General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Default Insomnia

Anyone have it and if so what do you do?

I have terrible insomnia and don't want to take too many meds from over the counter. the stuff works but I would just like to go to sleep and sleep thru the night without having to take anything. It is almots 5 in the morning and I am wide awake, ugh!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I've had it in the past. The thing that cured my 3 months of chronic insomnia was restarting my yoga practice. I was awake one night at 4am (had been since about 1) and saw a 6:30 am yoga class in my area. I figured since i was up I'd go. I started going about 3-4 times a week, mostly after work but sometimes to that early morning class. After about a month I couldn't make the class because I was finally sleeping through the night.

The other things I'd tried without success: sleeping pills, wine, not drinking wine, crystals, acupuncture, other exercise, going to bed earlier, going to bed later.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/125 (HW: 188)

Height: 5'6"

When I was in my teens my doctor recommended I start taking melatonin, and it really helps me. It's a hormone supplement (melatonin is the hormone that regulates sleep in our bodies), not a sleeping pill, and you should be able to find it in any grocery store with a vitamin section. It's pretty subtle -- it doesn't knock me out and even with it I still have more trouble getting to sleep than "most people", I think, but it does a good job of easing me into sleep. It's barely noticeable, but I went on vacation about a year ago without bringing it and that really highlighted how much it helps -- all the sudden I was right back to 2-3 hours of just lying there, trying to sleep.

Anyway I'm not sure if this even answers your question because it falls under "taking something"! But I thought I would share all the same. Hope you find something that works for you, insomnia sucks.
lexie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I second the melatonin. WARNING melatonin can cause extremely vividly dreams tho!

Yeah, that was suppose to say vivid, not vividly!!!

Last edited by drake3272004; 06-04-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: stupid autocorrect on Kindle
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #5  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

Due to medication changes, I too suffer insomnia. I went from requiring (and greatly appreciating) 7-8 hours a night to getting (and accepting without choice) 4-6 hours a night. Rarely on the weekend, I may actually be up 24 hours straight.

Originally I wasn't taking anything. I've taken Melatonin in the past, and its always worked for me. I've cut the pill in half and it works just as well.

I keep forgetting to buy a new bottle, and since its been an allergy nightmare for me lately, I've been taking a benedryl right before I go to sleep if I am desperate for sleep, or if I know I have to get up early.

I'm worried as I will be on vacation with my family in a few weeks, in close quarters, I'm not sure how I will pass the extra time awake.
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #6  
One day at a time

Thank you ALL! I may have to try the Melatonin even though I don't really want to take anything. I have taken benedryl before and 1 pill knocks me out, but if I have to get up early it makes me feel groggy. Just get tired of having to take something to make me sleep.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #7  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

I think you'll be okay with the melatonin, like I said, I'd start with half a pill. I generally fall asleep within 30 minutes. They say you should allow enough time for a full 8 hours of sleep, and when I do that, I wake up feeling pretty damn good. No grogginess
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #8  

Height: 165 cm (5'5'')

I have used melatonin tablets and they work well for me. Though the vivid dreams so wierd me out a bit. The other thing that I find has helped me the most is actually having a sheduled time that I eat breakfast. Generally I eat Breakfast an hour after I wake. So when I started eating breakfast at 6am I would wake at 5am with no alarm or anything else and all of my sleeping patterns would correct themselves. And this only took about 2 days to take effect.

The only other thing I would say if find out how much sleep you need. Not what the literature says or anything else. I for example need 7.5 hours. Anything less and I am tired, anything more and I am like a zombie.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If you are going to try Melatonin please let your doctor know and I would suggest just speaking to a pharmacist to ensure you are completely aware of any contraindication with common over the counter medications.
Alwaysbeenbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #9  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I heard some sleep doctors on the radio this morning saying that most insomnia is stress related. I know sometimes our stress levels are hard to control, but maybe something like yoga as mentioned above would help.

Good luck
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #10  
One day at a time

DDC...yes, have been very stressed lately! But I have had insomnia since I was a teenager, just never bothered me like it does now. I am hoping this new schedule I am starting tomorrow helps. Working on getting more exercise in and start some yoga, eating healthier and staying on a schedule...hoping that helps somewhat. We will see.

THANK YOU ALL!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #11  

Working out, exercising more definitely helps, at least with most people. Aromatherapy is also known for its power to relax and help with any stress or tension you may be experiencing. Yoga is great for the same reason: promotes meditation and can relax the minds and the muscles. If you're problem persists I'd definitely recommend seeing a doctor.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

If you are not comfortable with taking Melatonin in pill form then you can try increasing your levels with food.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5491365_fo...melatonin.html
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote