General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default New hair colour and 'real world' jobs...

This summer I'm looking for lab work where I can grow my professional experience in my field (Toxicology). I still have a few months before I look for one but I've hit a snag. For sh*ts and giggles I dyed the tips of my hair fire-engine red and....my fiance loves it. I want to keep it around for him but I'm concerned about my 'hirability' with this hair.

Here's a picture of it:

Is it too much? When I tie it back you can only see the "natural" red and the rest is in the pony tail.

Thoughts?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #2  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Got to say when I first opened it up I only saw your Beautiful Auburn Hair then I looked closer I saw the ends.
I prefer the top part of your hair is it your natural color? I think it is very striking!
I work with people who have various styles and coloring but I think when they were originally hired they did not look like that.
Like it or not Our first impression is formed from that first meeting.
Do you want the Human Resource person to be focused on your appearance or your credientials and what you bring to the table.
If you we're applying for a position that is more artistic I don't think it would be an issue.
Do you know anyone in the field maybe you could get their input.
Hope I did not offend you but I wanted to give you a honest opinion.
Good Luck on the interview,Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #3  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Just put it up during your interviews.
I love your hair!!!!! I could be your mother, but I play with my hair all the time. Every 7-8 weeks I change colors. LOVE IT!!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Dye it back to natural for the interview/first month or two. Then feel it out and see what they think.

They may not care at all, but I think a $3 box of dye to cover it is a safe precaution to take.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I'm not sure what the job market is like in your area, but here in NYC it's pretty tight to say the least... and unfortunately I could see how it might be a potential problem....

I'm responsible for a department where I work with over 60 employees... So I do a fair amount of interviews after the initial screening process and HR interviews... and in my experience HR tends to be much more conservative when it comes to a candidate's appearance... So even though I make the decision on who I want on our team... and I wouldn't base my decision solely on your haircolor... But unfortunately because of the nature of the HR process it would be unlikely that they would advance that candidate to our department interview process...

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, but for what it's worth I think your hair looks great... and I'd hire you for one of our labs if I could...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 11-14-2012 at 03:01 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

I love your hair and funky looks, but I would probably go a bit more natural for the interview process as well. During university I had a lot of piercings, but I took most of them out prior to my job search. Unfortunately appearances play a role (not just credentials).

Good luck!!
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 317/292/150

Height: 5'3 ½

Oh I love it!! It fits your face nicely. I would try to go natural for an interview, I'd hate for it to come down to you and someone else and they pick the other person based on hair color.
livelaughlovesunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I work in the pharmaceutical industry and used to work with some toxicologists so I'm familiar with some of the types of companies you might be applying to. Small biotech companies might overlook the hair (but it still might factor in), but big pharma and contract labs that do work for other companies are much more conservative. That being said, I absolutely love your hair and I think after you get that job, you could definitely go back to that color.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Yes, natural for interviews and then you can go back a few months later. You wouldn't want your hair to be what interviewers remember you for!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I'm biased I have bright red hair as well, tho I'm a hair stylist so its acceptable let alone expected. Tho! I have to add I've been able To get a job with what ever colored hair I have had in the past. I believe if your interviewing skills are up to par and you give them what they want professionally with your experience you can conquer anything. I would pull it up in a cute top knot, show them what you can do for their company and then gradually work your way to letting your hair down, but like I said I'm biased
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

If the top part of your hair is your natural color, that is gorgeous and I'm insanely jealous. A lot.

As far as interviewing goes, I agree with krampus and juliana77. Let them see you for your skills, and judge you on that. With the job market being what it is in most places, employers can afford to be picky, and if it comes down to two or thee final candidates, they may discard the options that don't fit their "image".

Good luck with the job search, whatever you decide with your hair!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #12  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I agree with a subdued look while job hunting 100%.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I like it. I have interviewed job prospects and haven't had this issue but I have had people who chewed gum during the interview or were sloppily or inappropriately dressed, blouses pinned together for instance. I would be more concerned with your qualifications for the job than your hair. If you are worried about it get a temporary rinse.
PS I haven't done this to my hair but it has been every color possible.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote