General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #31  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

tons of great ideas already.

I don't know, buying myself stuff as a reward never seemed to help me much weight loss wise in the sense of a motivation. seeing smaller sizes fit, that is pretty dang cool, and I can try on clothes for free!

I think making sure I don't feel deprived in the sense of enjoying my life helps me, but that doesn't mean I have to fork out large amounts of cash. Reading (libraries have DVDs, CDs too), walking, sight seeing or going to places I haven't been in a while that I enjoy.

mindset can go a long way.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #32  

When I lost 80 pounds, my favorite and most memorable 'rewards' were the compliments I got. I compiled them all in a notebook, and it was always rewarding to read them.

This is kind of corny, but what about making a "chain" of paper clips with one clip per each pound you've lost? Not to wear or anything, just to have a visual reminder of your success.

How about doing your measurements?

Sort through your closet and have a going-away party for your fat clothes. Save a few favorites so you can take them in. Save the worst pieces as a reminder.

Take a photo of yourself wearing your "fat pants" and holding them out so you can show how much you've lost.

Do a "photo shoot" with a friend and post new pictures of yourself on facebook, your avatars, your blog, etc.

Find an activity that you could NOT do at your higher weight, and go do it. Running up some steps, canoeing, dancing, etc.

Take a half-day and dedicate it to doing your favorite hobby or artistic outlet. A lack of resources forces us to work with what's available, and it enhances the creative process.

I also like matinees or seeing movies (even by myself) at the $3 theater.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #33  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

Having been 80lbs. lighter just three years ago, and the size I am now less than 6 yrs. ago, and being a pack-rat, I have several outfits that don't quite fit me yet. Even with the 15 lbs. I have lost, some of them are fitting, and others are darn close. I have several pairs of jeans in various sizes, ranging from 22's to 12's that don't fit yet, but what I do is pick the next size down, and keep trying it on to check my progress. For instance, my 22's now zip (they don't fit yet, just zip, lol), though they wouldn't even close a month ago, and wouldn't get over my hips the first time I tried them back on. When I can wear them in public again, that will be a lovely "reward."

I have a beautiful spaghetti-strap lavender hippie dress that fit perfectly when I got it, around 230 lbs. After it seemed it would never fit again, I gave it to my sister with the instructions that she could have it until I fit into it again. If my weight-loss continues on track, I will have a fabulous reward next (not this) summer, and she will be less a gorgeous dress.

Last edited by eratosthanes; 02-21-2010 at 03:04 PM.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #34  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Free rewards:
- trip to the library for books, DVD, magazines
- declare a pajama day (obviously on a non-work day) and spend the day lounging around in your pjs
- invite a friend over for a game of cards
- go to a park and enjoy the scenery
- call up a friend you haven't talked to in a while and chat
- write in a journal about how great you feel to have met your goal
- come here to 3fc and post about meeting your goal!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #35  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

As a poor person who literally doesn't have an extra dollar to spend on rewards, I usually just use time to myself as a reward. I have two small children and a husband and four dogs, getting out of the house is a true reward. I go for a drive around town, or for a walk if it's warm enough outside, or even just go to the local Wal*Mart and walk around for a half an hour. I do have one monetary reward set up for when I reach my goal, but I'm saving for it even now, socking away a dollar here and fifty cents there. And when I get to my goal I WILL get a Coach purse.

Last edited by Latchkey Princess; 02-21-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote