General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #1  
losing weight not my mind

Default Weight/Size Discrimination

...specifically employment - while seeking a job have you ever encountered discrimination based on your size? i.e. Do you feel that potential employers or current employers have treated you differently based on your size?

In your current job are you treated as an outcast due to your size? (particularly if you are quite new?)

I'd just like to know how much of this really goes on. It's hard to get any solid evidence of it because it's always a matter of he-said/she-said when it comes to jobs. Just like racial discrimination, I believe that weight/size discrimination can easily take place as long as they give a standard reason for not hiring you or firing you.

I know there are always loopholes involved in hiring and firing and regardless of how many laws we have in place to protect us (or the employer), in the end they will always hire the person they "like" best, not the person who is best qualified for the position.
skinnyin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #2  

I personally have not experienced size discrimination in the three job hirings I've had since graduating college. I have also been fortunate to have short job searches.

My first job I was obese, probably between 220 and 230. It took a few months to GET my first job, but of course I had no experience. I did not feel I was being judged during the interview. I worked with two people, and were both friendly and I never felt like my weight affected their behavior.

For my second Job it only took about a month to get. I weighed about the same still. The person I interviewed with is a very friendly, happy guy and I didn't feel judged at all, nor by the Big Boss (I work in labs, so I interviewed with a post doc Id work directly for, and then the Principal investigator, who runs it all). Once I started working there, the only discrimination I felt was from the "clique girls". It was probably a combination of my weight, and my Strange Hobbies (sewing, medieval reenactment, anime, etc). The rest of the people didn't seem to care that I could tell. I did find that the non-americans (there are many in R & D labs) were way more open and friendly from the beginning than the american-bred girls. I was the only REALLY overweight person, the only VERY overweight person, the only PARTICULARLY overweight person at this job pretty much. Most of the people I worked with were not overweight. I do believe it was because most of them were foreign, though. Foreigners that come to the country seem to be of normal weight usually (I'm in the Boston area).

For my 3rd job I had already lost a considerable amount of weight and was smack in the middle of overweight (167 at the time). I noticed no discrimination there either. At my current job there aren't any really overweight people. I'd say the heaviest folks are borderline between overweight and obses (i.e. 30-40 pounds overweight by the charts). Most of the people at my company are American, and most of them are slightly overweight. The foreign folks (indian, chinese) are NOT overweight.

I live in Massachusetts, always have. The obesity rate in this state is fairly low, about 21%, and overweight is something like 50%. So, less people are overweight here than many other places, but still, 50%. I think if you experience discrimination it is a combination of in your head, and the person you are interviewing with. Maybe it varies by location as well. I have been very fortunate to have worked for friendly, open, non-judegemental people at all 3 of my jobs.

EDIT - Why does R & D (when not spaced like that) get censored???)

Last edited by Tarisaande; 01-15-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I did not experience it at my company with me personally (6 promotions in 9 years) and I hired a lot of people while I was there and it never crossed my mind if the person I was interviewing was fat, especially if they presented themselves well (professionally dressed and groomed). If you are confident in your abilities and project a professional image, I really think people will do fine, but I'm sure there are always exceptions to the rule.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 01-15-2010 at 12:13 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

It would be hard to say for sure, but yes, I think that at certain times in my life, my weight has counted against me that way. In some jobs appearance is very important and that is just the way it is. Another big one is age discrimination...also hard to prove...no one is gever going to come out and tell you , but yes I think you get treated very differently when you fit in with what society considers beautiful and attractive.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

i think it depends what field you are in. I have been morbidly obese throughout my adult life. My first jobs were in a bank dealing with letters of credit and later IRA account discrepancies. Both bank jobs I was basically hired on the spot. Before that, I had a degree in psych and was a new grad and no one even was willing to interview me so, while i did have a long job search, they didnt know what i looked like so that couldnt be to blame.

This is going to sound strange but I think some of my breaks in nursing have been BECAUSE I am obese. My first nursing job was as a nurse assistant at an urban hospital. I went into the interview and my future boss seemed to relax the minute she saw me. It could be the way i was dressed. I was probly more professional looking than some people who go for those jobs. I was in a suit. I dont know for sure but both of us were average looking, extremely obese women....it was like we instantly had something in common lol....and I'm not a threat to women when I'm big. Most nurses, at least in florida (my only experience i have with nursing), are obese or overweight women. I worked there till I graduated from nursing school. Then I had only one interview and got the job on the spot again so I really have no bad experiences and only good ones to share.

Last edited by katkitten; 01-16-2010 at 10:58 PM.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

wow...i just realized im really lucky....now if only some of that luck would spill over into the relationship dept....then i'd be set lol
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #7  
Rachel Ann

S/C/G: 305/ticker/185

Height: 5'5"

I have absolutely been discriminated against in the work force.

I have been a big girl for quite some time now...but I feel my weight is very balanced. When I have shown people my weight...they are floored..and not in a "I want to make this chubby girl feel good about herself" kind of way.
I guess I'm kind of lucky, I put myself together. I love to dress nice, and get my hair done, and have always had a love for tasteful makeup. I have an excellent work background, and am very put together. So, basically if I am qualified enough for a job, my appearance shouldn't be holding me back.

However, I got a job a few years ago at a staffing agency. I worked there for 6 months before I was laid off. I was hired in at a position lower than the rest of my co-workers only making $8/hour. I did the same work as the rest of my co-workers, went above & beyond, and actually made a few high dollar sales that benefited the company.

One day, my boss called me into his office ( I thought I was being promoted) & told me "With the economy & all, it's just not going to work out. We are going to have to let you go, it's nothing you did really...just the timing."
So...I started balling & packed up my desk & headed out the door. I had never EVER been let go, I've always been promoted in every single job I've ever held. I worked my butt off & was let go.

Come to find out...10 minutes after I left he had brought in a girl ( I had interviewed) and gave her my position. Now, this sounds strange right? With the economy going under...letting me go...why would he hire someone else? I asked the same questions. I found out from my co-workers (who were devestated I was let go) that she was indeed hired. They told me her name...and she was the girl I had interviewed the day before.

She was a barbie doll....light brown long straight hair, probably a size 4, legs that went on for days, and was an amazing dresser.

A few weeks before when we were hiring for a new "front desk coordinator" he would tell us to email him to walk by our desks to look at perspective applicants. Many times I would have someone at my desk more than qualified for the position & he would say no to them. They weren't the most attractive people. He said he wanted us to be mindful of the "professional image" he was trying to portray.

So yeah...I was let go (for my weight) and replaced by a Barbie who only worked for him for about 2 months!

I should have sued....but I just took the unemployment.

PS: He fired me 1 month to the day before my wedding...what an a**

But you know it worked out. I got married, and got a job through that staffing agency & was hired on full time by the company I still work for (2 years later) making $30k MORE than I was making there!!!
TheJourneyStartsNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 AM   #8  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

I haven't had jobs outside of being a TA while in grad school yet. I graduate this summer and I'm really nervous about it. I'm looking at a job in the computer industry, specifically in programming video games, where (many)guys think all girls need DDD's and a 20" waist in real life too. So I'm stressed out about it, I guess.
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #9  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I applied for a job and was told they were hiring, but the next day when I interviewed, I was told they weren't! This was at a grocery store, and on my way out I bought a few groceries. The girl who checked me out mentioned she had just been hired the previous day. She was sixteen and looked like she wore a dress size in the negative numbers.

This is how a lot of companies get around any kind of discrimination laws. They can always say they're not hiring, and I couldn't prove they didn't hire her to the last empty position *before* I showed up.

I've been on disability for years but I'm easing back into the job market now, going through a program especially for people with disabilities. It will help me in the search, I think (and hope.) When I'm told a company "isn't hiring," especially if I'm answering a classified ad placed by that company, I always want to ask, "Which is it? My age, my weight, or my cane?"

Oh, and Rachel, I worked for a company once that ended up laying off exactly three employees due to "budget cuts." One was black, one was morbidly obese, and we all suspected the third (a slim, attractive caucasian) was a decoy so the other two couldn't protest.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 01-20-2010 at 03:25 AM.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #10  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Here in Texas being a big girl is an assett because everyone is big. And we all know skinny people can't be trusted.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have to say even at my highest weight, I was amazed at how well I was treated. At one point in my career, I found out I was being paid more than most of my male coworkers. I'm not sure if the difference is that I work in a male dominated/technical field or what but our company definitely takes discrimination and treated employees fairly very seriously.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #12  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarisaande View Post
I live in Massachusetts, always have. The obesity rate in this state is fairly low, about 21%, and overweight is something like 50%. So, less people are overweight here than many other places, but still, 50%. I think if you experience discrimination it is a combination of in your head, and the person you are interviewing with. Maybe it varies by location as well. I have been very fortunate to have worked for friendly, open, non-judegemental people at all 3 of my jobs.
Hi other Massachusettsian!
After I temperarly moved down to Virgina, I quickly noticed the size difference. Wow! I didn't believe it when the media brings up the obeasity rate in America... until I spent some serious time out of this state. Heck, my BMI is a little less than 31, and I feel absolutely huge (though I have a low self image, so that probably adds to it).

As for the topic at hand... I couldn't say. I'm always afraid that my weight would effect the outcome of an interview, but I haven't really had one, so I don't know. Do I think it happens? Sure, all the time. As I'm sure that age extreme age, sex, or race effect if you're hired.

Heck, do you think would be employed: An obese women applied to work at Hooters and who has exceptional experience or the smokin' hot blond with the big rack, who hasn't had a job in her life?
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote