General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default Advice and suggestions for a first trip to London, please?

Hello, all! My best friend and I will be traveling to London at the end of July and staying for 10 days. We are American women in our mid-30s - not really wild and crazy party types, but interested in experiencing as much as we can while we're there. Culture, history, touristy stuff, rambling walks in local neighborhoods . . . we're good with any of that. My best friend also has an obsession with all things Sherlock Holmes (the new BBC production as well as the Conan Doyle stories) so I know we'll be doing some sort of trip to the fake 221B Baker Street.

I'm open to any and all suggestions for places to go, things to see, and, yes, food to eat. We are staying with American friends who moved to England last year and live somewhere SE of the city - um, Bromley, I think? So that'll be our home base, but we're fine with making the commute back and forth. We're also open to one or two day trips. Any suggestions for those? I have an old acquaintance who lives in Swansea in Wales, and I could impose on her for a day if that would be worthwhile.

Also, I'm a terrible overpacker. It's a disease I've always struggled with. It would help me greatly to know what people think I absolutely must bring (clothes and shoes, especially) and what I'm OK to do without.

Yes, I've got the tour books and have been reading TONS of stuff online, but I always like hearing directly from people who have traveled or live somewhere. Thanks for your help!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #2  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

West Highgate Cemetery: really interesting and not all that well known, is worth a visit.

http://highgatecemetery.org/visit/cemetery/west

(The west side is more interesting ... though the east side has the grave of Karl Marx.)
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

For what to pack, make sure you're prepared for rain and not-so-warm weather. It's really changeable over here, so I find it best to layer clothes in case the sun suddenly comes out or it starts raining!

221b Baker Street as I'm sure you know has been made into a Sherlock Holmes museum, though I've only ever been in the gift shop I'm sure it's interesting! If you're getting around on the tube and buses, you'll want to weigh up your choices between an Oyster card or one of the day tickets that the transport systems offer. It depends how many journeys you'll be making in a day as to which would be best for your needs.

Visiting? Of course, there's the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge etc. Lots of people go to the waxworks Madame Tussauds, though it's pretty pricey. There's two excellent (free) museums, The Natural History Museum and the Science Museum which are both next door to each other but get very busy at peak times. Then if you like shopping, Harrods is well worth a visit for the high end experience and personally I love Camden Market for its quirky stalls and food! whew.

There's so much that I could recommend, but I didn't want to bombard you with too much info! Feel free to ask anything though!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I love London. I wouldn't miss the Tate museums!

We stayed in Mayfair which is a posh neighborhood but has some really nice restaurants. We had lots of fish n chips in that neighborhood as well as hot apple pie with custard. You've got to go to one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants! And it's close to Hyde Park. One of my favorite destinations is Notting Hill, wonderful little neighborhood with cute little townhouses with pastel colored doors like pink, blue, and yellow. Lovely!

But beware, London is super expensive!!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #5  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Walks and beer and weird things - Camden Town
Walks and beer and other things - Covent Garden
Half the Parthenon and a huge Egyptian collection - The British museum
I also love the London Dungeon if you are a fan of horror.
Have fun!
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I'm so jealous! Will you bring me?!? It's been a decade since I've been.

I found the A to Z helpful. Full of maps that were useful when navigating. And if you like theatre, see what's playing.

http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

Welcome! I actually live close to Bromley - you'll find the commute ridiculously easy! An oyster card may be useful if you aren't getting too many buses or tubes, and there is a price cap when you reach the price of a daily travel card, but if you forget to swipe at a station you'll incur a charge so I'd personally just get an all zones travel card at the station. If you wait until 10am to go, then in will be £8.90 for the day, and this allows you to get as many trains, tubes and buses as you wish all day. Before that is classed as peak time so it'll be £13.something.

Firstly, for your day trip, how about Stratford-upon-Avon? Shakespeare's birthplace! It's a bit far away but it's really interesting!

If you're in to shopping, try Bluewater - it's actually in the opposite direction to London, roughly 30 mins from Bromley? But it's the largest shopping centre in Europe (or at least it was when it was built lol!) It's built in an old chalk quarry which is pretty cool

I'd check out Camden - quirky stalls, street art and a 10 minute walk from London Zoo You could even just walk the streets and people watch - you won't find a wider variety of people anywhere! If you do decide to venture out at night, Koko usually has some good live music on and Purple Turtle isn't bad.

China town is always good for some chinese food and some odd sights, such as whole octopuses hanging in windows.

You could also have a wander around Borough Market - it's all food, but you can get some really interesting stuff there. There's a stall where you can buy odd things like kangaroo and crocodile to try! And of course, you can see the place they used as the front door for Bridget Jones' house

Tate Modern's always worth a look, as is the Tate Britain and National Portrait Gallery. The Science Museum is pretty cool too.

Covent Garden's a nice place to walk around, do a little shopping and there's always some sort of street performance going on.

You could see the Cutty Sark.

Greenwich Park is beautiful and will be easy for you to get to - they have deer! (This is somewhat fascinating to me, as I had never seen a live deer until I went there lol) You also get a really beautiful view of the city from there.

If you're interested in theatre, The National Theatre usually has some reasonably priced shows on, or if you're willing to spend a little more go West End! We Will Rock You and Wicked are my personal recommendations

You could go to the viewing platform at the Shard.

You could take a ride on the cable cars that go to the O2 in Greenwich (once the Millennium Dome) to get a great view of London without having to spend a whole hour on the London Eye.

Madame Tussauds or the London Dungeons are fun if you're in to that sort of thing.

Basically, there is no shortage of things for you to do and see here! I would pack a mixture of clothing. As it's July, you'd expect the weather to be pretty good, but rain is always around the corner lol. It shouldn't be too cold though, so just make sure you have a couple of jumpers, jeans and a lightweight jacket. And something summery in case you luck out with the weather

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Last edited by aseret123; 06-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Stay out of Shoreditch at night unless you absolutely love being around coked up Italians

I'll comment mainly on food: I HIGHLY recommend reserving NOW (it may even be too late?) for a Sunday roast at Hawksmoor Seven Dials near Covent Garden I believe: http://thehawksmoor.com/locations/seven-dials

Visit my friend Rachel's food stand "Hello Kitchen" at a food market! http://www.whats-on-london.co.uk/oko...lo-kitchen-uk/ (WARNING: she is obsessed with the very American food that got us all fat in the first place)

Have a drink at the End of the World pub in Camden and enjoy the horses and the shops, I love it there!

Victoria & Albert museum has the best gift shop, think ahead to Xmas! :P
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Thank you for all the suggestions so far, everyone! I'm loving reading this and adding to the list. Work is swallowing me whole this week, but hopefully this weekend I'll be able to ask some followup questions and more specific details.

In the meantime, feel free to add more as you think of things.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote