General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #31  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Hilarious!
So...I am still as why some think it is ok for 14 year olds to have sex since they know they will have a chance of having babies that they cannot provide for....
Honestly...the 14-year-olds that have babies are usually (though not always) the sort that were told by their parents that abortions were "murder". This whole subject (including abortion) is a HUGE drama trigger, and I'm just not willing to go down that road...but, if a woman (even a very young one) is taught to understand her rights to choice (regardless of the views/dogma/religious ideals expressed by her parents, or without being forced), better choices can be made.

The education that children are receiving at schools regarding sex IS NOT ENOUGH. A school's sex ed should be supplemental to the education that the parent started at an early age. Unfortunately, a lot of parents are leaving it entirely up to the schools to cover these subjects, and the education provided is not only insufficient, but often comes too late for a great deal of teenagers.

Some schools are being forced to teach abstinence-only sex ed curriculum, which is essentially saying "OH SH!T DON'T DO THAT!" and trying to shove the kid's head into the sand. Scare tactics, while often effective in the short-term, do not create healthy individuals. Sex is not something to be ashamed of, nor is it "dirty" or "immoral". Implying such causes a myriad of issues for a teen, many of which carry on into adulthood. Many of us can relate to the feeling of insecurity one can feel without clothes on - that feeling is only magnified by erroneous scrutiny from a somewhat delicate age.

I agree that virtually all young teens are not capable of being the sole care providers for infants (there are some few and far between exceptions). However, if abortions were made mandatory for people under the age of 18, people would be just as upset about that as they are about young people having sex. There is no winning, as everyone sees this subject a bit differently.

I'm trying to avoid ranting (can you see me stepping on and off of the soapbox here? *laughs*), and this is such a divisive issue that I really think we shouldn't plunge into it (the thread will be shut down if we do, and I think that's unnecessary)...but I think we can all agree that keeping our young people in the dark about their anatomies and sexualities can only lead to more trouble.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #32  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think the OPs question has been answered. I personally think you can't determine if someone should have sex based on their ability to take care of children. If someone wants to have sex, they will find a way. Better sex education is what we need, more for STDs than anything. I've also known some young girls that have had children at a very young age and flourished without as mothers. On the other hand, there are some women older than myself who are a mess.
Closed Thread