General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

View Poll Results: What best describes your attitude toward sweet, food-scented candles & fragrances?
I avoid them. They cause cravings and/or trigger binges. 4 14.29%
I like them. They help me stay on plan and satisfy my craving for sensory stimulation. 4 14.29%
Artificial food fragrances don't affect me either way. To me, it's like smelling flowers or perfume. 16 57.14%
My life is unscented, due to my or a family member's sensitivity or allergies to fragrances. 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #1  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Default Poll: The Affect of Food-Scented Candles & Room Scent & Such

I'm one of those females who has always liked to burn scented candles in her apartment, or have bowls of potpourri on the living room tables, or try out those reed diffuser thingys, or put plug-in air fresheners into electrical sockets. You get the idea. My apartment doesn't smell like a gift shop, exactly, but I am trying for a certain ambience.

Anyway, until recently I avoided cookie-, candy-scented or any other food-scented room scents like the plague. I went for the florals, spices & so-called "clean" scents instead. Room scents that smelled like goodies, to my way of thinking, might end up being triggers. Maybe not immediately, but they might linger in my mind & make me crave something I might not think of, all on my own.

I'm just curious whether others have considered this.

Last edited by saef; 06-25-2010 at 11:02 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Is it possible to add:
- Food scents, whether natural or artificial, smell nice but neither trigger nor satisfy me
- My life is unscented because my mom never liked candles (except on birthday cakes); candles may add a warm glow to some lives but all she thinks is FIRE HAZARD! Also she doesn't have a very good sense of smell since she broke her nose when she was little, so hasn't gone out of her way to add scent to our ambience through other means (I'll put lilacs, lilies of the valley or peonies from our back yard in a vase and that's all the smell we get)

Last edited by ANOther; 06-26-2010 at 07:09 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Food scented candles are my favorites. They've never triggered me, but I could see how it might not work for everyone. Right now I have one that smells like lemon poundcake.

Saef, you are just lovely in your pictures! Your after is just great; love the haircut.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #4  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

This is a really cool topic!

I think that they smell good, but it's just a smell. Seeing food is more what does it for me. I watch the Food Network to satisfy cravings... haha.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Honestly, most food scented candles (cookies, cake icing, etc.) make me nauseous! They are too sickeningly sweet for me. There are gingerbread-type, apple/cinammon or berry ones that I like and some vanilla is okay. They don't affect me one way or the other on hunger/cravings though.

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 06-25-2010 at 01:58 PM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Used to buy vanilla scented candles and one that was called sugar cookie but don't anymore. I don't go on a binge but when I would burn them they definitely made me want something sweet. During the holidays though I will burn something spicy like a pumpkin pie scent...just makes me think of thanksgiving. Right now my fav scent is the Black Cherry yankee scent...love it!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Angie uses a lot of candles in the house but she uses pretty much only PartyLite ones....they seem to be less offensive than many others.

My son brought us back a soy candle several years ago from a trip to the mid-west...it was called margherita....light green...we used it every night...then another one...somewhere along the line we lost the website....sure wish I still could get that one...very pleasant to burn.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

My cousin is a rep for Sparta Candles (anyone in Southwestern Ontario, Canada has probably heard of them. They are so nice. I have a coffee scented candle here from her, that I'm just itching to burn. They don't trigger cravings for me, but the cheaper candles seem to trigger migraines in me. So, as with a lot of things in life I am willing to splurge.

Last edited by CanadianCutie; 06-27-2010 at 11:03 AM.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #9  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Not quite candles... but I can't stand floral scents. For me... they just smell disgusting. Food scented things (my body sprays are: apricot, coconut, and this wood and fruit mix thing) are the things I like. They have zero effect on actual food cravings though...
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 241/217.2/150

Height: 5'6

I use Scentsy warmers instead of candles. They are wickless and flameless (they use a low watt light bulb) so there is no soot on the walls and ceilings and I don't have to worry about the kids knocking them over and starting a fire.
Right now I have camu camu in my kitchen (kind of orangey), Mayflower in my living room (flowery), Clean Breeze in my bathroom (very clean smell), and satin sheets in our bedroom (romantic).
I enjoy all the scents Scentsy offers and they are always warming in my house. Even the 'food' ones.
thisis4me is offline   Reply With Quote