General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Question Returning to a former internist?

Hi there, I wanted to post about this before I make my decision.

I have a number of medical issues in addition to some psych issues. I was seeing an internist who I really liked, I'll call him Dr. A, and he really helped me out a lot. I decided to leave his office about 2 years ago based solely on the staff's canceling on me a number of times and one of the medical assistants getting very irritated with me. I actually spoke to the office manager and Dr. A about these issues but my appointment was canceled again because of Dr. A's personal circumstances. I miss seeing Dr. A because he really understood the complexity of my issues, cared a lot about me and helped me out a lot. I wrote a letter to the office manager saying I was leaving but I think it was a nice letter asserting my feelings. It was a hard letter to write because I never got to say goodbye to Dr. A and I never wanted to say goodbye. I volunteer at my local hospital and recently I saw Dr. A in passing. I was so happy to see him and we both smiled, I gave him a hug. We talked for a few minutes and he said he was sorry things turned out the way that they did. I told him I haven't found an internist as good as him, he said thanks, and that was a light bulb moment for me, he really was the best.

So, when I switched from Dr. A to Dr. B's office, I stuck with them for awhile and liked Dr. B but I had to pay out-of-pocket which I later learned is illegal in my case. I also saw a different doctor in Dr. B's group who was nice but I didn't think helped me out the way he should have when I was really sick, and ended up being hospitalized.

Now, I am at Dr. C. I have seen a PA-C there and Dr. C, they are okay but not nearly as good as Dr. A. Part of me really wants to go back to Dr. A but these are my concerns:

1) I haven't given Dr. C's office much of a chance so I am wondering if I should see someone else in the practice or give them more of a chance

2) If I were to switch back to Dr. A, I am wondering if it would raise some eyebrows and concerns at Dr. A's office about why I am switching back? I would have to go there weekly for allergy shots. Their office is geographically closer to my home than Dr. C's office.

I don't know what to do. I miss Dr. A because he really cared a lot about me and understood my issues, is a very good doc. It also is good that they provide nutrition counseling at Dr. A's office and my insurance covers it. I felt very comfortable with him. I don't know if it would be awkward to return to him or not?

Thanks.

Last edited by seabiscuit; 05-20-2013 at 07:11 AM.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

It might be a little awkward at first, but I would go back to Dr. A. You didn't list anything you preferred in the others. There may even be different staff at Dr. A after 2 years.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

A doctor that you like and trust is a gift. Don't worry what the staff might think -- they are there to serve you. And while the cancellations occurred, it sounds like Dr. A had some stuff going on in his life as well.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #4  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Well, I called Dr. A's office and they said that they are not accepting new patients.

Dr. C's office is irritated with me because I wanted to get allergy shots at their office and they are concerned about my having allergic reactions there. I am having short term memory loss and must have forgot them saying that. They want me to go to my allerigst who is an hour away to get my allergy shots, which will take up half of my day to do this.

I feel very sad and upset. I just want to bury my head in the sand.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #5  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

You're not a new patient. Odd they would tell you that.

Do you have his email? Perhaps you could write him an email saying you'd like to return. Then they'd have to take you.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #6  

Tough call. Since Dr. A is not accepting new patients, its sounds like you are stuck either staying with Dr. C or finding another doc. Did you tell Dr.A's staff that you used to go there? If so did you tell them who you were? In my experience, doctor's generally will not take patient's back that have left their practice, regardless of the reason (unless its like you moved out of the area and moved back). Not ever doc is uncomfortable doing this, but I've just noticed it seems to be the majority of docs I've known over the years (I'm a nurse).
Regardless of whatever happened, they may just be overwhelmed with their current patient load and are not accepting new ones.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #7  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Thanks for the support.

No, I do not have Dr. A's email. I don't know and I never will know if his office is truly not accepting new patients or they just said that. I feel frustrated. I have to go to Dr. C's office soon to pick up the allergy shot vials and I was going to schedule my physical with their office. I was going to ask for a different doctor at their practice. I just feel so frustrated because I don't think they were being very pleasant on the phone and that really upset me. I guess I will stick with their office but I am not happy with their staff and I don't think they are happy with me either. I can't get the allergy shots there either, that's why the receptionist got irritated with me today because she thought the nurses told me that. Now I have to travel a half hour each week to get the shots.

Sigh. Thanks for the support.