General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #1  
Lost

S/C/G: 140/140/125

Height: 5'9

Default Extream Bloating-Cant get Bloating in Control

i have had a lot of bloating going on around the stomach area these past couple of months.

i tried eliminating bread and i dont eat dairy, i also watch my intake of sugar, and i don't over eat vegetables so i don't understand why i'm bloating so much!.. one day i will be slim looking and the next day I'm badly bloated.
i can't afford to buy those pills that get rid of bloating.

i drink plenty of water (but of course i dont over or under do it) so it cant be dehydration that's causing it..

i also watch my salt intake , i rarly use salt, and i cook my own meals i dont eat pre-packeged meals, and i dont eat out (mostly cause i cant afford to)

anyone know anything that will bring the bloating down , i already do exercise.

Last edited by VioletRain; 06-02-2012 at 04:41 PM.
VioletRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well, what are you eating? Have you been tested for food sensitivities?

That kind of extreme bloating would be a bat signal to me that I either have a major digestive malfunction or a food allergy/sensitivity my diet is triggering. I'd look into that and eliminate it as a possiblity, it you're already off seed oils, sugar, grains, legumes, dairy, chocolate, and other common inflammatory foods. I had blood testing and then followed an elimination diet to figure out mine and then address what, if any, level of the foods I could tolerate. Best thing I think I have done for my body!

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 06-02-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

At 140 pounds and 5'9" it could just be your internal organs and stomach sticking out from eating. Maybe visit your doctor if this has been going on for a long time?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #4  
Lost

seagirl i noticed it just this year , i dont remember it happening last year.

Arctic Mama yeah i have eliminated most things already i dont eat nuts also.. i've just been eating 2 eggs (sometimes with out the yolk) for breakfast then take my multi vitamins then i drink a cup of black coffee with sweetener then i normally skip lunch (but at lunch time till dinner i will drink water) and at dinner i eat 1 skinless boneless chicken breast with 2 portions of rice, a portion of boiled carrots .. (my dinner is usually 500 and something calories) sometimes i might have mushrooms to.

then at night if im still hungry i will eat a banana or whatever i can find in the house (which sometimes is a slice of bread but only cause there is nothing else.. but i get bloated before i eat that bread so that makes me think its not exacly bread thats doing it) and more water and chew on gum. and maybe have a coffee after dinner or some green tea when i have it.

i've been only eating about 800-900 calories for a month , not really because i chose to, but theres only so much food i can afford.. and i dont want to eat crap just cause it's cheaper to buy.

Last edited by VioletRain; 06-02-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #5  
Back with a story

Well my next question would be if, perhaps, your body is malnourished and is responding with inflammation and water retention every time nutrition comes in. Your calories are low, but they are not particularly high quality, either, which is even worse when the deficit is so high. At your height I'd be recommending closer to 1300-1400 calories of highly nutritious foods. Think dark leafy greens, organ meats, full fat dairy if you can tolerate it, nutritionally dense fruit like berries and grapefruit, and definitely eat the yolks (and some butter) with those eggs.

Your diet is very low in vitamins and minerals for the calories, and the calories are ridiculously low, too. I should probably be more tactful in asking this, but do you have a history of disordered eating behavior beyond what you're explaining, here? I definitely understand being poor, but none of the foods I listed above are expensive and all are highly nutritious (and tasty, too!). Heck, buying chicken thighs with skin on is a lot cheaper than breast meat, per pound, and you're getting more calories and energy-dense fat, too, which could help keep you regular, if nothing else.

But if you have a history of things like restriction/binge cycles, laxative abuse, or other such behaviors, that can explain a fair bit of your bloating. I'm not one to scream YOU'RE NOT EATING ENOUGH! if your body is responding favorably and you have energy and vigor, but honey, you're literally not eating enough.

900 calories of highly nutritious food is one thing, but rice, lean chicken and eggs, boiled root veggies and bread isn't going to make the cut when your calories are already so low. If you like skipping meals and eating lightly and cheaply, maybe make a game with yourself to maximize your nutritional bang for the caloric buck, and eat as whole, nourishing, and healthfully as you can for the least amount of calories and money. That means real foods like whole meat and dairy, colorful produce, and cutting out the empty calories unless you are adding them *to* your already solid nutritional base.

Make sense?

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 06-02-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

I understand what it's like to be on a tight budget. Buy as many groceries as you can afford, and don't be afraid to ask for help at your local foodbank. I've been where you are, and the foodbank can be very accomodating. You won't get a lot of fresh produce, but they'll often provide canned goods, cheese, cereal, and even meat.

You can purchase a decent multivitamin for about 9 dollars, and it should include enough to last you 2 or 3 months.

But I strongly recommend you see your doctor.
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #7  
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Well my next question would be if, perhaps, your body is malnourished and is responding with inflammation and water retention every time nutrition comes in. Your calories are low, but they are not particularly high quality, either, which is even worse when the deficit is so high. At your height I'd be recommending closer to 1300-1400 calories of highly nutritious foods. Think dark leafy greens, organ meats, full fat dairy if you can tolerate it, nutritionally dense fruit like berries and grapefruit, and definitely eat the yolks (and some butter) with those eggs.

Your diet is very low in vitamins and minerals for the calories, and the calories are ridiculously low, too. I should probably be more tactful in asking this, but do you have a history of disordered eating behavior beyond what you're explaining, here? I definitely understand being poor, but none of the foods I listed above are expensive and all are highly nutritious (and tasty, too!). Heck, buying chicken thighs with skin on is a lot cheaper than breast meat, per pound, and you're getting more calories and energy-dense fat, too, which could help keep you regular, if nothing else.

But if you have a history of things like restriction/binge cycles, laxative abuse, or other such behaviors, that can explain a fair bit of your bloating. I'm not one to scream YOU'RE NOT EATING ENOUGH! if your body is responding favorably and you have energy and vigor, but honey, you're literally not eating enough.

900 calories of highly nutritious food is one thing, but rice, lean chicken and eggs, boiled root veggies and bread isn't going to make the cut when your calories are already so low. If you like skipping meals and eating lightly and cheaply, maybe make a game with yourself to maximize your nutritional bang for the caloric buck, and eat as whole, nourishing, and healthfully as you can for the least amount of calories and money. That means real foods like whole meat and dairy, colorful produce, and cutting out the empty calories unless you are adding them *to* your already solid nutritional base.

Make sense?
in different countries produce is priced differently depending on which you live in.. i might be able to find dark greeny leaves like spinach for a good price at a lower class supermarket but i live in the country so i have to pay for gas to get there.. the one closest to me is to expensive
i try and spend only 5 pounds a day for 2 ppl after i get my meat.

i cant eat dairy i'm lactose intolerant, but i could get a dairy alternative.. but again that's not as cheap as real milk.. so i don't normally get something like that..

berries or fruit of any kind in England is expensive even if it's on sale, it's like 2£ for a small container... i've seen prices for apples to be as high as 4£ and that's so ridiculous to me because you can get the same type of apple in Canada for 3 times less then that.

sometimes i'm lucky though and see bananas that are reduced price because there about to go out of date.
thats normally when i buy fruit if it's about to go out of date.
same with vegtibles

root vegetables- are the cheapest type of vegetables another reason why i buy them.

about the chicken, i go to a wholesale place to get my chicken for a good price, i get about 24 pieces of chicken breast for 20 pounds thats about 3£ a day..which beats supermarket prices for meat.
my husband is trying to lose weight and build muscles at the moment and be all round healthier and he wont eat chicken that has skin on it..the breast has the less fat on it.. so we buy that.

vitamins- i found some vitamins for 1£ at a low class market and there's about 20 tablets in there i sometimes buy that..i also look out for sales in health food stores for supplements.

Eating Disorders- some people might think i have anorexic tendencies especially when i'm stressed or upset... i also don't like eating in front of people.. if i do eat in front of people i eat half that of what i would like to eat but if a family member treats us to a restaurant meal i will eat everything on my plate..as i don't like wasting especially if i think it's expensive.

i love food, but i know what i shouldn't have to much of something... i use to binge eat when i was a teen and i have tried to control that part of me through the years.. my mom use to make food that was enough to feed an army.. i think i'm still trying to find a balance with food.. but it's hard when you don't have much money too.. and recently i've been stressing a lot
and i have an anxiety disorder.

i still have candy once in awhile i still have small things like that but i portion it or i spread it through out the day... so i don't think i'm anorexic.. but i do have odd food phobias or habits..but i wouldn't say they are as severe as people with anorexia..at least not yet.. and to be honest it does scare me sometimes, i dont want to ever be anorexic but sometimes i have such low confidence and not having a job doesnt help my confidence aether.. i feel like a useless person.. and i've never said that to anyone before but i'm saying it now because i want to be honest with you since you asked..

- about charity - we get help from my husbands family members sometimes..things are normally better in the winter though because we recieve cards with money which really help.. in the winter we make sure we eat more because 1. we can afford it more and 2. it's good to have fat in winter cause your not as cold.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #8  
Back with a story

I've lived in the UK, I know it is expensive (though, to be fair, the place I live currently is far more expensive than Sainsbury's ever was!). I was just trying to give you some ideas of how to nourish yourself better for the calories and money you spend, since I have a sneaking suspicion, with your weight and height as it currently is, that you're suffering more from symptoms of hunger edema and under-nutrition/malnutrition than anything else.

Take it or leave it, but given what you stated and your symptoms there is cause for concern primarily nutritionally, not anything that needs pills to treat it, but rather food of better and more nutritionally dense quality, and probably more of it. That's not what you wanted to hear, obviously, but it is the best assessment I can give you
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #9  
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I've lived in the UK, I know it is expensive (though, to be fair, the place I live currently is far more expensive than Sainsbury's ever was!). I was just trying to give you some ideas of how to nourish yourself better for the calories and money you spend, since I have a sneaking suspicion, with your weight and height as it currently is, that you're suffering more from symptoms of hunger edema and under-nutrition/malnutrition than anything else.

Take it or leave it, but given what you stated and your symptoms there is cause for concern primarily nutritionally, not anything that needs pills to treat it, but rather food of better and more nutritionally dense quality, and probably more of it. That's not what you wanted to hear, obviously, but it is the best assessment I can give you
i dont have a problem hearing what you have to say, your probably right. i do try though to make the most of what money i have, sometimes i cant get to the cheapest grocery store though, i think thats mostly the reason, cause the shop nearest to me doest have much variety and it's expensive,and most times theres nothing on sale that i could benefit from..i just cant wait till i can move out of the current house i'm in cause i'm to far away from lower priced food. thanks for taking the time to reply