General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Default How Did you All Meet your Significant Others?

How did you all meet your significant others? I'm 32 and would really like to find someone special (some of you may have seen my crush post below, I haven't ruled that out yet but I still think its unlikely and whatever will be will be). I'd like to more actively seek someone out.

Here's the thing - I've tried online dating - A LOT. And it just hasn't worked out. I also live in a geographic region (AZ) that seems to be pretty fat phobic. I had no trouble finding dates when I lived in NYC. The problem with online dating, is that I am so much more awesome in person than a profile can convey. And people online are more superficial (including myself - it becomes almost like window shopping). I definitely have a personality that can help compensate for not being conventionally hot - so online puts me at a disadvantage in many ways.

So what else can I do? How can I meet someone? Any advice is appreciated. And, I'd love to hear your stories of how you met your special someone!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I met mine at my work place, at a company BBQ, I didn't have 25 cents for cheese for my burger so he bought me a slice We didn't start dating until a few months after that though! He doesn't work with me anymore, part of me misses it, part of me is glad!!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #3  
Warrior

S/C/G: 252/216/160

Height: 5'7"

Lol... I love when people ask me how I met mine. We met at an S&M club.

I wish I could go more into the story, but I'm on my phone and don't have a lot of time.
DazeGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #4  

I met my exhusband by asking him to dance. I was 17 at the time, he was 21 and I was overweight then. It was good for a while but the last couple years before the divorce were terrible and I gained up to 344 lbs. Was married from age 19 to 25, divorced for almost a year now. During my divorce last year I met my ex BF at an air show, another ex bf I met at Best Buy, ex BF after that I met thru online dating and current love of my life I met thru online dating. For myself I need to end up in a larger city after graduation so I have not actively looked for a SO in my town and put in my profile my situation and that I'm very open to relocating. He knows that I'm actively working to lose weight (currently 312) and loves me for me. No matter what size. I do think it's harder for us larger girls but not by any means impossible.

Last edited by stunningsparkle; 02-25-2013 at 02:01 PM.
stunningsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #5  
Releasing the inner hiker

I met my love on OKCupid after quite a few crazy dates.

Have you tried Meetup.com? It is not a dating site, but a good place to meet others with like interests.

I have to say, though, that I was asked out quite a few times when I was contra-dancing regularly. I was already in a committed relationship by then, but it was nice to get asked out by normal men around my age (40).
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #6  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I managed a commercial department and had switched stores on the day my hubby started. I was his boss and older than him, only a few years but at the time it seemed like I was cradle robbing, especially being his boss. We worked together a month before we hung out and the rest is history. We had to hide our relationship so it was pretty funny how everyone knew he had the hots for me and thought he was too scared to do anything about it, they even called him gay.
He was so sweet, respectful and cute so I said to myself " he will be mine"
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

At the bar. Our first date was more "proper" - we went for a hike and had dinner after.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I met my gf through a blog-type site. Actually I signed up for it to complain about my ex (who I'd met on a different blogging site. i sound nuts, oh well). We talked as friends for like a year and then wound up in a relationship. It's funny because neither time I've been in a relationship with someone I met online has been through a dating site or an actual effort to meet a romantic partner online. It just happened. (I've dated online too from dating sites, but never ended up with any of them)

Last edited by djs06; 02-25-2013 at 02:35 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

We went to a very tiny college - but more applicable for you, we had mutual friends and started hanging out together along with our friends.

I'm rather perplexed observing my own friends - a lot are into online dating but IMO there are plenty of attractive single men and women in our greater social circles. Of course I wouldn't want to meddle to the level of setting anyone up, but I'm just not sure why all these great people aren't getting together. Not brave enough to risk expressing interest, or not open enough to exploring dating an acquaintance?
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #10  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I met DH at a Mensa convention at a late night card game. I lived in Ohio; he lived in St Louis; we met in Chicago. We didn't see each other again for 9 months and then ran into each other again at an event in St Paul, MN. We've been together ever since.

I met my first husband through a magazine personal ad (it was before on-line).
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Goth rave lol I don't know if that'll help you but just replace 'goth rave' with 'party with your scene' yea. But I don't know if meeting someone at a drunken party is all that good really, I just got lucky.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Work, my husband was actually married when we first met and we didn't live in the same state let alone city. Then we worked together in the same building, then he left the company, then he came back to the company, then he was going through a divorce and we became closer friends after that (I had just gone through a difficult breakup so we commiserated). Then we started dating, after about 5 years after we initially met. And we've been together for nearly 8 years.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERHR View Post
I'm rather perplexed observing my own friends - a lot are into online dating but IMO there are plenty of attractive single men and women in our greater social circles. Of course I wouldn't want to meddle to the level of setting anyone up, but I'm just not sure why all these great people aren't getting together. Not brave enough to risk expressing interest, or not open enough to exploring dating an acquaintance?
I would hate to muck up an existing social dynamic. Dating within my group of friends feels like incest - but friends of friends is different of course.

Right now there's a lot of inter-sexing/dating in my local crew of 10-12 people. It feels like walking on eggshells to be around them, some people know things while others don't, when there are fights it's AWKWARD for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryQuinn View Post
Goth rave lol I don't know if that'll help you but just replace 'goth rave' with 'party with your scene' yea. But I don't know if meeting someone at a drunken party is all that good really, I just got lucky.
They have goth clubs in Newfoundland?! Impressed

Last edited by krampus; 02-25-2013 at 03:33 PM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

For us it was online dating We have 2 kids now.

What about meetup groups?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

My husband and I went to high school together but we didn't actually talk at all. I got his email address from a friend of mine that had taken him to prom and we chatted on MSN messenger for about a year before finally meeting up! We've been together for 8 years, married for 3.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote