General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Proper Way to Measure for Bra

What is the right way to measure for a bra? Do you measure with a bra on, even though it does not fit properly or nude? Help me please? I can't fill out by bras anymore.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #2  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

From my understanding, to measure yourself for a bra you measure around from the center/fullest part of your breasts, then you measure around from just underneath your breasts. What you do to figure out cup size is to subtract the second measurement from the first. For example, if your first measurement was 45, and your second was 40, then you're looking at 5 inches difference from the largest/fullest point to the lowest.
1 inch difference = A cup
2 inch = B cup
3 inch = C cup
4 inch = D cup
5 inch = DD cup, etc.

So in the example the size would be 40DD. I think that to get most accurate measurements it would probably be best to wear no bra, or a very thin bra because you want to make sure you get the right cup size. Hope that helps answer what you were asking!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/126/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
From my understanding, to measure yourself for a bra you measure around from the center/fullest part of your breasts, then you measure around from just underneath your breasts. What you do to figure out cup size is to subtract the second measurement from the first. For example, if your first measurement was 45, and your second was 40, then you're looking at 5 inches difference from the largest/fullest point to the lowest.
1 inch difference = A cup
2 inch = B cup
3 inch = C cup
4 inch = D cup
5 inch = DD cup, etc.

So in the example the size would be 40DD. I think that to get most accurate measurements it would probably be best to wear no bra, or a very thin bra because you want to make sure you get the right cup size. Hope that helps answer what you were asking!

This is correct. SO many places tell you to add 4 or 5 inches onto the band (under boob) measurement and this is NOT correct.

I had to heavily research this after my boob job. I got large implants and the more traditional (add 4-5 inches) sites had me at a 34B... when fitted at Nordstroms I am actually a 30/32 E.
SammyPajammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

I agree with the second poster too.

I sew and in a sewing class I took a long time ago, that's how we were taught to measure the right way for dresses/shirts.

I've seen adding the five inches and that doesn't make sense. No bra under that "plan" works for me.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I really agree with you underbust=band size. DON'T ADD INCHES!

That being said, if you're in a really ill-fitting bra right now your bust measurement might be off. So, what's the solution? Take your bra off, bend over so that your upper body is parallel to the ground and measure around your bust, over your nipples. It'll give you a much more accurate measurement than just measuring over a poorly fitting bra.

For instance, I'm still waiting for my new bras to come in the mail but if I measure with my old bra on (that doesn't fit at all) I get 41" around my bust. If I take that bra off and measure with the method mentioned above I get 43-44" that's a pretty big difference!! Now if you have bras that fit you more or less well you should get roughly the same measurements for the two.

Here's how to know if a bra fits you well:

Signs of a poor fit.

How to put on a bra correctly

Signs of a bad bra fitter

Why are many measurement guides wrong?

Are you wearing the correct bra size (with pictures that show what fits and what doesn't)

Bra fitting 101

I talk a lot about bras on my blog and finding clothes that flatters a larger chest (a major issue for me) so this issues touches close to my heart.

There is also an AMAZING database that reviews bras and you can put in your measurements and get recommendations. It's still relatively new but definitely try it out! Bratabase

ETA: Remember this is just a starting point!! You really need to try on bras and see because depending on your breasts shape you might have to go up or down a cupsize and brands vary too.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 09-30-2011 at 11:14 AM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote