my electric, and so on with each bill.

Things like oil, car taxes, and summer camp I have to figure out for the year and split it amongst the paychecks so I have it put aside already when it's due.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #26  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

High five seabiscuit! I hope to join you in that feeling eventually!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #27  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Default :)

Thanks everyone!

Karma is, that's an awesome suggestion about investing! Maybe I'll take $50 or $100 and have a family member put it into the trust that she has set up. Great idea!

My true Achilles heel is impulse spending... I tend to buy iced coffees, waters, etc on the go. I'm going to consider buying beverages from the grocery store which is cheaper and bringing them with me. I may also consider getting the Sunday paper for coupons. I usually buy store brand things, at least for some things but I spend too much on accessories/brand name hair products and expensive services, sometimes nails too. I can look at my online banking and it's eye opening to see all the little impulsive purchases, they really add up. I'm trying to eat out less but it would be nice to treat myself to a meal out instead of lots of teas and coffees.

Thanks for listening!

Amy
Old 07-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

actually the little treats in themselves aren't a bad thing - hopefully you can find a way to manage them so they don't add up too much.

nothing too restrictive, but maybe stick to a treat budget (a daily amount rather than a weekly one). This way if you get an iced coffee, then you're done for the day. But if you skip the iced coffee a couple of days you could then save up to get your nails done 3 days later.

try it and see what works with you
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #29  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Thank you Maddie. I opened up a reload able pre paid bank card so I am going to use that for things I want but I don't need, like Iced Coffees and Teas. Good idea about saving up for manis/pedis.