General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #1  
Love on a Diet

S/C/G: HW:155 SW:147/141/107

Height: 5'2"

Default HUGE on ABC Family

Who else watches this show??

If you haven't seen it, you can watch the whole season on hulu.com right now:
http://www.hulu.com/huge (Search "huge" if the link doesn't work.)

It's a dramedy about a fat camp, starring Nikki Blonsky (from Hairspray) and Hayley Hasselhoff (yes, the Hoff's daughter). I think it's quite revolutionary because it shows fat bodies on television (even in *gasp* swimsuits), and deals with a lot of issues that I'm sure we can all relate to. I think it's a great show, and I really hope they come back for another season!
MiniMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #2  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I watched it!! I thought it was really really good!! I could relate to a lot of them too. I really hope it comes back for another season.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #3  
Love on a Diet

From what I can tell, Hayley is not wearing padding, she makes excellent outfit choices. I think it would be silly for her to wear padding!

I too think she's a healthy average size girl, especially in comparison to all the other girls on the show. However, the whole crux of her character is that SHE thinks she should be at a fat camp - which casts into the light the ridiculousness of what girls are often told that we should look like. She's not "Hollywood fat" either. She's at least a size 12, which makes her considerably bigger than the 0's and 2's we often see on TV.

I'm glad Hayley's character is on the show, I really sympathize with her. Because I'm at least her size and I recognize all the same issues she has, struggling to deal with a body that's not the ideal image, thinking that a partner won't like me because I'm too fat (even if that's not the case)... So yeah, having Hayley on the show is actually meant to underscore all the problems that you think it may cause. She's perfect for the role.

Nikki is the opposite end of the spectrum, she is kind of a stand-in for the idea of fat-acceptance, where people just love their bodies and love who they are. Yes, obesity can lead to health problems, and yes, many obese people are very unhealthy...but not all. I can really admire that kind of peace with her body.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I think Nikki is conflicted about her weight and sexuality and is rebelling against societal expectations. I totally love and can relate to her awkward high school outsiderness. I love the show and hope they renew it.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #5  
I was born this way hey!

I don't think Nikki was ever on DWTS. Marissa Jaret Winokur was though. She played Tracey on Broadway. If she is comfortable with how she looks, then all the props to her. It's her life. I'm sure somewhere down the line, she'll lose some weight.

As for Haley, I think she has lost some weight. In older pictures, she looks a little heavier than how she looks now. I bet they consider her to be plus size though. I've seen her on the Torrid website.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers Fan View Post
Are you talking about the character or the actress? Nikki Blonsky is 21 and I don't think I've heard anything about her having issues with her sexuality.
Oh, 100% the character, sorry to be unclear.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #7  
Love on a Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers Fan View Post
I guess it's a common mistake. I googled it and a lot of people thought it was Nikki. My bad. I still don't agree with the show's premise but not everyone likes every show on television.
I'm curious, what do you think the show's premise is? Have you ever watched it?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #8  
Love on a Diet

Ah, you see, we are in agreement here. You're absolutely right! a 12 should not be a dreaded plus-size, and certainly not HUGE.

But it's clear to me you've never seen the show, because that's what it seeks to deconstruct. See, Hayley's character Amber represents all those normal-sized girls out there who believe they're fat due to the images they see in magazines and on TV and in the movies. At camp, Amber is the "skinny girl," and when everybody talks about losing weight for their health, Nikki Blonsky's character gestures at her and says, "You want to tell me she's here for her health?" Everybody knows Amber's stunningly beautiful - she's the only one who can't see it.

When I look at Amber's character and I see how beautiful she is, I realize (as the audience is meant to) how ridiculous it is that she thinks she's fat and unattractive. I also sympathize with her (being a 12/14 myself), with her insecurity and her body hatred, because those are issues that are familiar to young girls all over, especially if you're not of a perfect size.

She's still bigger than all the girls on all the other shows on TV. So it's important to me that she's on the show and she's allowed to be the beautiful girl, which you would never see on any other show on TV. Would it be better if Hayley were on a show that had nothing to do with fat at all, and she was still allowed to be the pretty girl? Of course! But, unfortunately, we're still a ways from that happening, which is why I'm glad she plays the role she does.

Nikki's character, Will, is the exact opposite of Amber, and she's funny and refreshing. She actually dares to like her body even though she's fat, and she finds all the forced weight-loss measures as "body fascism."

The show HUGE isn't like The Biggest Loser or any of those shows, where kids are shown to be fat, they know they're fat, and the happy ending is that they all lose weight. Instead, it shows fat bodies on television but not in a mocking way, not played for laughs, and while it deals with self-image and weight issues, the kids are also allowed to be kids. They develop crushes on each other. They have fun. they enjoy exercise. It feels real, and authentic, and it's amazing because these characters are shown as real people and not just their fat.

Also, Amber gets the hot guy. That's awesome.

Sorry I'm writing a novel, but I feel really strongly about Amber's character. Because for what it's worth, this show is actually a step forward in a positive direction.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #9  
I was born this way hey!

I totally agree MiniMo.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/165

Height: 5' 7"

Ohh, I love this show. I think it's so great. I really don't have much more to say on it besides that.
ashley nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #11  

I don't know if it will do any good, but it's been canceled and this is a petition to renew it:

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/savehuge
Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #12  
I was born this way hey!

Those sometimes help. It saved Gilmore Girls & Chuck. I signed it.