General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #16  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Love this thread. My biggest question is why anyone thinks it is a good idea to have a brand or saying across their rear ends. I do not care if I was a hot 18 year old, no way would I wear something that draws that much attention to my butt.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #17  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

I'm honestly shocked (really!) that so many of you have problems with plus sized stuff being too long. I've always ranted about exactly the opposite - WHY do plus designers think that all overweight women are short? I find shirts to be especially bad about this. I am not, and never will be, short and/or apple shaped. Why not make some tops that hit me somewhere below the waistband of my pants?

I've even resorted to occasionally buying maternity tops just because they tend to be longer. Seriously, it makes me want to learn how to sew my own clothing.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #18  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberries View Post
I'm honestly shocked (really!) that so many of you have problems with plus sized stuff being too long. I've always ranted about exactly the opposite - WHY do plus designers think that all overweight women are short? I find shirts to be especially bad about this. I am not, and never will be, short and/or apple shaped. Why not make some tops that hit me somewhere below the waistband of my pants?

I've even resorted to occasionally buying maternity tops just because they tend to be longer. Seriously, it makes me want to learn how to sew my own clothing.
I'm not as tall as you, but am still on the taller side and apple-shaped. Plus-sized clothes are often too short on me. Unless they're actually designed to be extra long, shirts rise above my belly button (oh how flattering!), and the hems of my jeans often make them resemble pedal-pushers, exposing my lovely white ankles as I stand. Sometimes you can even see my calves as I'm sitting. They work better if I can find "tall" sizes, but that's not always an option.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I've never noticed that plus sized clothes are overly busy, but I just checked out Fashion Bug's tops...oh, my lord. Awful!
Old Navy seems to have some great items, but the quality is just as bad as Fashion Bug.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #20  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
And why don't t-shirts & other tops come with elbow length or 3/4 length sleeves? - why "cap" sleeves?!?!?!?

Seriously....why? Even a little above the elbow would be nice.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #21  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

This thread is cracking me up!! I've been complaining about these very things forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
My theory is that those who design larger clothes hate women !
You know it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
What I struggled with most were the embellishments. When I walked into Lane Bryant or Fashion Bug Plus it was like someone let a toddler loose with a bedazzler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
I've always wondered about this (& hated it!) myself! And it gets WORSE as you age... I'm nearly 50 years old, but I ABHOR what is "stylish" for my age group. I mean, gag.

You'd THINK that anyone who makes women's clothes, esp. larger women's clothes, would use the "eye tricks" that we all KNOW works! - WHY do they sell ANYTHING with horizontal stripes?!?!?!? Vertical or diagonal is SO much leaner looking! And WHY embellish back pockets on jeans?!?!?!?! And why don't t-shirts & other tops come with elbow length or 3/4 length sleeves? - why "cap" sleeves?!?!?!?! And ohdeargoddess don't get me started on "cartoon characters" on the clothes!

Just so much about the fashion industry that makes me want to buy a sewing machine & become the next Gloria Vanderbilt!!!
I agree totally!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
This thread has me laughing. Even if my butt was a size 4, I wouldn't want it bedazzled. I don't get the glitz and embellishments on everything, either. Being 61 with a brain that still thinks it's 30 is hard enough without having to second guess everything that I see and wonder if I can pull it off or if it's too young for me. (Sounds better than I'm too old for it.) And while we're at it, what's up with sales people calling you "honey?"

Lin
I don't know where you're from, but I think the 'honey' thing is a southern thing. When we go 'home,' I enjoy being called 'honey' or 'sweetie' because up here (Iowa and MN), we're always called Ma'am, which I hate!! Ma'am's are either really, really old or running a brothel! (and, by really, really old, I mean 130!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
Love this thread. My biggest question is why anyone thinks it is a good idea to have a brand or saying across their rear ends. I do not care if I was a hot 18 year old, no way would I wear something that draws that much attention to my butt.
yep-no way, no way on the butt decorations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I've never noticed that plus sized clothes are overly busy, but I just checked out Fashion Bug's tops...oh, my lord. Awful!
Yep and that's all we have here, aside from Walmart-oh, I guess there's Kohl's, but I haven't found anything there in 3 years.

Funny thing is that I used to get surveys from stores asking if I had purchased anything on my last visit and why not, so I'd tell them!! Haven't gotten a survey now in about a year....no one cares what we want-just look at rack after rack of clearance stuff that they still can't get rid of at 80% off!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #22  

I go to Ross' and sometimes they have nice things but most of the time the shirts are pastel covered with flowers that look like something my grandma should be wearing. Sometimes I wish I was a fashion designer.
x Ophelia x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #23  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberries View Post

Yup - could have written this response myself. All of it, including the maternity.

Luckily (in some ways) I've always been extremely pear-shaped, so could always fit into a regular Large or XL shirt, so never had to buy shirts in the plus department (which were way huge in the boobs anyway). I was always so happy to bypass those hideous prints, florals, and don't even get me started on the animal prints!

But pants are another story... floods, floods and more floods. I now have resorted to online custom-made jeans - how fantastic to pull something on that actually fits me AND is more than long enough!!!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronni62 View Post
Yep and that's all we have here, aside from Walmart-oh, I guess there's Kohl's, but I haven't found anything there in 3 years.
I will tell you that my world opened up when I started online shopping. I rarely find clothes to buy in stores, but I online shop very often. I just order a lot of clothes and then I have an idea of what size I wear at each store. This is probably why almost all of my pants are the exact same size and cut, just different colors/materials.

I do think it's worth it, especially with the number of stores with free shipping, promo or coupon codes for online only.

I'm loving so many of these shirts.

Last edited by Munchy; 03-28-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
And why don't t-shirts & other tops come with elbow length or 3/4 length sleeves? - why "cap" sleeves?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
Seriously....why? Even a little above the elbow would be nice.
Yes, oh yes! Anything to hide the bingo wings!

I always just get the same stuff from Woman Within, plain solid colors (I like their thermal Ts and thermal shirts and stock up as the seasons change)

NEMom: THIS to your remark about slogans across the butt. That sucks for EVERYONE, plus-size, minus-size, male, female, black, white, CERTAINLY not my age. Where does that idea come from, gangs?

What bugs me is, I like raglan-sleeve baseball shirts, the sleeves one color, the body part another. But they should have a crewneck, NOT a scoop neck, I don't want to show my shoulders too much

Last edited by ANOther; 03-28-2012 at 04:18 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascara blue View Post
Why do you suppose clothes made for bigger sizes are either covered entirely in big bright ugly flowers, or are shiny and really long or all of the above??

What has brought this rant on? I found one of my old "fat days" tops at the bottom of a suitcase which I hadnt opened since moving to the new house. It was so shiny!
I dont think it is problem with bigger sizes only. Most of clothes for all sizes are ugly and poorly made. I dont think shiny dress or dress with big bright ugly flowers sits better on someone size 4 or 6.

Open any website - there are tons of ugly dresses or tops any sizes.
PrincessSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

my biggest complain - WHY almost all jeans are made low rise? These are just not comfortable and look good only if someone has the ideal flat belly.
PrincessSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #28  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsteng View Post
Yup - could have written this response myself. All of it, including the maternity.

Luckily (in some ways) I've always been extremely pear-shaped, so could always fit into a regular Large or XL shirt, so never had to buy shirts in the plus department (which were way huge in the boobs anyway). I was always so happy to bypass those hideous prints, florals, and don't even get me started on the animal prints!

But pants are another story... floods, floods and more floods. I now have resorted to online custom-made jeans - how fantastic to pull something on that actually fits me AND is more than long enough!!!
What?! Where? I have to have these!
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #29  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSophia View Post
my biggest complain - WHY almost all jeans are made low rise? These are just not comfortable and look good only if someone has the ideal flat belly.
Seriously!! I swear clothes are always made for the younger childless crowd. Low rise are just about the worst thing for me.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

One comment on low rise jeans - I'm 61 and well into the "mom jeans" years, regardless of my shape, and don't do well with low rise anything. I have great success with Lee (Rider) jeans and with Basic Editions from K-Mart. The BE come in lots of shades of blue, some in grey and black, too. And they have short, average, and tall in sizes from 4 or 6 (I'm not sure because I don't ever look that low!) up to size 24W. The quality is good for the price. And the price is under $20.00, often on sale for under $15.00. One thing I really like about them is the fact that they are just plain. No junk on the back pockets, no embellishments at all. I wear a 10 or 12 now and used to wear a 24W. K-Mart has been my go to jeans store all along.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 03-31-2012 at 12:18 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote