General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Smile What random acts of kindness have you given lately?

I thought I would share this, about a month ago I was a patient in a hospital for pneumonia and influenza where I am about to start volunteering. Actually, my first day of volunteering is today, my shift starts in less than two hours! Anyways, after being a patient in the hospital for four nights, I was so impressed with the quality of care that I received that I decided to write a letter to the CEO of the hospital, thanking them, especially one individual and certain departments in my letter.

Recently, I received a letter from the CEO thanking me very much for the letter and saying he would share the letter with the people I mentioned. He also shared that he was looking forward to my volunteering! I may get a chance to meet the CEO next month at a volunteer luncheon and I may mention to him how much his letter meant to me. I got tears in my eyes when I read it because I realized I had done a good deed and people were rightfully recognized for their worth. I realized that sometimes the smallest random act of kindness is really worth it, both on my part writing the letter to the CEO and him writing the letter to me! Both people are pleased and happy and I also realize that he looks forward to my volunteering. That also means a lot to me.

What random act of kindness have you given or received lately? If you haven't given one, think about doing it because you may be surprised how great you can feel afterwards!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

that was a wonderful thing you did! Alot of people do recognize and appreciate other's good work at their jobs but it is hard to follow through with something written but you did
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink

Thanks Holly!

It felt really great both to write and receive the letters. Doing something for the greater good gives me a great feeling!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #4  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

There was this woman who was walking in front of me in a parking yesterday who was all dressed up with this super classy skirt. She looked a bit nervous and/or stressed. She probably walked to close to a car and the behing of her skirt had this huge mark of dust/dirt. I ran after her (and after scaring the cr*p out of her when she was hearing somebody rushing on her LOL) she looked SO releived I told her about her skirt.

It was not a big deal to me, but it looked huge to her. You never know how much a random gesture will mean to somebody!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/216/140

Height: 5'3"

I will share what my 7 year old did.

We were grocery shopping and she saw a woman with a long flowy skirt, and a pretty sequined top. She was reading nutrition labels on several items and looked very frustrated. She was a little heavy and I just wanted to hug her and tell her I knew exactly how she felt. My daughter saw her and said "look at that lady mom! I want to look just like her when I grow up! She's so pretty!" I told her we should go and let the woman know how she felt. So I took her over there and my daughter (who isn't shy at all) said "excuse me, I just want to say you are very pretty and I hope I look like you when I grow up". The woman immediately had tears in her eyes and asked if it was OK to hug my daughter. We ran across her a few more times in the store and she had the biggest smile each time. I was one proud momma.

My good deed.... I always donate clothes my kids outgrow that are still really nice to families I know can use them.
SweetAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #6  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

SweetAsCanBe: That is awesome Your daughter is a special little lady.

For the holidays I have the kids pick out a toy they each really like and we donate it to toys for tots. It means a lot to them to know that somewhere out there is a child that they helped make happy on Christmas. They also let me take toys they aren't using for my therapy sessions with children who are less privilaged than them.

As for me, I helped an elderly woman unpack her cart at the grocery store.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/216/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheramama View Post
SweetAsCanBe: That is awesome Your daughter is a special little lady.

For the holidays I have the kids pick out a toy they each really like and we donate it to toys for tots. It means a lot to them to know that somewhere out there is a child that they helped make happy on Christmas. They also let me take toys they aren't using for my therapy sessions with children who are less privilaged than them.

As for me, I helped an elderly woman unpack her cart at the grocery store.
Thank you! She is a wonderful girl. Sounds like you have some good ones too
SweetAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #8  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Talking :)

I wanted to share, I recently got to meet the CEO of the hospital that I volunteer for! I went up to him after the volunteer luncheon and thanked him for his letter to me and for the excellent care that the hospital staff gave to me. We both smiled and I gave him a hug.

In the mail, I received a form requesting to honor doctors at the hospital where I volunteer. I am honoring some doctors who have helped me out a lot and writing them personalized notes and making a small donation. It feels great to give to people who have given to me.

Have any of you experienced or received any random acts of kindness lately?

They make my days a lot happier! I hope they make yours more pleasurable too.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Oh my gosh Sweet...the story about your daughter made ME cry. The world needs many more people like the two of you!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote