General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #1  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

Default Destroying All Evidence Of Fat Photos

I've read a few posts/threads where individuals are so ashamed of their prior bodies that when they finally start to lose weight or meet their weight goal — they demolish the existence of their fat photos. POOF, gone. Seriously? There's no way I'm going to go through all my overweight photos and destroy all evidence of me being "fat". That's just ridiculous in my bluntly honest opinion. Why is it so ridiculous? Because I'd be erasing memories and moments with my husband, family and friends. So what if I'm overweight. Big whoop. In fact, I love being able to compare my before photos and my after photos. It's really what keeps me driven more than any other kind of motivator. And besides and probably more importantly, just because you were previously fat doesn't mean you were any less or different of a person. I think that is where people lose themselves, is when you get caught up in that mindset that now because you're at goal, you're suddenly more valuable a human being and all else should be erased. Of course, not everyone, there's always an exception or two to every rule.

So are you a destroyer? Or are you a keeper? And, why?
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #2  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Well, I haven't destroyed any, but when I met my dh I was at goal and I wouldn'ty let him see any pics of fat me until I was absolutely sure he wasn't the type to run a mile when he realised how big I used to be.

I don't like looking at them though.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Nope, I couldn't do that - not only would I erase any evidence of my existance between ages 12-22 & then from 26-now, I would lose my last pictures with my dad before he died, I'd lose my first pictures with my children, I'd lose the first 5 years old my daughters life...just too many precious memories to get rid of. And what exactly would it accomplish? It isn't like it can undo the past. The past is the past - being fat then is part of what makes me who I am now.

Last edited by fitkristi; 10-13-2010 at 09:28 AM.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #4  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i can count on 1 hand how many photos we have of me in the house. not many. i would guess i would keep, because it's evidence of how far i've come. i've been saying i would lose and be healthy for almost 10 years. my kids whole childhoods. now i am. the pictures are also evidence of what can happen again.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #5  
Starting again.

S/C/G: 263/217/145

Height: 5' 7"

I go to a family event each year that we end with a trip to a photo booth. Right now I have my strip of photos of me at 265 last year next to my strip of photos of me at 205 this year right next to each other on the fridge. I am happy every time I look and see how much healthier I look, and how I can tell that I was not fake smiling this year. I hope to add an even better one next year.

Last edited by Stace; 10-13-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Stace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

No, I think it's silly to destroy old fat pictures. Now there are some really bad hair day types I may weed out. But I was fat for a long time and it's a part of my history. Destroying the pictures doesn't change a thing...I was still fat.

And who cares what others think of them? Those pictures are past.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I haven't destroyed any...in fact my husband and I have two photos of the two of us above our fireplace - one pre-weight loss, and one now. The difference is amazing, and it is a reminder of how far we've come and how much better we look and feel now than we did then...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #8  
Never Never Never Give Up

S/C/G: FATTER/FAT/HEALTY

Height: 5'6

I wont destroy any, that way if I "fall off plan" I can look at them & remind myself of how heavy I once was.
BlueEyedWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290.6/278.8/135

If I threw out all picctures of me fat then there would be no pictures of me at all! I have never been thin.
CourtneyDaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #10  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

I didnt let pix be taken of me at my highest weight, so they dont exist to destroy!

I found ONE at a relative's house, from a funeral (cant really say no). I have begged, pleaded, attempted to bribe - and cant seem to get anyone to actually send me a copy. I guess people get stuck in their own day to day and cant see how a simple act could mean SO much.

Anyway. I would give a lot for a pic of me at my biggest. It is the most amazing motivation and reality check.

Also, after being much smaller for 10 years....I dont even care about the old 200+lbs pix that people post on facebook sometimes.

It is a part of who I was, and the shame has taken so much longer to lose than the weight.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Not a destroyer. Some of the best times of my life were when I was heavier, and everyone whose opinion I value knows what I look like and doesn't care.

I still hate unflattering photos of me floating around Facebook though. You know, the kind you see and go "AGGHH" and detag in 2 seconds...
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 238/215/160

Height: 5'7"

It would never cross my mind to destroy all fat-photos. Sure, I have deleted photos taken while I was fat that I would have deleted even if I were skinny...they are just that unbecoming.
No, I don't like looking at pictures of me at my heaviest (262#), but they do show me how far I have come. Besides, most people who would see the pics/albums in the first place *know* I was fat.
Twiddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

I was ashamed of being fat, still am but I've posted my pics. and all people comment on is my pretty face, lol. I use sparkpeople.com also and they recommend a before pic to motivate yourself and others!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been obese since age 5, and while I wish I had more photos of "not quite that fat" younger mes, I can't imagine unwishing my entire life (which destroying the photos would feel like).

I'm especially attached to my wedding photos (My husband and I were both at or near our highest weights when we married).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #15  
Back at it

S/C/G: 264/ticker/150

Height: 5'3

I would and do that. They have some great memories. Plus they can be inspirational, I wouldn't want to let myself be that heavy again.
yellsa is offline   Reply With Quote