General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Default When should I call back asking if I got the job??

I went on a job interview for a position I really want. I got great vibes from the two people interviewing me. They spoke in the future tense alot "ie you would be doing this etc" and They told me they would call on Monday about their decision. I sent each interviewer a hand written and email thank you note. It seemed like I am exactly what they are looking for.

This job would be with a government program and I have heard from other people that they get swamped and take awhile to get back to you. I got a call back a month after I sent them my resume. When I finally got called the lady called me at 8:30 PM and said that this was the only time she could call me because she's so busy. When she called me about an interview it was around 9:30 PM. In other words it's completely feasible that they got sidetracked.

The problem is I'm going crazy. Leaving a girl waiting on some important info with the leftover halloween candy was not a good idea haha. I'm thinking I should wait until Thursday morning. I just don't want to screw anything up by not being patient. Any working professional have any thoughts on the appropriate time to call back.

thanks.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/250/150

Height: 5'6"

When we hire, it often takes a day or two more than we expect to get the offer letters from HR. It is probably something administrative and calling won't really speed up the process. I think the note and email are a very nice touch, but I would try to relax and wait a few days longer. If you don't hear back by next week, give them a call and ask for feedback on your interview.
Macomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

After a week I would call and say that you are really interested in the position and ask where you are in the process. An email is less likely to annoy, but you will get a lot more information from a call. I would not leave voice mail if you don't get an answer. I work in publishing sales FT and am a recruiter on the side, for what that's worth.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #4  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

As someone who has been on both ends, I do understand your frustration and desire to know the status.

However, to be completely honest - no one has ever lost a job with me because they DIDNT call back to see the status of them getting an offer . When I have good news, I promptly follow up. However, often times these things can get delayed...some other hiring manager has an opinion or steals the role from under you...HR doesnt agree to the salary you want...ref checking takes forever...or I decide to interview for another month because Im not completely sold.

I tend to suggest the following:
- immediately after (1-3 days), email the hiring manager to say thanks and to follow up on any lingering questions they may have asked of you. Do not email every single person you interviewed with - that is always such an odd thing when it happens.
- do not bother them again for a full 2 weeks from that last email. and then it should just be a friendly reminder that you are still very interested.
- no further contact. yes, I know that is hard when things sound so positive. but really, if they want you they will call you.

Only exceptions to those suggestions:
- if they have engaged you in a dialogue, obviously follow up
- if you end up with a competing offer, and you really think they were going to make you an offer. You can let them know you have an offer on the table and what date you need to make a decision by (always pad that date by 3 days at least!).
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

thanks guys this makes me feel alot better. I'm still taking my phone with me to the bathroom and getting jumpy everytime it rings lol.

Just a few more details. They told me in the interview how much I would be making and I was told that they would be calling to give me their ok but I would still have to file paperwork and pass a background check etc which would take 2-3 weeks.

Also I only interviewed with them last Thursday and I think they saw people on Friday too.

also to xty I want to remind you that they said they would call on Monday and specifically asked when would be a good time to call on monday.

The office was not open for election day.

My car died last wednesday, I'm broke and I REALLY need a job. I'm kind of in limbo waiting to hear from them so I can determine what I'm going to do next.

They need a specific statement from my college department, I told them I was eligible but had not gotten around to filing for it. I will get it in the mail early next week. I was thinking that once I get it I would make a trip down there, drop it off and ask about the job (if they don't call me before then).
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I wouldn't call. I would send a letter (snail mail) perfectly typed, etc, I would thank them for the opportunity of the interview, and am wating for an answer, (something like that). If they are going to offer you a job, they will contact you. But they will appreciate a letter and will remember you for your thoughtfulness.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

A lot depends on the job role/industry.

In sales it's practically a test to see if you will follow up appropriately and I have gotten jobs where I followed up weekly for up to two months. I can think of at least three instances of this.

I applied for my first job in sales at a company I liked that was not hiring and applied three times in total directly to the sales director (hiring manager), the last time after six months when I had gotten more experience as a contractor elsewhere. Then I touched base weekly for 3 weeks and got hired.

So, as I said, I'm sure it really depends on the job role.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote