General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #1  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Anyone Here Heard of Slow Food?

So some info just came across my desk this morning about this non-profit organization called Slow Food which describes itself as a "global, grassroots organization with supporters in 150 countries around the world who are linking the pleasure of good food with a commitment to their community and the environment."

So I did a little more research and I really liked what I saw at their website...

http://www.slowfood.com and http://www.slowfoodusa.org

I thought that some of you here might be interested in what they're doing, because in my short time here I've seen lots posts from people who have expressed and interest in "clean" foods and more sane and sustainable production practices in the food industry...

So my question is has anyone here heard of them, or maybe even perhaps worked with them? And even if you haven't I'd be interested with people's thought and feelings on this one...

I'm feeling like I might have been a little late to the party on this one... but hopefully I can get up to speed with everyone's help here...

I'm hoping that some people here find it as interesting a topic as I do... so Thanks....

Last edited by TripSwitch; 09-08-2012 at 07:08 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

your link doesn't work.
it's http://www.slowfood.com/ or http://www.slowfoodusa.org/

I was looking at the 2nd link and they have an event that isn't too far from me, but it's $165 to go.
Seems interesting. I'm hoping my next apartment will have a balcony so I can grow some of my own veggies. Don't have the attention to sort through the website now though.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Ballerina View Post
your link doesn't work.
it's http://www.slowfood.com/ or http://www.slowfoodusa.org/

I was looking at the 2nd link and they have an event that isn't too far from me, but it's $165 to go.
Seems interesting. I'm hoping my next apartment will have a balcony so I can grow some of my own veggies. Don't have the attention to sort through the website now though.
Thanks for fixing the link and adding the one for the site here in the U.S. (sorry about that, but I'm still not too great at attaching links and photos and things like that yet...)

It does seem interesting doesn't it? I don't think I'll be going to any of their events any time soon either... but there was definitely a lot of things on their site that got me thinking and that made me want to do some more research for myself that's for sure...

I get so much "junk" that comes across my desk.... so this was nice for a change...

P.S. Oh, and I know this is silly, but I figured out how go back in an edit the original post and fix the links... Actually a big accomplishment me....

Last edited by TripSwitch; 09-08-2012 at 07:15 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've heard of the "slow food movement," but not the specific organizations in the links.

I first started hearing about the "slow food movement" on 3FC, and then PBS, and then at our local farmers markets. I think it's awesome, though I don't think most folks are able to be purists about it.

Hobby farms and small family farms are regaining popularity though, and the prices are coming down rapidly.

I do still use quite a few non-local foods, and even some convenience foods, but more and more of the food hubby and I are eating is slow and local. We can't afford to get everything locally, but we're doing better and better every year.

Our concept of local though is a bit broadened too. Every few months we drive about 45 minutes to get cheese from a small factory in which it's made. We have a smaller cheese factory about 20 minutes away. We consider both sources "local" and buy the products each does best. The one does awesome cheese curds and montery jack varieties, and the best whey protein I've ever found but the other cheese varieties are hit and miss. The other has better prices and higher quality (usually you have to trade one for the other).

As the market for local products is growing, the prices for local goods are coming down tremendously, which makes it easier to support the "movement."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote