General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #1  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Height: 5'6"

Default I have a big head

So, I do. There's no denying it. My husband even calls me melon head. It's huge. I am afraid that even if I do get down to my goal weight that I will look rediculous with a head that doesn't fit my body.

Now, I'm not talking about my face. I know I have a very round face. For example, I had to go to 6 stores and shop for 6 hours yesterday to find a pair of glasses that didn't give me a headache because they weren't wide enough. 6 STORES! It's very frustrating. I know that my face will start to get skinnier. But MY HEAD?

I guess I am kind of wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat. If so, I could use a few encouraging words.

Last edited by BrittanieYork; 07-23-2010 at 11:47 AM.
BrittanieYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/ticker/120

Height: 5'4''

I completely understand where you're coming from. My head is on the bigger side too. About two years ago (when I was at my smallest), I actually looked very proportionate, I lost a lot of weight in my round cheeks and my neck, and didn't feel as self concious as I do now.

Just take your weightloss slowly, evaluate how you look all over when you reach your minigoals, and see where you're at. I'm sure once some of the extra weight on your face comes off, you'll feel better, and look fine.
beckicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #3  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Oh my gosh . . . what a crack up! Here's my story

My darling sis (5'7", thin, leggy, gorgeous, hate her! (jk i love her)) talks the family into sitting for a portrait. We are more of a "snapshot" kinda family but we did it. She gets the proofs and we are looking at them and she starts guffawing. Laughing herself sick! "What? What is it??? Is Dad's fly undone or something??"

She points at her own head in the picture and makes the "okay" sign with her hand. She can't speak because she's laughing so hard. She points at my head, wipes the tears from her face and says, barely audible, "your . . .head . . . is . . .freakin' . . . HUGE!" Later, she said the photographer put us on either side of my dad because he didn't want us next to each other - seems my giant noggin was eclipsing her or something.

What Ever!

Yes, I am a big noggined girl. My sister is a pea-head. However, I got the thick, shiny hair and she got the limp, thin hair. I win! I just don't wear hats well . . .

Last edited by MissKoo; 07-23-2010 at 11:27 PM.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 18/16/12 (AU dress sizes)

Height: 165cm (5'5")

I have a big head. Standard helmets (for horseriding, bike riding etc) stop at 60cm circumference and that's how big mine is. It's pretty awful. I can't wear so many hats! It's embarrassing and it's got nothing to do with weight -- I had just as big a head when I was 18 and had a BMI of about 19, too.

I think it's one of the reasons why at the lower end of my BMI range people start saying I look "too skinny" haha.
GoldenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #5  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I have a larger head, but only so that I was on the cusp of not fitting hats and stuff. But my oldest daughter, she has ALWAYS been off the charts as far as head size goes. I sometimes joke that I'm glad I had a c-section with her because I can't imagine pushing that noggin out. lol Anyway, she might have a big head, but she's still beautiful. And I'm betting you are too. Oh, and I find that her having curly hair and having bangs makes her head look smaller (it looks bigger when I put her hair up and pull her bangs back), so maybe a hair style could help if you're self conscience about your head size?

ETA: Her head size also seems to help her carry her weight well. She's a big kid, large frame, off the charts in height and weight as well as head size, but you'd never know she was heavier than other kids her height. I think her head helps her balance that. Eh, just a thought.

Last edited by Latchkey Princess; 07-24-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #6  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Boy, did this post catch my eye. My husband has always said I have a big head...I don't know why, but he does. I think I have a big neck, but don't see that my head is large. Now I have a grandson with a big head...and hubby says "oh, he gets it from you."

So..is there a "normal" size for heads? LOL LOL
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #7  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Wow... I just remembered I posted about this. Yea... it's been nearly 2 years... how time flies. Here I am, still the same size, after 2 years. Just thought I'd reminisce. Well, I'm happy to learn that I'm not the only one who struggles with this. I still wonder how my head will look after I lose this weight. I'm so afraid I'm going to look like a bobble head doll if I lose the 40-50 pounds I want to get rid of.

But I'd rather be a thinner bobble head, if that's what it takes. Just hope it all evens out once it's all said and done.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

Well from your pic it doesn't look like you have an abnormally large head And congrats on quitting smoking! I am struggling with that, more the wanting to want to quit part!

My mom loves to tell people she thought I was deformed when I was born because my head was so large. Thanks ma! I am not sure it is too oversized now but it is bigger than my bf's and there is no way I am fitting into any vintage hats. I think people, in general, were just so much smaller back in the day! Also I am pretty large chested which I think, somewhat, camouflages my large head.

Last edited by Jelma; 04-12-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5

I have a big head too. So did my always thin mom and she didn't look out of proportion.

Remember, Johnny Carson once said that the only thing he ever noticed that celebrities had in common was that they had big heads for their body. Maybe it's a good thing.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #10  
Borderline Amazing!!!

Thanks ladies! I had to get a very large motorcycle helmet... My family and friends tried it on and it was huge on them. But it's almost too small for me.
And I can't wear sunglasses without them giving me a headache and leaving the lines on the sides of my head. I hope it all works out. On the other hand... The not smoking has been amazing! It's been over a month and I feel SOOO much better! I didn't really want to quit smoking, to be honest. But my husband did and he needed to. I was starting to get worried about him. So, we took the Chantix and quit together. It has made such a difference!

This morning I ran/walked (C25K stylish) a mile before getting my daughter on the bus and didn't even get winded! Did work up a sweat, but I never noticed how much of an effect the smoking had on me. I definitely feel a lot better.

Good luck to you all in your weight loss. And Jelma, good luck on quitting smoking!! You definitely won't regret it!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

I have the same problem. I usually buy men's sunglasses, and all my hats are men sized. I actually wear two hat sizes bigger than my grandfather! But I didn't find that my head looked to big when I lost weight...I always think it looks to small when I'm heavy, so I use my hair to make it look more balanced.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote